PDA

View Full Version : At a crossroads in my life

Julie's World
05-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi,
I have a real dilemna about whether to pursue a career in childminding or not. I have two children, 5 and 19 months and have just returned to work after being off for nearly 2 years. I have a reasonable job that I have done since 1991 and they have some family friendly policies, however not enough for me to work school hours term time. I could do 3 full days or I could have a couple of extra weeks leave (unpaid) over the summer to help with my 5 year olds care in the holidays.

I have just registered as a childminder as I have my friend's daughter for an hour and a half some days after school. My dilemna is do I give up work and develop a child minding business which would fit in much better with my family life (I think) and let me be with my 1 year old much more.

What are the best bits and worse bits of minding? Any thoughts appreciated. This is something I have been debating for about 9 months now and really am struggling to make up my mind which way to turn.

Thanks
Julie

The Juggler
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I started when my kids were about the same age as you. DS just turned 5 and dd was 2 1/2. Couldn't afford to drop work ours as it wouldn't affect my childcare fees (dh collected earlier anyhow) but never saw the kids.

It's fitted in perfectly for me (6 years on) and I loved it. Don't love the paperwork which has grown to probably triple the level even since I started but love the job, love being professional about my job and making others outside CM'ing see that it is a professional and responsible role (some people are STILL surprised what it actualy entails).

It is a very rewarding job seeing children develop, you do more with your own children than you probably would have otherwise BUT can be hard on you, your kids and your partner at times as it does take over your home a bit.

Lovely parents make all the different so you need to be tough and strict (but friendly) from the start to show you won't be walked over. Tough parents can make life awful but that's why your forum friends are here:D

I would speak to your local early years team first and see what the vacancy rates are like in your area. If there is a saturation of minders with vacancies it won't be easy for you to work full time. Go to the briefing sessiosn though hon and find out a bit more.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

sdean
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
My girls were the same age when I started childminding. I was running a bakery and working 12 hour days and seeing very little of my children.
I left my job and began to register having six months to catch myself up, get to know my children again, give them a chance to get used to being with me all the time and not their childminder, catch up on all the little jobs in the house whilst registering and getting myself prepared for a new career.

It was the best move I have ever made. I have been childminding for 3 years now, my children get their mum, I get to be a mum and take them to school (although I am usually taking about 8 more now though! plus little ones!). I now have a very busy childminding business. I have about 15 children on my books and I have an assistant.

I have been on boat loads of training, completed a level 3 and a level 4 and I am now working towards a foundation degree in early years.

My life has changed beyond belief. I was very work orientated before and not very mumsy. Now I get the best of both, I am a devoted mum to my children, but I am also a very independent business woman earning a lot of money, an employer and learning to benefit my future for when my girlies are grown up.

THere are negatives, your house is taken over during working hours, it is difficult to get time off, but you can also get the tea on and pop the washing in while you are working.

It really depends on what YOU want from your life hun. If you want to chat PM me your number and I will ring you. :)

Vickster
06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
My children are very similar ages. I work part time, so am nowhere near full out of choice. I was made redundant from my old job, but vowed never to work in an office again.

The great bits are seeing children develop, planning for them and engaging them and just watching them develop. Thw worst bits are continually having paperwork nagging away at you. My daughter who is 2 in June has found it quite hard sharing her space, but I think the benefits for her in the long run will outweigh this.

I would see if you can get some more children on your books before you quit your job.

mufftie
06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Financially it's probably a very good idea and good for your children to have you at home

But

I'm now in the position that I'm desperate to go out to work as minding can be very isolating , a lot of ignorant people out there don't realise how much of a full time career it is and I feel very under valued , even by my husband who sees me as sitting at home all day even though I earn more than he does , parents often think we have it easy aswel and dont understand why we charge so much where infact they have the easy option going out to work

SYLVIA
07-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I began minding after my divorce. I discussed it with my daughters, then 11 and 9, and it was either I minded and stayed at home with them or they went to a minder and `i went to work. I began minding, don't think i'd do anything else now. I can choose when I have lunch or a cup of coffee and on a nice sunny day I can be in the park instead of stuck in a office wishing i was outside

mumx3
09-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I started when my children were 10, 4 and 1. I couldnt afford childcare for the 3 of then whilst I returned to work. The bill would have been over £100 per day for what I needed. And the guilt of leaving my children on top of working for almost no money meant I had little in the way of options.

I took up childminding as a way of earning a wage whilst being with my children. That is the only real pro as far as I can see.

I love looking after the children on my books, being my own boss, and being able to take and collect my children from school and go to their plays and appointments, earning a decent wage without leaving my children with others.

I hate the intrusion into my house and feeling like there is nowhere sacred in my home. It effects my children (the youngest most). He is now 2.5yo and I have been minding for 18 months. He is badly behaved whenever I have other toddlers with me. He is always having to share; me, his home, the car, his toys and his sisters. When I am not minding he is an angel. I feel guilty for contantly having to tell him off for his difficult behaviour and know he is a lovely boy, just struggling with sharing his mum for 50 hours a week. This is the thing that bothers me about minding more than anything.

There are some fantastic pros, but it is by no means a cushy job!