PDA

View Full Version : Working with Social Serives

rainbowsplash
27-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi all

A friend of mine who is a social worker has asked me today if I would be interested in doing respite care for them, thing is I have only just registered and I always thought that we had to be registered for a certain amount of time before we could do this? Can anyone help and does anyone have any experience, good or bad? It's something I had previously thought about but as I said I didn't think I would be able to do it straight away?

Any advice would be welcomed, thanks all.

xx

sweets
27-02-2011, 08:21 PM
i do it! i look after 2 LO's who have special needs. you really have to think about wether you can take the child on and if they will fit into your setting and with the other children you have, Dont be afraid to say no.

i am paid an enhanced rate by social services as the children quite often need a lot of care and it may limit how many other children you can care for alonside them.

its hard work but very very rewarding!

venus89
27-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I do it. In my case it's the Mum with the problem rather than the child. It's been emotional at times but SS have been wonderful, always willing to listen to me and work with me. I don't think you necessarily need experience to agree to do respite care, just think about each case on its own merits, as sweets says. Oh, and SS aren't always that great at paying :rolleyes:

blue bear
27-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I used to do it alot before we moved, I was newly registered when I started but had worked for social services before. It is hard work emotionally and physically but very rewarding I say go for it.

rainbowsplash
27-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your responses, it's something I am really interested in doing and as has been mentioned would have to think about each case individually.

It has also made me feel quite appreciated as a person as it was a friend who asked me :)

Will speak to them tomorrow about it I think. I have heard they also help with a couple of courses ie challenging behaviour etc, sounds a great opportunity to make a difference.

xx

smellyellie
28-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi am just wondering how do you go about getting involved/working with social services, i think i could be quite interested in doing something like this

venus89
28-02-2011, 05:41 PM
In my case they just found me through the normal channels. I don't have anything special going with them. But maybe you could phone the local SS and ask them? It sounds like they all vary....

caz3007
28-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I knew a SW in childrens services when I first started and she said if I needed work to phone them and they would put me on their list, so its worth giving them a ring and see what they say

Zoomie
28-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Our local NCMA office has a lady that co-ordinates all the social care work. Similar to a DO, if have one.

rainbowsplash
28-02-2011, 06:49 PM
From what I have heard it just varies from area to area but if you're interested in doing it then go for it, lots of CSO's/DO's put people forward for it too

xx

The Juggler
28-02-2011, 10:21 PM
i've had 5 or six children some for a few months some for longer. they always run the case by me so I can decide if it works for me (hours) and whether I can handle the emotional/time needs that the family/child will need.

I have turned down one job because of the parents history because although I was sure i could deal with it I wasn't sure I was prepared to put the other children I had in the situation where they might witness some behaviour that they hadn't seen before.

sign up and never feel you HAVE to ever take on every job they offer you.:thumbsup: