PDA

View Full Version : sharing music question

Polly2
01-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi guys

I have a question. We ahve been doing loads of singing and dancing lately and the children are all going home with favourite songs/bits of songs. Parents have been asking which songs we do and can I give them the words etc as they want to do them at home.

I have cd's of some and some I have bought off itunes. I have downloaded all onto my ipod. Would it be ok to put their favs on to a cd to share with parents or would I be breaking copyright? Like I said I have bought all the music myself.

What do you think? - trying to work in partnership with parents ha ha! :laughing:

The Juggler
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
i used to work in a record company. when I left it was right in the first few years of the download charts and copyrigth issues were big.

Not sure if it's changed now but at the time (2004) the lastest technology was to allow CD's to be copied x number of times and after that you would not be able to copy them again (however, guess you could get round that by downloadign to PC and then copying to a CD as often as you wanted :laughing: ). Thing is they knew everyone did it and used free download sites so this was their way of allowing it legally whilst restricting it, ifyswim.

So, yes copying once or twice should be fine. If they don't want it copied the technology is available to block copying even once. However I'm sure if you google it'll tell you about making illegal copies and the rules as they are now.

Polly2
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Thats great thanks for the advice! I will google also! xx