PDA

View Full Version : a bit of advice needed please

1michelle
04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
:blush: Just wondered what you would do I have just had an inquiry for childcare for a 1 year old and an 11 year old boy term time only I told mum would call her back. I am a bit nervous about looking after an eleven year old would this be classed as childminding for an 11 year old ? What would you do with an eleven year old? I think my nerves have got the better of me I can look after little ones no problem Any advice and thoughts would be very helpful
Thanks

Michelle

Cazz
05-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I mind a 13 year old girl after school 3 days a week and to be honest I find it much harder work than the little ones.

I know she's going through hormonal changes but she can be very moody and gets bored easily - she also doesn't seem to like having lots of little ones playing and making loads of noise (she's in effect an only child) We've had lots of "issues" with her in the last few months - this is partly because she was a really good friend of my dd's but they're not so close anymore :rolleyes:

I've tried to diplomatically suggest to mum that I'm not sure she wants to be here but both parents work an hour and a half's drive away and they don't want her going home to an empty house 5 days a week (which is what she does some days).

She's my only mindee on a Monday and I'm afraid I'm going to be giving notice for that day soon - I work long hours the rest of the week and I need a day off - especially from the issues we have with her.

This is obviously just my experience and opinion though - this 11 year old may be fine!

Penny1959
05-03-2011, 05:52 AM
I think you need to meet the boy and mum to decide.

I find some 11 year old boys hard work especially in the house and in the past have suggested to parents that I am not the best person to look after their child. However some 11yr old boys are fantastic and love to build with construction sets or draw or whatever interests them.

One question I would personally ask is about games systems and TV as there may be a conflict between your views and the needs of the other mindees and what this parent / child thinks appropriate use of these things.

Penny :)

birch24
05-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I look after a 12 year old and it is much harder work than all the babies put together!! Having said that I have spoken to his mum and told her he is bored and said he should bring stuff to do as he doesnt like anything I provide , except the x box, and I am not very happy that he is on it all the time! (Holidays). So I do feel if he can't entertain himself then thats too bad. Come the summer tho when I have more littlies I may have to consider whether or not it is right for him to come.

But all the while his moping doesnt affect the others I just ignore it!! :D

birch24
05-03-2011, 07:33 AM
I think you need to meet the boy and mum to decide.

One question I would personally ask is about games systems and TV as there may be a conflict between your views and the needs of the other mindees and what this parent / child thinks appropriate use of these things.

Penny :)

Yes I have this problem too. he wants to watch tv all day and generally I don't have the tv on at all. He plays the x box out of the childminding area so thats not so bad.:D

Carol M
05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I looked after an 11 yr old boy mindee last year. TTO, but a couple of days in the hols. He was a lovely boy and prefered to watch tv or do homework on computer or play games online all perfectly ok with me. On the occasions he came in the hols I usually had other schoolies and planned days out which we all enjoyed.
He moved to another county so had to leave my care but has remained in contact by text but I would expect that to end as he settles into his new environment and gets a new childminder.
Really depends on the child and how he would fit in to your setting.
Carol xx

Ava's Nana
05-03-2011, 01:44 PM
i have an 11 year old boy and a 13 year girl (different families) i find them really easy to look after they just wanna watch t.v, go on the comp or playstaion which is all fine with me and mums. during the hols i do try and get them out as much as poss even if its just to the park for an hour. they also love to do crafts and we do lots of cooking 2. i suppose im lucky tho as their all really good kids :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

ziggy
05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
i have decided never to mind children over the age of 8. I had mindees older brother for one day when his school was closed due to snow, he didnt want to join in with any activities offered, didnt even want to watch tv while little ones were sleeping or watch dvd he had brought with him. Helped himself to his lunch box from the fridge at 10am while i was busy with little ones. Was constantly up and down the stairs, in and out of bedrooms pretending he was in the toilet.(bedrooms are only used for sleeping usually) Took a wooden letter off my daughters bedroom door then denied it, kept playing answering machine messages then blaming little ones, even found him trying to read my texts on my mobile, i could go on and on lol

Last minding day before christmas we were unable to attend toddler group party so had one here for little ones and schoolies, friend asked me to take her 11 year old as his school was closed due to snow. What a nightmare, he distrupted all the games we played, kept making his little brother cry, ate a whole pizza he knew was for sharing, purposefully spilt glitter glue everywhere. Eventually against my house rules i allowed him to watch tv and play on his game boy or what ever it was just to get some peace

On a more positive note could you try having the boy for a trial period? Because i dont have children at home now maybe i just dont have the right toys, computer games etc older children expect these days.