PDA

View Full Version : Deposit for New Mindee

Thelongfamily
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi I am new to childminding and I have my first parent coming around this week. Her position is that she is applying for jobs and once she has one secured, she will need a childminder - and so the amount of notice she gives for this depends on when and what job she gets. I am happy to go on this basis but I am worried that I might miss out on other children to mind whilst waiting for this mum. (I only want to mind one child at a time) - and so is it appropriate to take a deposit from her and if so how much? Would this deposit then go towards the fees once I do start minding for her?

Thanks in advance for any help with this. :panic:

rickysmiths
04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi there. Welcome to the world of Childminding.

I take a four weeks fees Deposit when the contract is signed. I write clearly on the contract that it is kept until the end of the contract when it is used to cover the four weeks notice period as long as all fees are paid up-to-date at this time.

If the parent signs and pays and then be it the next day or 6 weeks later, the day before care is due to start, if the parent pulls out and doesn't use your care you keep the deposit. If when the time comes you can't offer the space you return the Deposit in full.:thumbsup:

Thelongfamily
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
thankyou - perfect!

Helcatt
04-03-2011, 11:26 PM
personaly, I would keep advertising and say to her that if someone else comes along and can pay straight away, you may have to take them on - you are running a business, after all

Potentially you can contact her when someone else makes it clear they want to use you, to see how/where she is in the job stakes, but I couldn't hold the space open indefinately

My fees are quite high, so I only take a 2 week deposit, but this is then used against the final bill, so not lost forever unless they choose not to use you

HX