PDA

View Full Version : Quiet in the hallway!!!!!

JCrakers
04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Morning everyone...

Ive been childminding for 3.5yrs and its going really well.
I have 1 problem with two boys aged 5 and 6 (brothers)
I love them to bits and they have been coming to me since I started.The boys are very loud and dont talk but shout to everyone and always have done. They get it from Dad as he is the same.....:D

My husband works from home twice a week and he has an office upstairs which works well with my job until pickup time. The kids can make all the noise they want to in the playroom but I ask for quiet in the hallway because hubbie might be on the phone and his office is at the top of the stairs.
Everyone else manages to be quiet. The doorbell rings, I answer it, invite parents in, kids put shoes and coat on and after a quick chat with parents they go home.
But the two boys just cannot manage this at all. They shout, climb on bannister, touch my phone buttons, and do everything they can to make loads of noise. If dad comes he makes it worse cos he shouts even though he know hubbie is working. Mum doesnt really have any control over them.

One day a week they get picked up at 4.10pm so I get them all ready , just open the door and they go...but if they can be quiet at school in assembly why cant they do it here. Youd think after 3.5yrs they would have got the idea by now.....:laughing: I'm getting tired of repeating myself daily!!!

Do you think I'm asking too much from them? They are both at an age where they understand. Do you think hubbie working from home is a problem?
becky x

Pipsqueak
04-03-2011, 11:53 AM
if they can manage it elsewhere then they can manage it at yours - plain and simple.

time for some straight talking and some sanctions and actions

they walk through your hall with a finger on the lips as a reminder.
they stand holding your hand

and a firm talking to dad - saying he is disturbing your husbands work and could he have a little consideration please.

miss mopple
04-03-2011, 12:20 PM
If its a real problem and they still don't listen after you've asked them again, could you maybe get them to come in the back way instead? Just a thought.

It drives me nuts when they are inconsiderate in the hallway. I start so early that my girls are still in bed and some of the parents just dont respect that at all sometimes. Its almost like 'my kids are up so it doesnt matter if I disturb yours' :angry: My husband used to be a shift worker and it was so hard juggling handovers when he was sleeping.

youarewhatyoueat
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
If its still a problem so many years on perhaps its time that your husband times his coffee break around pick up time.

Flisspaps
04-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Is it possible for these two boys to get shoes/coats etc on in the playroom, so that when Mum/Dad arrives you can usher them straight out to the door and pull the door to behind you so that you can chat with parent but so that parents don't even make it into the house - then they can run about on the drive and Dad's not shouting indoors?

wendywu
04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I dont think you expect two boys to keep quiet in the hall just because DH is working from home. It puts too much pressure on all concerned.

But i would not for one second put up with them climbing on banisters or pressing the phone buttons. I would put a stop to that in front of dad as well. It shows a total lack of respect for you and your home :angry:

JCrakers
04-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your help :D
I always tell them off when they start climbing and misbehaving when mum and dad come...I have no problems with that.
I have tried a sticker chart, banning TV and Wii,talking with them just before the doorbell rings, explaining that husband is working but they do it everytime....:angry:
I have tried getting them ready but mum comes anytime between 5.35pm and 6pm so can never judge. Shes tried texting me as she leaves work so I can get them ready.That lasted a week...lol

I love my job but cant have them disturbing hubbie as its his wages that pay the mortgage..he earns 4 times more than me..he cant take teabreak sometimes as he works solid.
becky x

Pipsqueak
04-03-2011, 04:36 PM
if they can't behave then put them on a wrist strap so you have total control over them and hand them over - hand in hand to parent and out the door.

wendywu
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
[I love my job but cant have them disturbing hubbie as its his wages that pay the mortgage..he earns 4 times more than me..he cant take teabreak sometimes as he works solid.
becky x[/QUOTE]

Get him some ear plugs. DH works for British Airways and works shifts. Sometimes if he has been on a night and wants to sleep he will wear the earplugs they provide for them if they have to go out onto the runway when the planes have their engines running. They work :thumbsup:

Zoomie
04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
how about not opening the door till they are ready and then hand straight to parents ?

MaryMary
04-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Get him some ear plugs. DH works for British Airways and works shifts. Sometimes if he has been on a night and wants to sleep he will wear the earplugs they provide for them if they have to go out onto the runway when the planes have their engines running. They work :thumbsup:

Surely earplugs would defeat the object if OPs hubby is making a phone call? :D
I have a similar problem when my DH decides to work from home and needs to make a conference call at about the same time as I get in from school. It is impossible to get my 5&6 yo mindees to be quiet! (I suspect one has ADHD or similar anyway, so quiet is always an issue!). But he knows the score, and appreciates my efforts :blush:

It is also difficult when mindees turn in in school hoildays, shouting & demanding, while my kids are still asleep (teenagers don't like getting up in holidays!!:rolleyes: ). I try to keep them quiet until about 8.30/9.00, then give up!

wendywu
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
[
QUOTE=MaryMary;883775]Surely earplugs would defeat the object if OPs hubby is making a phone call? :D
I

No men never listen any way, so should not make any difference :laughing: :clapping: :laughing:

wendywu
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=MaryMary;883775]Surely earplugs would defeat the object if OPs hubby is making a phone call? :D

No men never listen anyway, so should not make any difference :laughing: :laughing:

Baildon bears
04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Just a though, have you got a back door you could ask parents to go to as not to disturb hubby, all my mindees come in through my kitchen to stop muddy feet ruining my carpet.

JCrakers
05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Surely earplugs would defeat the object if OPs hubby is making a phone call? :D

lol....:D :D Ive got a picture in my head of him sitting there trying to talk on his call with earplugs in...It's like a little britian sketch.

Thanks everyone....I can just see Mums face now when I lead the two boys into her on straps....:laughing: 'Come on boys'
I could try some gaffer tape...now theres a thought :D mmmm.......
(only kidding of course:thumbsup: )

That would be a great invention actually....gaffertape for kids! Could make millions :laughing:
Becky xx

Mouse
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
The messing around at home time is such a common thing and nothing to do with your DH working from home. I think all my mindees have done it at some time, even the ones who are little angels all day. The problem isn't that your DH is there, the problem is that even the loveliest child turns into a terror when parents arrive! Most of us have probably had to deal with the same thing.

I would tell parents that when they ring the bell you are going to get the children ready, then bring them to the door. It'll mean leaving the parents standing on the doorstep for a while, but if you've explained to them why you're doing it, I don't see there will be a problem. Don't use your DH as an excuse, say it's because the boys are very well behaved throughout the day, but play up at home time. Say that it's very common & they way to deal with it is to have a quick hand over at the door.

manjay
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
I would tell parents that when they ring the bell you are going to get the children ready, then bring them to the door. It'll mean leaving the parents standing on the doorstep for a while, but if you've explained to them why you're doing it, I don't see there will be a problem. Don't use your DH as an excuse, say it's because the boys are very well behaved throughout the day, but play up at home time. Say that it's very common & they way to deal with it is to have a quick hand over at the door.

This is exactly what I do just to stop the messing around at home time. However my DH often works at home and we both make compromises. In our house my job is just as important as my dh's even though he does earn masses more than me. He just accepts that hometimes are going to be noisy and works around it.

youarewhatyoueat
05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
If the problem is worse when your hubby is making a phone call then I would get him to buy a proper set of headphones with a mouth piece that conect to the phone, the sort that they use in call centres, it will enable him to hear properly. You may have to change the phone for a proper office phone but worth it if its causing problems.

Hope thats more helpful!!

BlondeMoment
05-03-2011, 10:15 PM
The messing around at home time is such a common thing and nothing to do with your DH working from home. I think all my mindees have done it at some time, even the ones who are little angels all day. The problem isn't that your DH is there, the problem is that even the loveliest child turns into a terror when parents arrive! Most of us have probably had to deal with the same thing.

Think this is a great option! Quick hand overs are so much better when they play up at. I've recently introduced giving out stickers for good behaviour at home time. One little lad I have refuses to put his coat or shoes on and just lays on the floor :laughing: Dad has no control whatsoever and I got sick of having to physically throw them out of my house each night LOL. Now he gets a sticker when he's got his coat and shoes on and it works. He knows he won't get one if he plays up lol