PDA

View Full Version : Few niggles

Twinkle-Toes
05-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I have got myself down for a briefing session on 23rd March so still very early stages. I have been thinking of childminding for over a year since I was made redundant but a few niggles have kept putting me off. Just wondering if anyone could offer advice or set my mind at rest?

Firstly, we have open backed stairs, not quite sure of the technical term but this is the best description i have come up with!! I will put a stair gate in but they are still possibly accessible for the kids to climb on from the back, iyswim?! Will Ofsted find these unacceptable?

Secondly, I have stripped everything out of the dining room and going to have it as a playroom, consequently I have had to move 2 glass display cabinets (Full of transformers, hubby's pride and joy....lets not go there :rolleyes: ) into the living room. I will want the living room registering as well so we can go straight into the garden via patio doors, will the display cabinets be ok? The only thing I can think of, as we also have a totally open stand, under the wall mounted tv, that houses sky box, wii etc is to get one of those safety gate combo things that can be a playpen and gate right across the equipment. Won't look very attractive but will keep small fingers out.

I'm sorry i've waffled on and hopefully i've made sense but i've all but convinced myself that i'll spend X ££ to get to my pre-registration visit and the actions will be so huge or costly that it will all have been for nothing :rolleyes:

thanks guys,

Kate

Chatterbox Childcare
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
As long as there is no danger you will be fine. The glass in the cabinet should be safety glass or you will need to put film on it or cardboard over the glass when the children are there

As to the stairs - could a child fall through, trap their head? if so you need to fill them or risk assess how you can reduce the danger

Kezzle
06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
My stair case is like rails and on the landing kids if foolish enough could stick their head through them but i don't really want to have to rip them all out and change them. The landing hardly gets any natural light to it and the railings help light seep through from the kitchen below because it's quite open.

Hmmm food for thought.

babs
06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
will you be using upstairs if you are ra and as for open stairs we had these in our old house and you couldn't of fitting a walker though even a young one of around 8 /9 months puppy on other hand you could 1st hand experience:laughing: :laughing:

Twinkle-Toes
07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks very much for your help everyone :)

I've read alot about development officers on the forum so think i'll wait till my briefing meeting then enquire if i can get someone to come round to put my mind at rest!

Thanks again lovely people x