PDA

View Full Version : chickens!

Polly2
05-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I have just spotted in our local paper a chicken ark and run 9x4x5 ft for £100 Unused.

After our fab trip to the farm where we held chicks and chatting to aly I fancy getting some chickens again!

Do you reckon this is a good price? Any chicken experts out there?

manjay
05-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Gill is chicken expert;) Well she has some in her garden!

Polly2
05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh yes! I forgot about her!! I will have to drop her a line :thumbsup:

aly
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
i think that sounds good., espcially unused.

this is my one, he was sellign loads and i was watching them going to £80+ so happy that it went for under £65.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180620070664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

got my incubator and brooder now just waiting to pick eggs up for my easter theme....found someone fairly local in rhoose so will ring her back monday to arrange collection.

soooo excited now:laughing:

Polly2
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Thats lovely! really good price :clapping: I am still thinking :D

Dragonfly
05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I have chickens Brill:thumbsup:
Hatched some chicks in a incubator last spring, gonna sticks some fertilised eggs under one of my broody hens this year she nicks the other hens eggs when shes broody but they wont hatch as i havent a cockeral, friends giving me fertilised eggs though, she'll sit on anything:laughing:

Ripeberry
05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
What are you going to do with the cockerels if you hatch any? That's the one thing about hatching eggs. Having to cull the males :(

Dragonfly
05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
They go back to where the egg come from in my case (chicken breeder friend) some are kept, some end up ur whisper dead sorry:eek: part of life. The wild animals in zoos etc are fed dead male chicks ugh.

aly
05-03-2011, 07:08 PM
What are you going to do with the cockerels if you hatch any? That's the one thing about hatching eggs. Having to cull the males :(
the woman I'm getting mine off has said she will have the males off me if I swap with more eggs...ie if i get 3 eggs and all males she will swap for anothr 3 eggs etc,.

Polly2
05-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Just been looking at eglus - did you know you can keep guinea pigs in them too?!! Obviously not with the chicks :laughing:

Shame they are so expensive they look so much easier to clean

Dragonfly
05-03-2011, 07:13 PM
just remember if you get a second hand one to creosote it before you put chickens in it, it could have red mite.(creosote subsitute now).

aly
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
thanks to someone here, im thinking of doing a duck with the chicks too lol...

gegele
05-03-2011, 07:58 PM
:( i wish i had a garden big enough :(

i love fresh eggs!! :thumbsup:

Polly2
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
just remember if you get a second hand one to creosote it before you put chickens in it, it could have red mite.(creosote subsitute now).

Would I still have to do this if it had been unused?

Dragonfly
06-03-2011, 04:30 PM
dont think so.but give it a good check over in all the little nooks and crannies, and lift off any perches.Is it a private sell or a company? if private I might do it anyway to be on the safe side.

PixiePetal
06-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I might be on for advise at some point - DH has been clearing brambles from the old dog run. We might put little chicken house in there and add a run on the grass too. Living in the countryside we have plenty of night visitors :rolleyes: and if the chickens are housed within the concrete floored dog run at night, foxes won't be able to get in :thumbsup:

How many do you think I should start with - space is not a problem but don't want to be over-run with eggs :laughing: 3 or 4 sound ok?

mushpea
06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I would so love to have chickens,,my parents had them when I was little and they used to run free round our garden.
trouble at mine is we have a garden thats all block paved or patio and not sure this is good for chickens unless anyone can think of a way round this?

Dragonfly
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I have 4 pixiepetal and it works well for me, but to be honest if i had more room prob 6 no more.

birch24
06-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I have 5, the are my babies!!!! I am so glad i have got them. The children love seeing them. They are easy to look after. They do need an area to scratch around on. We have lovely free range eggs nearly every day. Ours are bantams so don't lay as regularly as 'normal chickens' but we get at least 2-3 eggs a day. We had 4 yesterday a very good day!

:laughing: :D :laughing:

birch24
06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I would so love to have chickens,,my parents had them when I was little and they used to run free round our garden.
trouble at mine is we have a garden thats all block paved or patio and not sure this is good for chickens unless anyone can think of a way round this?

Dig up the block paving!!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: