PDA

View Full Version : Out of hours minding

Buzz Lightyear
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I've had an enquiry for a Monday and a Wednesday but Mum wants childcare for her one year old from 3pm through to 7pm. My day runs from 7am through to 5pm as I have children of my own.

As it's only four hours, what would you do re. fees and also, would you charge an out of hours rate after 5pm? Mum is desperate as no-one will work until 7pm. Can't say I am keen either so would selfishly want to make it worth my while.

marnieb
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
time and a half for between 5 and 7??? That would be fair to me.

JCrakers
03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
A toughie....I'd probably charge double time for the two hours but then I dont think I'd do a 12hr day. I'm knackered after 10
Think of babysitting hours which is basically what she will have to get if you can't help. I would charge £6-50 £7 if I was babysitting :D

I'd really need some sort of higher pay than the £3.50 I charge to give up 2hrs of my evening :)

Becky x

Buzz Lightyear
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
And what about being under five hours which is generally my rule of thumb for minimum hours?

candylove13
03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I would charge for unsociable hours, you will be working from 7am to 7pm and need to compensate for this. Also your own LO routine will have to change for those two days, so you need to think will it be worth it?
I've done 7pm finishes as a one off and the parents ended up taking the mickey doing it every night. I wasn't charging unsocialable hours and learnt the hard way. Now mindee is picked up at 17.30 every day :) My LO and hubby are a lot happy, and Im less tired.
Your Mom will have to accept your fees I think, as she will struggle to find anyone else to take it on. Just explain why and be confident.

Good luck!

sillysausage
03-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd forget your minimum 5 hours as it is at an inconvenient time.

You need to have an indepth discussion with the mum and maybe tell her what you are prepared to do.
Maybe- 2 hours at normal rate, plus 2 hours at 1.5 or double your normal rate.
Tell her she needs to appreciate that it would mean you working a 12 hour day on the days that her child was with you.
You are prepared to take her on, but trial basis because you need to assess how it affects your children and their normal routines, because it encroaches on your family time.