PDA

View Full Version : how do you play with the mindees

Beenletloose
02-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi have just started minding and was wondering how do you spend your time when the children are playing.

for example if they are playing in the sand in the garden, are you stuck in there with them or are you sitting down near them, chatting and discussing the play.

if they are painting are you sitting at the table with them painting too, or maybe doing paperwork at the table next to them.

basically are we as childminders suppose to be playing the whole time with the children or can we sit back and observe them too.

i know at my son's nursery the children are left alone to play a lot.

thx guys any help would be appreciated as i find it hard to do everything. and my mindees don't nap anymore so don't get time to do paperwork, as i have my own little boy and he goes to bed at 7.30pm by them i'm too knackered to do my own bits.

youarewhatyoueat
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Yes definately sit back and observe, do your paperwork while listening to them interact, I love just listening to children sometimes they have some amazing ideas that you can then take forward with them. most play should be child led with guidance and help when appropriate.
Have a stash of postit notes to jot down obs and notes on. Paperwork doesn't have to look pretty and printed its a working document and as such can look quite scruffy sometimes because its been done while 'on the job' so to speak!! and you should then have time to crash in the evenings.

mushpea
02-03-2011, 04:20 PM
activites like painting, play dough etc I ususaly sit and either do with them or sit with them and talk about the colours textures etc
if they are playing with sand or outside or playing with toys then i normaly just sit and watch and obserrve

Bushpig
02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
I do both, dependent on what else needs to be done - eg: daily diaries... and what the kids are doing. A good mix really. I think there is a time to observe (and take photos of the kids doing what they're doing etc.) and a time to get stuck in and enjoy the play with the kiddies :thumbsup:

Pixie dust
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I spend a lot of my time playing ..thats the fun bit, but I try and follow the childrens lead if thet want to be left to play alone thats fine.. I try and spend time interacting with them and building their communication skills as I have under 3's

georgie456
02-03-2011, 05:11 PM
I tend to do both. I make sure I am nearby so if I am needed I can join in, but of the children are absorbed and playing, I sit back and watch and listen. I have found in the past that they are playing a lovely game and I come blundering in with questions and ruin it!!!!!!!!

singingcactus
02-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I stay in the same area as the children, but unless I am purposefully invited to join in I observe. It is not possible for play to be completely child led if an adult has their hand in it. An adult will impact on the play just by being included no matter what they think or how hard they try not to impact or lead play. When play is adult led it prevents the child from exploring fully their play scenarios.
Only by allowing the children to play, chat, interact with each other can the child imagination reach it's full potential. And imaginative children are much better learners, much more able to make and keep friends and are at an all round advantage to less imaginative children.
Our job is to set up play invitations, provide resources and first hand experiences that can then be explored through play. Our job is definitely not to lead play.

Beenletloose
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
thanks everyone, i do love to observe them playing, their imaginations are brillant, it really makes me chuckle, i do love to play chase games, and tug games (where they grab my legs and i pretend to fall on the floor), so i suppose that is the time when i best interact with them, or when we are on outings.

so it makes me feel better that most of you too sit back and observe the wonderful world of childhood.:clapping:

babs
02-03-2011, 08:41 PM
i observe them when free playing and sometimes add others items for them to play with, but when it comes to lego i have my own and build my own house and bridges :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: only joking but yes i do build and then they copy me or knock mine over. same goes for art work we made daffs on tuesday and i made one too...:blush: srry you have to have a sample...:D

kel1983
02-03-2011, 08:54 PM
i observe them when free playing and sometimes add others items for them to play with, but when it comes to lego i have my own and build my own house and bridges :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: only joking but yes i do build and then they copy me or knock mine over. same goes for art work we made daffs on tuesday and i made one too...:blush: srry you have to have a sample...:D

I am the same. I am usually the one building big buildings out of the Duplo and they knock it down. And when it comes to craft activities I make one too to show them how to do it and so I have an example of what we do.

I do tend to sit back and observe. I only really try and get involved when they are looking lost or ask for assistance. I think they need to be able to get on with it on their own.

TheBTeam
02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I do a mixture of everything, playing with them, them playing on their own, me observing and occasionally doing paperwork.

I often find the best conversations are when they think I am not listening, the things they will say to each otehr but will not say when an adult is there is comical!

Rmead
02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
I think I'm doing too much at the moment but it's only the end of day two! I think because my own daughter is only just about 1 and has always been a pretty demanding child I'm not used to the sitting back, but agree that child led play will help them develop more. I'm sure when they're more settled and comfortable in my setting they will be more independent.

sweets
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
i do a bit of both, all my mindees are 2 so its great listening to their conversations, my favourite one this week was one of them asking the other if he could sit and read the paper for a bit :laughing: he then picked up one of my home magazines and sat on the sofa for a good 5 mins and 'read' it

i join in on things like making tracks and bridges but when its comes to the imagination stuff i tend to leave them to it as im rubbish at that sort of play! lol

catswhiskers
02-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the world of childminding!

7.30pm is still early for me! I'm still clearing/washing up/ironing/sorting out family clothes, tidying up, going Sainsburys, seeing to my own three.

It is very physically and mentally tiring but I still find myself having to do paperwork till late at night. I'm one of those people who need only around 5/6 hours sleep a night (this started when I had my first child 18 years ago and he was a bad sleeper) so I suppose I'm lucky.

Do what you think is right with the children - some kids want you there all the time, joining in, talking to them - others are more independent and you can let them lead. Some need more encouragement with using stuff if they're not used to it at home but I don't push them and if they want to just look on then let them.