PDA

View Full Version : Split day - does anyone else have this?

Flisspaps
04-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Just out of interest really - have a new mindee starting Monday who will be doing 7.30am - 10.30am, and then 2.30pm - 5pm so five hours but split into two sessions, with her being picked up and then dropped back off again later. She'll only do this one day a week, with one morning later on in the week.

Does anyone else have mindees that do this?

I have another mindee full time, so I imagine it will be nice to have a bit of a breather in the middle of the day with just her and DD, but I worry that it's going to unsettle the other child being backwards and forwards all day...she's not quite 3 yet. Suppose I will have to see how things go during the 4 week trial :)

Ripeberry
04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Where is the child going, back home? Seems strange, unless it's because one parent is going off to work, then another is coming back?
I think it would unsettle the child, but see how it goes anyway :thumbsup:

Flisspaps
04-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm really not sure, they're coming to sign contract tomorrow so will ask then. I think there may be a relative available to care for her during those hours and they're trying to keep costs down, but it wouldn't save them a huge amount.

I do think it will unsettle her, and my other mindee and DD are going to find it odd having her here and then not and then here again...we shall see!

The Juggler
04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I would do it as my min. session is 5 hours but I too would worry about it unsettling the mindee. I think I would want to fidn out more abou tthe reason. If mindee is 3 and going to a preschool session I'd be happy as long as drop off's suited me but times are a bit strange.

Baildon bears
04-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Very strange, I do a minimum of 7 hours so personally would not do it. I would also worry about unsettling the mindee.

westbrom44
05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I do a minimum 8 hours so would charge that but I would find the collection at 10.30am a nuisance unless they could collect from where I had gone to.

Flisspaps
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Having spoken to Dad when he came to do contracts, it makes more sense now.

He is a bus driver so is covering school runs, with a gap in the middle, where he usually takes her to the children's centre for a play session. If he could afford it he would leave her here all day but at the moment he can't.

We've agreed to see how she is with the coming and going, but if she is unsettled, or if DD and other mindee are unsettled, it might be worth me having her all day at a reduced rate from the end of the trial period until the contract review in September.

It's not like I can offer the four hours in the middle of the day to anyone else really, and if I had charged him for the whole day then he couldn't have afforded it and then I wouldn't have her at all.

Baildon bears
05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
That's very kind of you but I would be careful they don't take advantage of your good nature, I'm no expert but if they are on a low wage can't they get income support to help with childcare costs? What will you do if some one comes along wanting the full day?