PDA

View Full Version : suspect neighbour of minding unregistered

Katiekoo
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I have a neighbour who said she was thinking about childminding, she had lots of questions and I tried to answer frankly. She was really interested, until I told her how much I get paid and about some of the costs, Ofsted fee, insurance etc (we get this free in the first year here). She said she thought the Ofsted involvement was 'off putting' and the eyfs work seemed a lot for the amount of pay you get, I said 'I know' :rolleyes:!
This week I noticed a lady arriving at her house in the morning with a child, seeming to drop off and later seeming to pick up.
Seems like I'm overly nosy I know :blush:, but I can't help feeling really annoyed, doesn't affect my business directly as I don't have schoolies at the moment, but I feel like this cheapens our proffession. edited to say; Also clearly puts children at risk.
I think I'll try to have a word with her make sure she realises it's not ok to do this.
Stupid quesion but HOW not ok is it to mind unregistered? Would she get fined/imprisoned/cautioned or just investigated by Ofsted? What can I deter her with?

Minstrel
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
As far as i know Ofsted don't 'do' a lot about it. Send them a letter i think asking them if they are aware that they should be reg'd.

I'd still report them and to the inland revenue though even if it was to make myself feel better. :D

Blackcat
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
ring inland rev ;)

cristinatuscanu
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
The same thing happens in my area,so many doing it unregistered.Someone at my childminding course said she sent her sun in and gave him some pencils and paper:eek: ,as the lady doesn't provide it.And she charges £10 for 3 hours(that's how long my colleg is at the course).

The Juggler
01-03-2011, 10:14 PM
i would mention to her that minding unregistered is illegal, the children are not insured and doesnt she know people get reported for far less:panic:

barbarella68
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't jump to conclusions it might be a friend and she was doing her a favour- no fee involved.

Penny1959
02-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Agree with The Juggler - talk to her - to make sure she understands about the law and the benefits of being registered - and the difference of looking after a friends child on occassion to frequently looking after the child.

I don't think you are being 'nosey' - but best to speak to her rather than jumping to the wrong conclusion after just one incident - however if keeps happening or different children being dropped off - then report it

This Ofsted document gives further information
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Care-and-local-services/Childcare/Compliance-investigation-and-enforcement-handbook/Offences-and-statutory-enforcement-actions/(language)/eng-GB

Penny :)

Katiekoo
02-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks all, I am going to make an effort to chat to her about it. I don't think she would mean to do anything wrong, she probably doesn't realise. I'll let her know that she needs to be sure she's not breaking the rules.
Thanks so much everyone great advice as usual :)

pinkbutterfly
02-03-2011, 01:34 PM
How old is the child? Maybe she only minds kids aged 8 and over? She wouldn't need to be registered if they're there for 2 hours a day or shorter.

keeks
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd wait and see, then talk to her and warn her that it is illegal and she could get into trouble.

Personally I don't think I would report her, although I wouldn't blame anyone for doing so. I see what you mean about it cheapening our proffession, but I still don't think I would. I would prefer talking directly to her.

xx

the happy house
02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
You could open the conversation lightly, just to test the water.
Just say something like, "I see you're minding already. Well done for getting through the registration so soon." See what she says. If she says she isn't miding, just say, "oh, my mistake, I thought the child I'd seen coming round was your first client."
Just see where the conversation goes. If you then really do still feel she's working illegally, report it. You could always call your children's services pretending to be a parent. Asking for contact details for childminder called xxxxx. If they haven't heard of her, you know she isn't registered.

Ripeberry
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I have a neighbour who said she was thinking about childminding, she had lots of questions and I tried to answer frankly. She was really interested, until I told her how much I get paid and about some of the costs, Ofsted fee, insurance etc (we get this free in the first year here). She said she thought the Ofsted involvement was 'off putting' and the eyfs work seemed a lot for the amount of pay you get, I said 'I know' :rolleyes:!
This week I noticed a lady arriving at her house in the morning with a child, seeming to drop off and later seeming to pick up.
Seems like I'm overly nosy I know :blush:, but I can't help feeling really annoyed, doesn't affect my business directly as I don't have schoolies at the moment, but I feel like this cheapens our proffession. edited to say; Also clearly puts children at risk.
I think I'll try to have a word with her make sure she realises it's not ok to do this.
Stupid quesion but HOW not ok is it to mind unregistered? Would she get fined/imprisoned/cautioned or just investigated by Ofsted? What can I deter her with?

To be honest they don't do much At ALL! Theses people get a warning but most don't take any notice and will carry on (one unregistered carer in my area had a visit from Ofsted and she just said that she does it for nothing as she LOVES children). But then she spends ages telling me that she wishes people would stop asking her to look after the kids :mad:
Well if she is doing it for NOTHING! what does she expect? :rolleyes:

The problem is, that we the ones who do it correctly, get registered, pay for all the required insurance ect... WE are the ones who get in trouble as Ofsted can do things to us but not to THEM!
Makes me mad :angry: