PDA

View Full Version : charging for siblings

jellybean
21-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone, I am a childminder in South london. I was wondering hat you all do when charging for siblings. I have just taken on a younger sibling to a boy I have been minding for a couple of years. I think the mother expected me to cut her a deal but I see it as another childminding place. What do you do in this situation?

jaja
21-04-2008, 05:25 PM
hi

I charge full each, both children recieve the same level of care and they both take a place up so charge full.

:littleangel:

Alibali
21-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I give a 10% discount, but make it clear that the discount is for the older child and not the new one, so that you don't lose out when they move on. I don't think I'd offer a discount again though, as each child gets equal care!

Ali x

jellybean
21-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Yes I do agree with you. I did give her a 10% discount in the end but she just seemed horrified. But it is a full place isn't it. Just checking!:) Thanks for your replies

Pipsqueak
21-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I think I am going to stop discounts - its taking up a place and I don't get discounts on my memberships, insurances etc....

Tickles
21-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi,
I give a 50p discount per hour for sibling & again this is from the oldest childs fee.
Most childminders are the same in my area

fionamal
21-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I do give a 50p discount for the older sibling but have been thinking of stopping this as they are taking up a full space.

Twinkles
21-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Don't do discounts. They don't get less care , they take a full place ( not part of one ).

Tickles
21-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I know, i always just think of how hard it must be for them when trying to find affordable childcare & discounts help, but im maybe just a soft touch!

deeb66
21-04-2008, 06:04 PM
I totally agree with you that the second child is still taking a place regardless.

However.....I do give a 25p per hour discount for the oldest child.

breezy
21-04-2008, 06:12 PM
I give 50p an hour discount for siblings, parents round here seem to expect it, especially as nursery give discount as do other minders! Again this is for eldest child.

Tatia
21-04-2008, 06:25 PM
And just make sure to point out that it's only a lesser fee when you have both together! I had a mother query my invoice cos I charged her my regular fee for her son for the time he was there without his sister cos his school had teacher training!

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I do discounts ...... I know silly me !!!

They are taking up a place though so I agree that its prob best to charge full price

On saying that I see no harm in being nice to parents who have been with me for years - then they have a baby and bring them to me ......... so yep I offer a discount

Angel xx

berkschick
21-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I dont offer a discount.

As Ella is only 20 months, I can only have 2 minded under 5 anyway so I cant afford to offer the places at a discount!

Just because they are related doesnt save you any money so why should you get paid any less lol

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Am I the only mad one ??

Angel xx

charleyfarley
21-04-2008, 06:37 PM
No Angel you are not the only mad one here.

I offer discount too, probably shouldn't really but it's something I've always done.

Carol xx

RedDragon
21-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I have just put my prices up - for those parents with 2 children who come to me I only put 1 child's fees higher.

But for new children there is no discount.

SimplyLucy
21-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I charge the same rate for each sibling, I have 3 from one family. Like you say, they take up a space, they get the same care and to be honest there are times when they are harder work as siblings are more likely to argue than children from different families (or is that just the ones I care for, they'll have full on fights!).......

christine e
21-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't do discounts. See siblings as being a bit of a liability, if parent moves away or loses job etc you lose both of them in one go.
Christine

Gherkin
21-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I give a 50p per hour sibling discount but am seriously thinking of scrapping it. Full time place I think should equal fulltime money.

It doesn't help that I have my first mindee on a discounted rate and I am starting to resent it when the parent keeps telling me about what they are buying at the moment!!!

ajs
21-04-2008, 06:58 PM
it's a good point though
i have one mum pregnant, baby due july and i know money is a bit of a problem for her, not my fees just in general, so i was wondering what to do too.
i know in theory and practice they are taking another place but as angel says if they are good parents it does pay to keep them sweet and this family are one of the best ever, lovely child generous to a fault parents so i don't want to risk them going somewhere cheaper.

angeldelight
21-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Thank god I am not the only soft one Carol haha

I always say im going to charge but I never do

I like to be nice to people and it is nice when you say you offer them discount..... the way I look at it I get to have the baby full time and she might have gone somewhere else if I would not have offered the discount

It is nice to do something nice for someone

Angel xx

Noodles
21-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I dont offer an discounts all children pay the same rate:)

Teresa
21-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I give a 10% discount, but make it clear that the discount is for the older child and not the new one, so that you don't lose out when they move on. I don't think I'd offer a discount again though, as each child gets equal care!

Ali x

i do the same

Pipsqueak
21-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Thank god I am not the only soft one Carol haha

I always say im going to charge but I never do

I like to be nice to people and it is nice when you say you offer them discount..... the way I look at it I get to have the baby full time and she might have gone somewhere else if I would not have offered the discount

It is nice to do something nice for someone

Angel xx

Point taken Angel and no you are not soft you are operating your business the way you think you should and thats fine.

I think though sometimes you weigh it all up when you have spoken to or are speaking to the parent and can see your way that to get the business then you offer little incentives - like any business!