PDA

View Full Version : RA help!!

sumayra
01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
hi
iv not done a RA before but am just preparing my paperwork. Do I need to keep copies of the risk assesment? and for how long? also do I need to do a RA for the garden everyday, even if i dont intend to use it that day? last question, do I need to do a RA everyday for the school run? sorry about al the questions but so hard to understand when uv not had practice

babs
01-03-2011, 10:01 PM
i ra my garden every day dont write it out just tick it off saying ive looked round and note anything i do ie: empty water out of tikes ( risk of drowning)if its rained. pick nuts up off patio ( squirrels drop them risk of choking ) check for cat ****.... etc .... walking to school o ra daily to and note anything thats changed ie. road works or cars parked over dropped curb out side school, cars pulling on to pavement to park as we walk past etc ( they get piece of my mind daily ) deliveries going in and out of school gates ( preschool door right next to kitchen door so most days have to put something down ( risk of been hit by car, risk of been burnt as driver carrys hot food to car while we wait outside) hth..

berkschick
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I have a school run RA for each day as I have diff kids each day and need diff buggy etc. Sometimes we walk straight from School to toddlers or pre school so I found it easier to do one per day and down the side I just note the date I reassessed it which is as a rule everyday. So Mondays RA has all monday dates down the side.

Penny1959
02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Hello
Yes you should keep your RA's and evidence that you have done them. Not sure how long for - would say until next inspection at least - but I keep mine forever.

I do not do as much written documentation as the other posters but I do risk assess every day and all of every day.

I have generic written RA's - that have the things that I need to consider / do.
Then I just note in my diary if anything 'amiss' and what I did about it.

With risk assessment - as with most things there is not one 'right way' of doing them - and you have to find a method that works for you and provides the evidence that you do risk assess and you do take action to keep the children safe.

Penny :)

sumayra
02-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you for all your replies, really really do appreciate it. Just one last question, my neighbours fence has fallen down and we have asked them to have it mended which they say they will before summer. Also my garden is a bit of a mess as we had a new kitchen fitted and have not cleared everything up yet. Will this affect my inspection? the children do not go out to play, I realise I do need to get these things done but is it necessary before inspection? also my neighbour wont do the fence within the next couple of weeks before inspection. Shall I pay for it? sorry about all the question, think im just over worried about inspection

Penny1959
02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Just make a note as you have on here.

Make sure you tell the inspector about your plans for outdoor play during time that can't use garden.

Most likely you will get an action to make garden safe and a requirement that don't use garden until have done so.

Penny :)

berkschick
02-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I would definately get the back garden cleaned up and the rubbish to the tip before your inspection. They are very big on access to outside play. Not sure what I would do about the fence though, maybe do a RA and see what you can do as a temp measure?