PDA

View Full Version : feeling a bit deflated

JCrakers
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Really feeling a bit down at the moment. I always feel a bit grotty after coming back from toddler group. It's the one bit of my job I hate, wish I didnt have to go but it has to be done as the kids love it. I tried the local Childminding group when I started 3yrs ago but it was very depressing so I go along to local toddlers twice a week. Apparently theres a few childminders who found it the same.
I knew a lot of people when I first started going but they've all left. Sometimes I go and have a good conversation with a couple of people, other times I speak to nobody.

I also took on a baby in Sept and it didnt work out as she didnt settle. I kept the place open for free for 7 months as it was a sibling of a girl I care for. I had to give notince after 8weeks.
I had a couple of enquiries at the time that I had to turn down because i was full. Now I've have had a full time vacancy since end of Nov. I'm just waiting for a phonecall but am starting to feel low about the whole thing.
Because I dont go to the childminding group I am not on the vacancy list so I suppose all the work goes to the other childminders first. I'm checking childcare.co.uk most days.
At toddler group I sit and listen to parents telling each other what a fantastic nursery their little one goes to and it makes me feel really inferior.

Sorry for the moan, I'm usually quite happy about things....i'll feel better soon as we are doing some craft when little one has woken up...The strong coffee is also helping!! Shame I cant help myself to a G&T....:D (Roll on 6pm when I'll pour myself one)
Thanks for listening
Becky x

Mrs Pootle
01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Sorry your're feeling low, this job can be quite lonely at times. I don't really have any advice, but didn't want to read 'n' run.

Keep your chin up, it'll soon be 6pm :)

Polly2
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Could you go to some different groups instead of toddlers? I am going to a music/movement class today and music bugs tomorrow. I love them and the kids get loads out of it.

Best part is you don't have to make conversation :clapping:

I hope things pick up soon xx

Vickster
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
You are not inferior. I think it is depressing time of year. Spring flirted with us last week and now it is cold/rainy again! I was contemplating a toddler group this morning, but chose a walk to the park and muddy puddles, it was nice to get some fresh air and clear my head.

I felt depressed yesterday as I had my older ones back after half term and their manners had vanished. I told them off in the end, dropped them home on the way to my sons swimming lesson, left the house in a mess and came back to a husband who thought we had been burgled. I started to think is it worth it?

I hope you get the call soon. Every job has its low moments

Katiekoo
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I've just come back from toddlers too, and it left me feeling rubbish today :(
You are not alone, just remember the bits of job you love and make the most of those. Other classes/groups or outings may help you feel less down.

The Juggler
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
oh hon, why not contact your DO. Ask if they have a support childminder who can befriend you. If no official scheme they will probably know someone lovely locally who'd be willing to help.

We don't have a scheme here but my cc manager knows she can give my number to anyone who is struggling. where are you hon? If you PM me you can have my mobile number and call me whenever and happy to visit if you are not to far.:)

Fraggle1
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry your feeling down hun - it can defo. have it's ups and downs this job and I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks! lol
however, I'm sure once the sun starts shining your spirits will lift! Spring is on it's way and you'll be out and about all day enjoying the weather!

Could you maybe get your own little group going? xx