PDA

View Full Version : Potential new mindee - baby - please reply!

nessynoodle
02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi all

I have a meeting tonight with parents looking for 1 day a week for their 4 month (will be 6 month when starts) baby.

I am really excited because I'd love to look after a baby, but last time I looked after a 4 month old I had a VERY paranoid mother who watched over me and I became really anxious and lost confidence. I am confident with babies but more worried about making sure the parents trust that, as I know it that age with a first child it is difficult to leave them. I am also young with no children of my own so always feel I have to work a bit harder to prove myself!

So all I'm asking is for any ideas of what sort of questions I can ask them tonight. I obviously ask all about baby's formula and how we will organise that (sterilising etc), her routine with sleeps etc, weaning, how she is with new people - happy in general or not, their views on parenting anything specific they want from me, all the boring paperwork stuff like payment..........

Is there anything else baby specific that you can think of?? I don't look after any babies at the moment and just can't think!!

Thanks

~Chelle~
02-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Think that you have most things covered. Make sure you state the things they need to provide too, nappies, milk, wipes, nappy cream, changes of clothes, bibs, ect.

The best thing is to show them how you are with their baby, ask for a cuddle ect. I have found that parents like it if you interact with their children, no matter how small.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you :)

pinkbutterfly
02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Just off the top of my head ... any activities she enjoys (like maybe mum takes her to baby swimming/singing etc), any particular songs she likes, does she use a dummy or have a muslin to comfort?

pinkbutterfly
02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Oh and also discuss car seat and pram arrangements ... some parents are very 'particular' when it comes to these ...

mrs robbie williams
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Hi all

I have a meeting tonight with parents looking for 1 day a week for their 4 month (will be 6 month when starts) baby.

I am really excited because I'd love to look after a baby, but last time I looked after a 4 month old I had a VERY paranoid mother who watched over me and I became really anxious and lost confidence. I am confident with babies but more worried about making sure the parents trust that, as I know it that age with a first child it is difficult to leave them. I am also young with no children of my own so always feel I have to work a bit harder to prove myself!

So all I'm asking is for any ideas of what sort of questions I can ask them tonight. I obviously ask all about baby's formula and how we will organise that (sterilising etc), her routine with sleeps etc, weaning, how she is with new people - happy in general or not, their views on parenting anything specific they want from me, all the boring paperwork stuff like payment..........

Is there anything else baby specific that you can think of?? I don't look after any babies at the moment and just can't think!!

Thanks

awwww love tiny babies:) sounds like you have everything covered to me :thumbsup: do you have all the equipment - or do you need mum to bring anything is the only thing that sprung into my mind. Good luck :D

keeks
02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
The parents of my youngest ones have really appreciated to do their four settling sessions, where during the first they show me how they change, feed etc their baby, the second I have done the same so parents could help with advice in case of any problem. Most of them have also used the last settling session to put the baby to sleep before I had to do it the first time. They then went for a walk or something and I called them when baby woke up.

I explained this procedure during the first visit and they all really liked it.

If they are anxious about leaving baby it might be worth mentioning that you are very happy to text them during the first few sessions to let them know how the baby is doing. I usually text pictures and comments the first couple of days.

xx

nessynoodle
02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have just gone and it went great. Baby was gorgeous and will be starting in April!!!!

:clapping:

Minstrel
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Well done! My DD is 6 months and its a lovely age! :D

babs
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
great news bet your looking forward to it... the 2 youngest i have started with me at around 5 months and 6 months now both 1 enjoyed every minute as others have said text parents and send pictures i still do this from time to time like last week lo walked for 1st time at play group hubby was with me and caught it on camera so i text it over she text me back thank you didnt think she was ever gonna walk.. lo is nearly 15 months old...

Minstrel
02-03-2011, 08:07 PM
ARGH!!!!

Babs you have just reminded me of something! I'm currently looking for a CM for my DD for later in the year..... she probably won't be walking by the time she starts....What if i miss her first steps???? :panic:

babs
02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
ARGH!!!!

Babs you have just reminded me of something! I'm currently looking for a CM for my DD for later in the year..... she probably won't be walking by the time she starts....What if i miss her first steps???? :panic:

ask them to video her all time shes on her feet i do then put on memory stick send it home at night they download it send it back quite often get a call saying thank you dont always tell them whats on it so its a suprize to... but she might be walking other lo walked at 8 months hes into running now and climbing lots which i to video...

Minstrel
02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
ask them to video her all time shes on her feet i do then put on memory stick send it home at night they download it send it back quite often get a call saying thank you dont always tell them whats on it so its a suprize to... but she might be walking other lo walked at 8 months hes into running now and climbing lots which i to video...

Wow 8 months is very early. DD is 6 months now and not even crawling yet so I doubt she'll be an early walker :rolleyes:

Good idea about the videos though!

babs
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow 8 months is very early. DD is 6 months now and not even crawling yet so I doubt she'll be an early walker :rolleyes:

Good idea about the videos though!

8 months is early he was walking for halloween and was one in feb. but then again my son walked at 8 months and neice also walked at 8 months... other lo's mum keeps saying she should be walking like xx and i just say in her own time she will they are all different after all and 2 months makes all the diffence.

The Juggler
02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
how did the meeting go hon?

nessynoodle
03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Went great thanks, baby starting in 8 weeks! parents were lovely, laid back, chatty. And they said that they might increase from 1 day a week to 2 so that would be great (I will be full for under 5's if they do!)

And as it happened we just chatted about loads of stuff really (from labour to theatre!), I probably missed some questions out but it didnt matter and they will all be sorted in the all about me and info forms anyway.

x

The Juggler
03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Went great thanks, baby starting in 8 weeks! parents were lovely, laid back, chatty. And they said that they might increase from 1 day a week to 2 so that would be great (I will be full for under 5's if they do!)

And as it happened we just chatted about loads of stuff really (from labour to theatre!), I probably missed some questions out but it didnt matter and they will all be sorted in the all about me and info forms anyway.

x

that's fab news. well done. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

jane5
03-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Fantastic:jump for joy:

I love having babies:D

gegele
03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
well done
:thumbsup: