PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom lock

Louise0208
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
i know we cant have locks on the bathroom doors but my older 2 kids are at the age where they need there privacy and my mindees just burst there way through any door even though i have tought them to knock on there bedrooms & bathroom.

could i have a small hook & eye type fixing right at the top of the door?

it will be beyond reach even if the mindees get the step stool to the door & easy enough to force open if the need should ever arise.

thank you :thumbsup:

Flisspaps
03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
That's exactly what I have on mine, a hook and eye - Mrs O was happy with it.

gegele
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
i don't do lock because of bad childhood memory where i had to hide behind toilet while neighbour axed down the door.....

wouldn't you use one of those lock with keys that look like phillips screwdriver and put the key towards to of door frame?

my sil did this for her bedroom door ;)

i don't know howofstedy this is though.

sorry not much help.

AliceK
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I didn't know we weren't allowed locks on our doors. We have small bolts on both bathrooms. I have put this in my RA for these rooms and am happy that they are up quite high up, they are stiff to pull accross (Don't think mindees would be able to do it) plus in an emergency they are small enough for me to be able to force the door open anyway. Plus I have a "no closed doors" rule in the house and none of the mindees ever closes the bathroom door when they go to the loo anyway :laughing: . I consider this good enough.

xxxx

sfox2003
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, i have a small lock at the top of the door so my daughter can use it. Her baby brothers always bursting in, which she doesnt mind, but she does when all the mindees are there with him too.

Ofsted didnt mind me having a lock up high.

Rgds

Sarah

Blaze
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I put a stairgate up,s o that the door could be closed with no lock & the older ones could still have privacy.
HTH:)

marnieb
03-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes you can have a lock - I have mine up at adult level so no kids can use it and Mrs O was fine with that!

Carpet Monkeys
03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I have two locks on all my toilet doors - a snib one high up for adults and the one a child height for older mindees can be opened from outside using something flat like a knife! Mrs O was happy with both!

Ava's Nana
03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
i have locks on my bathroom doors, ofsted have seen them and said there fine as there the kind you can open from the outside.

kel1983
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
We have a lock on both our toilet doors. The downstairs door has a sliding lock but is right up the top so children can not reach and upstairs we have one which can easily be unlocked from the outside.

Mrs O was fine with them.

snufflepuff
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
We have locks on our bathroom doors, the type you can open from outside with a coin or knife- I could probably do it with my fingers if I needed to. It's not been an issue yet as all children are still in nappies and also not tall strong enough to open a door anyway!
Nobody ever locks the bathroom door in our house, it only gets closed when OH is doing a number 2 lol!

Chimps Childminding
03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
We also have the type you can open with a knife, screwdriver or coin!!

michellethegooner
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I have locks on our two bathrooms that can be opened from outside, I CAN do it with my fingers they were fine with Ofsted

tulip0803
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a hook and eye about 5 1/2 foot up. It can also be flicked when the door is ajar so if someone accidently locked themselves in I can still open it through the crack :)

caz3007
03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
We also have one that can be opened with a knife and have had to do that in the past with small mindies deciding to lock themselves in and then panic. It wasnt a problem and had them out in seconds

muffins
03-03-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't have a lock, we did have one that could be opened with a screw from the outside HOWEVER it broke when I was in the loo & I couldn't get out! Funny, no, because my mindees where down stairs:panic: I had to shout out the window to the neighbour who had to jump over the back fence & come get me out:blush:

mrs_scottydog
03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
We took the bolt out our bathroom lock, we're probably going to put a bolt near the top of the door though for when we have visitors. Hx

nic t
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
We have a bolt at the top of the door at adult height which can't be opened from the outside.

This was fine.

Louise0208
03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
thanks peeps.....saved the kids modesty :laughing:

personnally it doesnt bother me, i dont like closed doors in any room even the loo :blush:

nokidshere
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I have locks on my bathroom doors. It doesn't worry me in the slightest - the children barely even remember to close the flipping door let alone lock it!

donnam
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes you can have a lock - I have mine up at adult level so no kids can use it and Mrs O was fine with that!I agree that is where i have mine.

Cammie Doodle
03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
i don't do lock because of bad childhood memory where i had to hide behind toilet while neighbour axed down the door.....

wouldn't you use one of those lock with keys that look like phillips screwdriver and put the key towards to of door frame?

my sil did this for her bedroom door ;)

i don't know howofstedy this is though.

sorry not much help.

We have these on the bedroom doors and the bathroom I have 1 key that hings up high on the door frame, so if the need arises I could open a locked door

catswhiskers
03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't even think of not having a lock on my bathroom/toilet, least of all because it's actually downstairs and off my kitchen!

Ours is a working household too and my husband and two teenagers and 12 year old need their privacy in the morning even though it is difficult trying to allocate the bathroom in the morning when mindees are coming in! That's why I'm up at the crack of dawn to get in there before everyone else!

I've had two inspections and the inspector has never mentioned the bathroom lock.

Last inspection was due last November so still waiting, will see what happens.

sweets
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
i dont like going to the loo at other peoples houses if theres no lock on the door. :blush: