PDA

View Full Version : First Aid courses, do you get what you pay for?

onceinabluemoon
06-03-2011, 07:45 AM
I was booked onto a local adult education centres course for Paed first aid and they cancelled it 4 days before I was due to start (leaving me with a rapidly expiring certificate!).

I did my initial course with them 3 years ago and to be perfectly honest was less than impressed but I was hoping that was down to the individual trainer who has now retired.

I was lucky enough to find a place on a St John Ambulance course 20 miles away from where I live and attended part one yesterday. I couldn't believe the difference! So much more professional, more interesting, better planned, just much much better all around!

The SJA course cost me £40 more for the 12 hour course. (almost £120)

I'm wondering now if others have had similar experiences, ie you pay more you get a better training experience or if I was just lucky/unlucky

Your thoughts?

Louise0208
06-03-2011, 08:03 AM
mine was over 3 weeks (3 full saturdays) and it was brilliant, i did mine with first graide UK it cost around £120 but think its gone up this year!

iv had the same problems as you regarding cancellations, twice my safegurding course has been cancelled, 1st time due to overbooking (found out day before) second time due to snow (wouldnt mind but we had no snow & it was cancelled the week before....just incase :rolleyes: ) i now have to go next saturday, fingers crossed it happens as i have my ofsted inspection at any time & will get marked down big time if its not completed by then.....and each time they cancel it costs me a fortune on childcare as i still have to pay :angry:

so far It has took 18 months to get onto a safeguarding course even though i phone up on the date release days.....its so frustrating when the DO calls to ask why iv not completed all required courses yet! :censored:

Pixie dust
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I feel so lucky that at the moment in my area all mandatory training is provided free but we do have to pay for any other proffessional development courses which is normally around £10.

This may all change when the new training program comes out in July

mufftie
06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree st johns is much better , more informative and it was made fun with lots of practical the company that foes it now is rubbish far too much legislation and not enough nitty gritty and real practical advice

lou lou
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
allways done st johns ambulance been quite lucky here as it has been funded and cost me about £40 but that could change next time i need to do it.

venus89
06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I've also been lucky that my training was free (and we got a free lunch with my last first aid course too :thumbsup: ) but here too it looks as though that's coming to an end. Daft really that they can't carry the pot of gold they have left from this year's budget over to next year and put it towards training rather than having to spend lots now....

sonia ann
06-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Been really lucky here, we still get funding for our first aid course.
I always do it with my local playgroup as they have enough people to warrant the provider coming to their premises on three separate evenings. I also know everyone which is nice.
I asked if I could book a space for my daughter this time as I want to register her as my assistant . I was happy to pay for her as I haven't set the wheels in motion for her registration yet.
When I went to pay the medic on the first pm he said not to worry he would let her do it for free!!!
Having read how expensive some of your courses are I am really grateful :)

Bushpig
06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
The borough paid for my first first aid course, I paid for the second (£85) 3 years later. I actually started the first day yesterday (full day), then next Saturday is another full day and an exam. The course is indepth and thorough. They are held at the Early Year's team's offices, and are brilliant.

Blaze
06-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I have found that you get what you pay for...I have always used St John's, but as part of my pre-reg I did the Council run one as well (though of it as a refresher, as my St John's was 9 months old at that time... until I did it) - it was rubbish!:rolleyes:

MaryMary
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I am booked on my 1st aid course next Saturday, and the one after. My old one doesn't expire 'til September, but after April the funding stops. This one is free so I have no idea of the cost :panic: I thought it was better to be 6 months early, and guarantee getting on a course for nothing, than leave it and pay the money myself (assumimg I got on a course in time!)
My last one was with Emergency Services Training (or something like that). They are all serving police/paramedics/fire service etc, so they know all about emergencies. I wonder who we will get this time....;) (they don't wear their uniforms - unfortunately! :blush: )

kindredspirits
07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
i did my first one with st. johns and wasn't too impressed tbh - the staff were more focused on 'letting us' finish early and gossiping. no test at the end and most of the time was spent with the instructor reminicing about their first aiding experience, including the lovely story about her singing nelly the elephant at the top of her voice whilst giving chest compressions in the back of an ambulance :eek:
I have got my renewal coming up in May and am going to go with a different company and see what the difference is.

Mouse
07-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Over the years mine I've always done the ones put on by the local authority as they've been free. That might stop after the end of this month, so I'm booked on one for the next to Saturdays to make sure I get a free one done before the funding stops.

We've had various trainers over the years, som e good, some not so good :rolleyes:

shelbybla
07-03-2011, 10:20 AM
i have done first aid in the past with sja (through the nursery i used to work with) i found the courses fun, informative and memorable!!
i did not hesitate this time round booking with them again. mine is next monday and tuesday full days. :) i am actually really looking forward to it.