PDA

View Full Version : Variation help

Mrs Pootle
05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Has anyone had a situation like this and got a variation?

I could potentially have 7 children under 8 yrs for a maximum of 1 hour on Thurs & Fri for a 6 week period. The children would be aged 7,7,7,6,5,4,3. One of the 7 yr olds is my own, and would turn 8 after 6 weeks hence the reason I would only need the variation in place for 6 weeks.

At the moment this situation does not arise, however in a few months due to a parents shift change, it could happen. I would be picking the eldest 6 children up from school (the 4 yr old is a rising 5) and only have the 3 yr old during the day.

Is it worth requesting a variation :) , or am I going to have to let one of my after schoolies go :(

Nat78
05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I would request a variation, surely this comes under continuous care due to them already being in your care and the shift pattern changing. As it is only for a few weeks I would imagine it would be fine. When I had my second child it increased my early years numbers to 4 three days a week and this was granted. Your numbers would revert back after the period of time

sarah707
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
If you go over 6 children you need to check with your local council about applying for planning permission.

It takes up to 3 months for an application (I believe) and costs around £300 / £350 maybe more depending on where you live.

It is not automatic so you must not start working with more than 6 children until the application has gone through.

They usually write to your neighbours asking if they have any objections to you running a bigger business from home and may impose parking restrictions / make you have parking bays on the front etc.

I hope this helps :D

mushpea
05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
You can give it a go,, cant hurt to try but normally they wont allow you to go over your 6 under 8's without an assistant.

rickysmiths
05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
If you go over 6 children you need to check with your local council about applying for planning permission.

It takes up to 3 months for an application (I believe) and costs around £300 / £350 maybe more depending on where you live.

It is not automatic so you must not start working with more than 6 children until the application has gone through.

They usually write to your neighbours asking if they have any objections to you running a bigger business from home and may impose parking restrictions / make you have parking bays on the front etc.

I hope this helps :D

I was just going tro say the same thing!

carol cameron
05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
When I requested something similar I was told that, due to legal requirements, under no account can a variation be given for more than 6 under 8's except when working with an assistant so that's the route I took. It was only for a few months as my 7 year olds all turned 8 within 2 months of each other.
Having said that, we all know that it seems to depend on who you talk to at Ofsted so it may be worth a try, just in case........................:)

blue bear
05-03-2011, 04:09 PM
If it us only for six weeks could you not just get each child to take a thursday and Friday off? So you would ask for holiday from each child for two dats a week but on six separate weeks iyswim

Mrs Pootle
05-03-2011, 07:28 PM
If it us only for six weeks could you not just get each child to take a thursday and Friday off? So you would ask for holiday from each child for two dats a week but on six separate weeks iyswim

Thanks Fi fi I like this idea.:) I am hoping that the situation with too many children doesn't actually happen, as I've explained to the parent with the shift change that it would be difficult. They are going to try and alter things at work, so hopefully I can keep my sanity and not have so many on one day (even if it is just for 1 hour)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is my understanding that they will not under any circumstances let you go over 6 under 8 as it is law. Always worth asking or is there anyone that can help you out for this time?