PDA

View Full Version : Just read this is the mail ???? Have your say

Trouble
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362826/Childminders-given-diet-advice-fives.html

Its not what we give them its what comes from home that bothers me !!!!!:rolleyes:

what do you think?

sarah707
04-03-2011, 03:23 PM
I totally agree! :rolleyes:

:D

rickysmiths
04-03-2011, 03:30 PM
This makes me laugh. One mum recently collected early, so early lo hadn't had his dinner. Had had a heafty snack of fresh fruit and large glass of milk half an hour before on getting in from school. Off they go. DD gets home ang comments on seeing this lo walking along our High St with crisps, a coke and a bag of Haribo :panic: and the acuse us of feeding the children badly!!

I have another one where a 2yr old eats well with me all day loads of fruit and veg and goes in the car and is given sweets they don't need. Now they tantrum if the parents have forgotten to bring them :rolleyes: At that age it took my two from Easter to Christmas to eat all their Easter eggs up. :blush:

Sort out the parents first I say. :thumbsup:

caz3007
04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I agree. I try and give the children a healthy diet and then one turns up at the school in his pram eating a packet of crisps cos they didnt have time for breakfast. Why not give him some toast if you are running that late or a banana.

My own son isnt too bad an eater and will try new things. Like ricky said we have chocolate and sweets left over from last easter here and I am really careful not to eat them :D

Chatterbox Childcare
04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I love this and maybe they will provide funding for a chef to make the mid day meal too!

Blaze
04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I posted about this earlier - the mail's wording irks me !

venus89
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I've been getting het up about this on Facebook, one of the forum members posted it there.... My argument is that their suggested menu is very very sweet, nearly all fruit, not enough veg. And I agree, the root problem is, by and large, the parents. Of course there are misguided childminders out there but generally we're a pretty good bunch. But the parents! I had one in today who had a hot cross bun instead of a sandwich or a roll :rolleyes: She's normally very good so I can only assume this was a last minute panic! One came in once, I counted the calories in his lunchbox - more than an adult male is recommended in a day..... He didnt get all his lunch, and did get some fruit from my fruit bowl....

emmadines
04-03-2011, 05:11 PM
All I have to say is its a load of ************ (Ill stop there as it wouldn't be polite!!!
like Ive replied on FB my kid eat more fruit now then they did before hand (and they used to eat a fair bit.) I go through several bags of fruit a week, honestly this county need to worry about the more important stuff rather then what childminders feed the kids......................(I know them eating healthily is important, you know what I mean Im sure)

Mcgons
04-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I've been getting het up about this on Facebook, one of the forum members posted it there.... My argument is that their suggested menu is very very sweet, nearly all fruit, not enough veg. And I agree, the root problem is, by and large, the parents. Of course there are misguided childminders out there but generally we're a pretty good bunch. But the parents! I had one in today who had a hot cross bun instead of a sandwich or a roll :rolleyes: She's normally very good so I can only assume this was a last minute panic! One came in once, I counted the calories in his lunchbox - more than an adult male is recommended in a day..... He didnt get all his lunch, and did get some fruit from my fruit bowl....

My children had hot cross buns for lunch today, no sandwich or roll, why is that wrong? They also had pieces of ham and cheese then yoghurt and melon.

Trouble
04-03-2011, 07:56 PM
My children had hot cross buns for lunch today, why is that wrong? They also had pieces of ham and cheese then yoghurt and melon.

My hot cross buns have fruit in surely they are allowed?

mushpea
04-03-2011, 08:05 PM
mine all have a healty balenced died here but go home and eat cr**p and the parents have actutaly admited this too.
we had hot cross buns for breakfast today as a treat although i dont think i would use them as a sandwich replacment but prehaps a dessert or a snack instead.

MaryMary
04-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning.

So, reading this, am I to believe that the 1 in 4 obese children are all users of some form of childcare? And the other 3 in 4 are all at home having healthy meals with mummy? I think not! :angry:

I object to inference that it is childcare providers (childminders in particular) that is causing this problem The whole story gives the wrong impression

it was interesting, listening to the guy on TV this morning, that one of the problems is to do with portion sizes, and he was saying that small children are being given 5 adult portions of fruit/veg a day in some cases. I, for one, am confused about what makes a 'portion' of fruit/veg. All the guidelines are always adult portions, so guidance on that would be useful :thumbsup:
(as posted on Blaze's post :))

Trouble
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a child that comes 3 days a week and for his tea everynight he has 2 soggy rice cakes with cream cheese in them and has done for 2 1/2 years:eek: :angry:

i want to throw them in the bin and give him some veg but i dont:panic:

SYLVIA
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Mine sometimes have hot cross buns too. Not on a daily basis but I don't see that as wrong. They will also have fruit and veg bits and cheese/meat to go with it. We also sometimes share a bag of crisps but again not every day. I think it's important to teach them that these things are ok in moderation as long as we have lots of the good stuff too . I cook tea for LO from scratch each day whilst I know at least one family feed ready made meals to the LO on the days they are not with me

venus89
04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I just always think of hot cross buns as a cake..... No offence intended :cool:

Trouble
04-03-2011, 08:21 PM
I just always think of hot cross buns as a cake..... No offence intended :cool:

why cake?:D

Pipsqueak
04-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Do you know what - tons of fruit is not 'healthy' - acid erosion on teeth and the like.

Asides from all that - we take a healthy approach to food - a little of what you fancy - some things are not for everyday but we have a bit of stodge, we have a bit of mmmh yummy, we have a bit of not - so fave stuff - a bit of everything in moderation and in balance.

I don't believe in 'bad' foods and good foods - that in self creates problems.
(besides we shouldn't label a food bad....... its not good for its self esteem:laughing: )

SYLVIA
04-03-2011, 08:25 PM

So, reading this, am I to believe that the 1 in 4 obese children are all users of some form of childcare? And the other 3 in 4 are all at home having healthy meals with mummy? I think not! :angry:

I object to inference that it is childcare providers (childminders in particular) that is causing this problem The whole story gives the wrong impression

it was interesting, listening to the guy on TV this morning, that one of the problems is to do with portion sizes, and he was saying that small children are being given 5 adult portions of fruit/veg a day in some cases. I, for one, am confused about what makes a 'portion' of fruit/veg. All the guidelines are always adult portions, so guidance on that would be useful :thumbsup:

I thought that a portion was about the size of the fist. So a childs portion is the size of their fist. Thats what i work on

Trouble
Do you know what - tons of fruit is not 'healthy' - acid erosion on teeth and the like.

Asides from all that - we take a healthy approach to food - a little of what you fancy - some things are not for everyday but we have a bit of stodge, we have a bit of mmmh yummy, we have a bit of not - so fave stuff - a bit of everything in moderation and in balance.

I don't believe in 'bad' foods and good foods - that in self creates problems.
(besides we shouldn't label a food bad....... its not good for its self esteem:laughing: )

i think beans are revolting no matter how healthy people think they are:eek: :panic:

PixiePetal

I think a portion of fruit/veg for a child is what would fit in their palm so the smaller the palm, the smaller the portion! palm full of berries or half an apple for instance

venus89
04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
why cake?:D

because they're sweet, because they're buns, because they have raisins in. Because that's what I grew up thinking....

Pipsqueak
04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
i think beans are revolting no matter how healthy people think they are:eek: :panic:
I actually hate veggies - bleurgh....
can't stand taties or any derivative of

actually just love choccie and sweet stuff :D oh and pasta

Trouble
04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
because they're sweet, because they're buns, because they have raisins in. Because that's what I grew up thinking....

oh ok :) not being funny just curious:D

Trouble
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM

i used to but now my taste buds are changing:D my mind likes it but my body doesnt:D

venus89
04-03-2011, 08:42 PM
oh ok :) not being funny just curious:D

:laughing: didn't think you were! I'm really surprised, I never thought of them as being a substitute for a sandwich.... I like that idea! :D

MaryMary
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM

I assume you mean 'vegetables' and not 'vegetarians'! :laughing: :laughing:

venus89
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I assume you mean 'vegetables' and not 'vegetarians'! :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: maybe vegetarians taste a bit strange.....

Trouble
04-03-2011, 08:51 PM
:laughing: didn't think you were! I'm really surprised, I never thought of them as being a substitute for a sandwich.... I like that idea! :D

and you can get wholemeal ones and for bad days choc ones for adults not kids !

manjay
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I think maybe I am reading a different article:rolleyes: . To me the heading is misleading as it then goes on to mention nurseries too but apart from that I agree with the rest of it! We have food and health guidelines in Wales for Early Years and childcare settings which personally I think is a good thing. The report says that childcarers were consulted and it was them who requested further information.

Obviously I am in the monirity but that's my opinion:D

MaryMary
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
:laughing: :laughing: maybe vegetarians taste a bit strange.....

I like vegetarians, but couldn't eat a whole one :laughing: :laughing:

venus89
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
and you can get wholemeal ones and for bad days choc ones for adults not kids !

Oh poo - I think I've just proved the Mail right. I am uneducated about food :laughing: Why did you wait till I was this old to tell me these things?

MaryMary
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I think maybe I am reading a different article:rolleyes: . To me the heading is misleading as it then goes on to mention nurseries too but apart from that I agree with the rest of it! We have food and health guidelines in Wales for Early Years and childcare settings which personally I think is a good thing. The report says that childcarers were consulted and it was them who requested further information.

Obviously I am in the monirity but that's my opinion:D

I think that is the gist of it, but like so many things, it gets skewed (especially in the mail!) and people don't look past the headline, and think all cm's ( and nurseries) make kids obese!!:angry: The emphasis is all wrong, but if people take the time to read/listen to the whole story, it is not so bad - but they don't :(

Trouble
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Oh poo - I think I've just proved the Mail right. I am uneducated about food :laughing: Why did you wait till I was this old to tell me these things?

i only found out myself since sainsburys opened near me :laughing: I live a sheltered life:blush: I think moderation is the key

i would love to be a vegetarian but i would miss bacon and i wouldnt have a clue what to make so id starve
:laughing:

venus89
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
i only found out myself since sainsburys opened near me :laughing: I live a sheltered life:blush: I think moderation is the key

i would love to be a vegetarian but i would miss bacon and i wouldnt have a clue what to make so id starve
:laughing:

Hmmm... well I'm sure all variteties of hot crossbun are vegetarian?! And you could follow the Daily Mail's sample menu.... It would keep you regular :blush: ahem

Trouble
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I think that is the gist of it, but like so many things, it gets skewed (especially in the mail!) and people don't look past the headline, and think all cm's ( and nurseries) make kids obese!!:angry: The emphasis is all wrong, but if people take the time to read/listen to the whole story, it is not so bad - but they don't :(

i read all of it but no matter how much we do it has to happen at home as well otherwise we are wasting our time

Trouble
04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Hmmm... well I'm sure all variteties of hot crossbun are vegetarian?! And you could follow the Daily Mail's sample menu.... It would keep you regular :blush: ahem

beans, peas, and fish are out pineapple i like:clapping:

georgie456
04-03-2011, 09:23 PM

My children sometimes have a hot cross bun instead of a sandwich too - they are SO yummy!

Dragonfly
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I believe everything in moderation, no bad foods.
Cant see what is wrong with a hot cross bun unless its every day for lunch.And yes too much fruit ruins your teeth as does too much fruit juice. Moderation,moderation!!.

Blaze
04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I believe everything in moderation, no bad foods.
Cant see what is wrong with a hot cross bun unless its every day for lunch.And yes too much fruit ruins your teeth as does too much fruit juice. Moderation,moderation!!.

Totally agree & my food policy reflects this!:thumbsup:

Noomie
04-03-2011, 10:05 PM
This article hasn't considered the absolute fussiness of the children either! Not only can they come to us with unhealthy packed lunches, but they come to us with such fussiness! I have tried over the last few months to come up with a variety of healthy meals that the children like. I don't like this..., I don't like that... It drives me MENTAL as half the time they haven't even TRIED it!

I now have a little boy who eats apples and raisins as well as the pureed fruit in squeezy pouches. He ate NO fruit before coming to me. I'm sick, I'm tired, I'm full are the responses I get if I give him something new to try.

Another boy was happily eating his pesto pasta until a girl pointed out it had mushrooms in it. He didn't eat anymore (despite eating it with relish the moment before).

Sometimes you have to start with what they like and slowly introduce a wider variety and therefore balanced diet.

JulieA
05-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I went on a Healthy Eating for Under Fives course a couple of years ago. It was really interesting - there were the obvious things about cakes, biscuits, cola, etc, BUT there was also concern that a lot of children are malnourished because they eat a diet too adult orientated. Basically these children are referred to as being in the 'muesli belt' - they are given low fat food, lots of fruit and wholemeal everything, but they are not being provided with the amount of energy their bodies need to develop properly. We looked at adapting receipes like lasagne by adding EXTRA pasta and more cheese in the sauce.

Sorry, I waffled. :blush:

manjay
05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I went on a Healthy Eating for Under Fives course a couple of years ago. It was really interesting - there were the obvious things about cakes, biscuits, cola, etc, BUT there was also concern that a lot of children are malnourished because they eat a diet too adult orientated. Basically these children are referred to as being in the 'muesli belt' - they are given low fat food, lots of fruit and wholemeal everything, but they are not being provided with the amount of energy their bodies need to develop properly. We looked at adapting receipes like lasagne by adding EXTRA pasta and more cheese in the sauce.

Sorry, I waffled. :blush:

and I think that is what this report is all about. The childcare professionals questioned wanted clearer guidelines about what is considered healthy.

venus89
05-03-2011, 10:37 AM
and I think that is what this report is all about. The childcare professionals questioned wanted clearer guidelines about what is considered healthy.

Which is a brilliant idea, but not the impression the Mail gave!

I thought I was a good Mummy giving my children wholemeal bread. I went on a course and found out that was actually the wrong thing to do so now I give a mix of breads..... I do agree that we can do the wrong thing with the best of intentions, like the Mail's proposed menu which I still believe is too high in fruits.....

manjay
05-03-2011, 12:11 PM
and yet going by my Welsh Assembly Government guidelines that menu is absolutley fine (apart from the cheese and pineapple sandwiches - yuck;) ). The guidance is to aim for 5 or more portions of fuit or veg a day which this menu does and also seems to include the right amount of portions of the other food groups.

What I will also say is that although our guidelines are in place I suspect that actually not many childminders know about them. It is a large folder which is available to download but I only received a hard copy as I am doing a specific Early Years nutrition course at the local hospital. So even if the guidelines are in place it always goes back to publicising the fact which agencies and government don't seem to do very well.

I will agree that the article is written particularly poorly:thumbsup:

Mouse
05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I will agree that the article is written particularly poorly:thumbsup:

It's the Daily Mail, say no more :rolleyes:

buzzy bee
05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
ha ha what a joke!!

one of my mindees never eats the delicious healthy dinner I cook for him... when his mum arrives and i tell her he's had no dinner she tells him he can have a cake when he gets home... the other day she gave him a whole mars bar to eat (at 6pm having NOT eaten his dinner!)

gegele
05-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I think that the al food issue is pathetic!!!

yes children need to have fruit and veg but children also need fat and dairy and sugar and be children!!!!!!

Being french I do struggle with the english version of healthy diet : for me a child who hasn't got 2 cooked meals is being malnurrished LOL

in england the cup of tea makes everything better, in france we start the conversation by "have something to eat!!!" LOL:D

Breakfast in my house is cereals or weetabix or bread and chocolate spred!]
am snack are fruit or biscuits
lunch is a cooked meal with meat a veg and carb and apudding usually a yoghurt for dairy
pm snack is anything from humus and bread stick to chocolat muffins or bread and chocolate spread
dinner is a full cooked dinner with meat veg and carb and pudding!!

my daughter wants to follow her friend and have parked lunch sometimes but she's not really good at it and is starving at 3!!

I have problems in my inside when parents say that as kid had cooked meal at lunch he 'll have only a quick tea that day :eek: :eek:

but it's different culture.

children's diet shouldn't be affected by their parentchoice of living....

i'm rambling LOL food is a touchy feeling LOL

no offence to anyone intended :thumbsup: