PDA

View Full Version : ratios and transporting in car

mum26
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I am getting myself very confused but think I know the answer.

I am thinking about registering my daughter as an assistant. I think we will be allowed 8 under 8s, 6 under 5s. At the moment I have a Vauxhall Zafira - although will be changing this, my daughter has Ford Ka.

Realistically, she would only be able to fit 2 in the rear of her car - we would have to search around for slimmer child seats.

Consequently, would it be ok it I transported the other 4 (assuming we were full) in my car. I do have a variation for 4 children on my own, 1 day a week so on that day it would be ok - but I suppose I would have to have an ok from Ofsted to transport 4 alone on the other days?

I think the answer is to look for an 8 seater car - but there aren't that many around and the ones there are seem to have reliability issues.

This is proving to be such a headache - don't think I want to stay in all the time though.

Penny1959
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes you would have to ask Ofsted for permission / variation to transport 4 on your own.

Maybe a silly question - but as long as not baby in rear facing seat, could she not have one car seat in the front?

Penny :)

carol cameron
06-03-2011, 11:27 AM
You would also need to have permission for your daughter to have sole care of children if they were in her car without you. That means a first aid certificate which she may already have and written permission from parents. :)

mum26
06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for quick replies.

She has first aid and I would obtain permission before she took children out. Front seat would be an option - will have to look into which car seats will fit now.

nicoleon
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
sorry, a bit off topic but i've got an 8 seater mazda bongo which is super reliable and fab in every way!

mum26
06-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Great - that's what I need to hear! I have been looking (only in last couple of days though) at Citroen C8 and Peugeot 807 but reviews seem very varied. Having said that I have a Zafira (X reg.) which is supposed to be reliable and mine hasn't been - so I suppose it depends on individual car sometimes.

rickysmiths
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
You would also need to have permission for your daughter to have sole care of children if they were in her car without you. That means a first aid certificate which she may already have and written permission from parents. :)

You also have on you Reg Cert that the Assistant can be left alone with the children before she could go out in the car with tthem on her own.

sharons
06-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi dont forget I think you would also need insurance for childminders for your daughters car as well

Chatterbox Childcare
06-03-2011, 02:40 PM
To answer your questions yes I would think that Ofsted would grant the variation but you would need to apply each time the children change and their variations are not blanket permission

It would also be beneficial if you had 1 car as you could have 1 expense of petrol etc and you can claim an extra .05p per mile because of the assistant. Your daughter wouldn't have to have business insurance either, another potential saving