PDA

View Full Version : Putting Mindees Photos/Updates on Facebook?

phoebe-alice
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi there, I was just looking at a local childminders website to get tips for my own and found they also had their childminding facebook profile linked.
What I was worried about is this lady has lots of pictures of what the mindees have been doing day to day and has wrote what they have been doing every day even with names of the children and things like that. It was an open profile so anyone can look at it. I would have thought for information like that in an open profile you must password protected so only the parents could see?
I was just worried about the privacy of that as anyone could view these wee ones. They must of had parental permission to post them but still seemed a little odd to me? Maybe I'm just over protective though? :laughing:
I usually keep facebook and my childminding very apart, but what is everyone elses views on this?

WibbleWobble
03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
i have a facebook account but it is totally non childminding. Its also on friends only so if there was any slip up....

i think having it open is not good....really not good

i know some have theirs on friends only giving parents a lovely view of what their LOs get up to.

mandy xx

Flisspaps
03-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I wonder if she knows that it is an open profile, it seems to be very bad practice to have names and photos etc accessible to all, even ^with^ consent from parents.

phoebe-alice
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I wonder if she knows that it is an open profile, it seems to be very bad practice to have names and photos etc accessible to all, even ^with^ consent from parents.

I'm not sure as I don't know her personally, I was just looking at local websites to get ideas of what information other childminders provide.

I don't know whether to email her any raise my concern, I just feel I will be shot down for raising it? Its a hard one. :blush:

Mookins
03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure as I don't know her personally, I was just looking at local websites to get ideas of what information other childminders provide.

I don't know whether to email her any raise my concern, I just feel I will be shot down for raising it? Its a hard one. :blush:

perhaps just send her amessage saying you came across her on facebook and that everyone can see the pictures, say you didnt know if this was intended but did she know facebook had recently changed some settings and maybe thats why everyone can see... explain from a cm to a cm in case she gets in trouble

xx

Flisspaps
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I think Mookins has a very good suggestion there.

mufftie
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
It's a big no no in my opinion

I never speak about my minding on my fb let alone put photos anywhere on the net

My 11yr old son did post some photos of a mindee that he had taken on his ds but I soon told him to remove them and why he shouldn't do it again bless him he didn't realise the implications and the mindee in question was my niece so his cousin so why should he realise not to

arly
03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
suppose this all comes down to parental permission again....if parents allow for you to do this then you have covered yourself... i wouldnt go to the extent of revealing day to day routine and naming the child tho.

gegele
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
i would tell her to check about law...if i was a parent i would flip!!

my friend posted picture of our kids on a outing we did and suddenly i saw my mindee in full view so i phoned my friend and asked her to delete the post. she was really apologetic bless her. told mum who laughed it off and said that she was happy to see i was protective lol.

putting pic to theworld, naming places you've been...great way to get followed by a peado!!

funfunfun
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I have kids pics on my website thats the only place they go with parental permission of course :laughing: :laughing:

levason
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I have a parent page on my website which is password protected just for the parents of children in my care and obviously if I have permission.

I also have a fb page, but my status' are very general, things like 'had a lovely day with the mindee's making salt dough' or 'all mindee's gone for the day and now time for a cuppa'

I have a few pics on there but I've cropped them so it might show a pair of hands painting a picture or photo's of the end product made by the children but no faces, all heads are chopped off and i tend to just zoom in on the activity iykwim!

The Juggler
03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
i steer well clear of using fb for minding purpose - I might use it for advertising at some point but not for communicating with parents about children.

nokidshere
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
To be honest if someone messaged me saying that I shouldn't have pictures and its an open profile etc etc I would tell them to mind their own business!!!

donnam
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
perhaps just send her amessage saying you came across her on facebook and that everyone can see the pictures, say you didnt know if this was intended but did she know facebook had recently changed some settings and maybe thats why everyone can see... explain from a cm to a cm in case she gets in trouble

xxI agree with mookins its all very well on a personall website but facebook should be a BIG NO NO.x.:angry:

MummaFairy
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I've recently registered and throughout our training we have been reminded that when you put any photos on facebook they no longer belong to you!
:(

nokidshere
03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't get what everyone thinks is so bad about fb?

You can make it as private as you like - no-one can do anything if you dont put the details of where you live or the childrens names?

Why is everyone so afraid of it?

kel1983
03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I have a page linked to my fb account advertising me being a childminder. I have no photos on it and never write anything aboout the children on it.

onceinabluemoon
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Facebook is not secure or private no matter what your settings are set to!

I'm absolutely amazed that people out there still believe it is!

It is notoriously easy to hack and a lot of the time you can read people's accounts without being on their friend list even when their settings are all set to private (not though the normal route but not an illegal/hacking way either...)

So personally I wouldn't use FB for childminding, but each to their own.

levason
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I think fb has it's advantages depending on how it's used, I mainly update my status to remind people I'm a childminder and I'm available, put links to my website and for me it's paid off as I've had enquiries, like I said previously I do not have pictures of the children just general pictures such as the woods we visit or when we made salt dough I zoomed in on the childs hands actually making the model so no one would no who they were, on the other hand I am very aware that it can be hacked and still is a very public thing so privacy is a big thing for me. Definiately pro's and con's! xx

nokidshere
03-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Facebook is not secure or private no matter what your settings are set to!

I'm absolutely amazed that people out there still believe it is!

It is notoriously easy to hack and a lot of the time you can read people's accounts without being on their friend list even when their settings are all set to private (not though the normal route but not an illegal/hacking way either...)

So personally I wouldn't use FB for childminding, but each to their own.

I do, of course understand all that. But what can happen if someone looks at your page? if you dont give personal details (which any sane person wouldn;t do on any website) then status update or a chat with friends is meaningless to other people? My account doesn't have anything about me on it - just inane status stuff like "I just prepped a roast dinner and am now going to put my feet up"!

I put photos of my boys up and friends only can see them - but really - what could happen if someone else could see them? Nothing more sinister than can happen by being out and about in my home town surely?

Flisspaps
03-03-2011, 09:15 PM
nokidshere The childminder in question IS putting the children's names on though. What if (for example) you have a parent banned from having contact with a child, and the photo and name are spotted on the profile (via a mutual acquaintance - it DOES happen)

It doesn't take much to then find out where the CM lives - perhaps a listing on Yell.com or google - despite Ofsted saying that we shouldn't advertise with addresses visible. I know they were horrified when I rang to complain that my full address was visible on the direct.gov listings, as were my LA.

It might seem far fetched but this is the sort of thing we have to consider as CMs.

Also, the photos on facebook are not the property of the owner, but the property of facebook, so effectively anyone can use them for any purposes they wish. Even when deleted, they are accessible if you save the link prior to deletion.

I am certainly not afraid of facebook, and use it most days and am quite happy to post pictures of DD fully aware of the fact that her photo could then be used by others, but I will not post pictures of mindees, and even on my website would only use pictures with explicit permission and without any kind of identifying detail.

Pauline
03-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I put photos of my boys up and friends only can see them - but really - what could happen if someone else could see them? Nothing more sinister than can happen by being out and about in my home town surely?

In this case it is about a parent's rights, they have the right to say where their child's photo can be used. The childminder cannot decide to use photos or information anywhere, without that parental permission.

As Flisspaps says it could even lead to safeguarding issues. :(

Blackcat
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a page linked to my fb account advertising me being a childminder. I have no photos on it and never write anything aboout the children on it.

Similar thing here.

Mine has the word childminder in my title and the name of my business on my job page and i think the only statues I have put remotely relating to CM is had a lovely day with some new friends

nokidshere
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
In this case it is about a parent's rights, they have the right to say where their child's photo can be used. The childminder cannot decide to use photos or information anywhere, without that parental permission.

As Flisspaps says it could even lead to safeguarding issues. :(

Of course

But the OP doesn't know if the parents have given permission or asked the childminder to put them on?!

Flisspaps
04-03-2011, 08:51 AM
No nokidshere, but there is nothing preventing ANYONE else using those photographs as they are the property of facebook, and the parents cannot give written consent for every single person on facebook to use them. For example, there is nothing to stop ME copying and pasting the photographs and using them in my own advertising materials. And if the parents were then to see their children in my brochure or website, there is nothing they can do to get me to take it down (as far as I understand it, I seem to recall something similar happening where a company was using photographs from facebook in their promotional material without the knowledge of those in the pictures, and those pictured couldn't do anything about it)

Posting pictures on your own website means that you still own them and therefore others are not permitted to use them without your consent.

phoebe-alice
04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Yes I agree, I'm not condoning the use of facebook at all. Just the fact that anyone at all can view the children and their names ect.
It would be brilliant resource for the parents to view what they have been doing and pictures if it was a private profile. I just wouldn't like the idea of my wee one being publicly posted for anyone to see as you hear about some dodgy things that go on in these types of network sites. Like I put all my photos to private so only my friends or selected people can view.
I went on a safeguarding children course and a lot of the course was actually centred on use of the internet and websites like facebook so it has just made me very aware on what can happen and what to watch out for.
I didn't mean to kick up a stink just wanted to hear some other opinions on the subject. :blush:

KimW
04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
In my experience no photo of a child is safe on facebook. I have in the past put pics of my own on there, settings to friends only, thinking they were fine......:panic:

One friend tagged herself, one just trook some and posted them on her page and one posted a link to my album! Altho obv they meant no harm i had no control over who was viewing my pics so have removed them.

This obv is also true of childminding pics. Tbh i think it's worrying she has done this. Facebook is just too big and pics can quickly get in the wrong hands. While there is no proof some dodgy perv hasn't seen them.....there is no proof he/she hasn't.