PDA

View Full Version : Car seats in back row of 7 seaters

Rosienufc
25-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm sure in one of my SCMA induction training sessions there was an info session, where we were told you should not put car seats in the rear of 7 seater cars because of how close they are to back of car. Have noticed a few cars out and about with car seats in the rear two seats of Zafira. Is it illegal/inadvisable or was I imagining the training session?!:blush:
To be honest it would be brilliant if you could, because of the shuffling of seats to get older ones in and out of the back on the school run!

Cazz
25-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm sure in one of my SCMA induction training sessions there was an info session, where we were told you should not put car seats in the rear of 7 seater cars because of how close they are to back of car. Have noticed a few cars out and about with car seats in the rear two seats of Zafira. Is it illegal/inadvisable or was I imagining the training session?!:blush:
To be honest it would be brilliant if you could, because of the shuffling of seats to get older ones in and out of the back on the school run!

Well I don't know about the legal side - I hope it's not illegal because I've got a car seat on one of the rear seats in my Galaxy! It's a necessity some days or I wouldn't get all the children in the car!

I do only use those seats when absolutely needed and it's usually my own daughter who sits in the car seat because she loves being at the back for a change.

There has been recent discussion on here about how close those seats are to the rear of the car but in my opinion a small car with a small boot is probably the same and you would be likely to have a car seat in the rear of one of those.

I'll watch this thread with interest!

Penny1959
26-02-2011, 03:53 AM
I have never heard about it being illegal. I hope it is not as I do put car seats in the rear seats.

I use a common sense approach based on where is it best to put the seats. At the moment I have one stage 2 and one stage 3 seats in the rear so a 2 yr old and her 4 year old sister can sit together.

As I work with an assistant and only care for under fives all our children use car seats so if it is illegal to use car seats in the rear seats - I might as well sell the car as would never be able to use it!

Penny

Louise0208
26-02-2011, 08:25 AM
it cant be as we had a group 1 car seat fitted by halfords in the back row of our zafira....halfords wouldnt fit anything illegally....just think of the implications if somthing did go wrong :eek:

muffins
26-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Its not illegal its just not the safest option, but I do it, I have to!

Carol M
26-02-2011, 08:41 AM
When buying new Britax car seats for my Zafira I looked online and there was a section on the Britax website which tells you where their seats are best positioned in your make/model of car. It showed that all rows can have car seats!
The dealership where I bought my car also confirmed that seats can be used in the back row. So I don't believe that is is illegal:panic:
Carol xx

birch24
26-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I have 3 car seats in my back row, but I have a fair amount of bumper and boot space before you get to the seats. It would be more dangerous if I was hit side on!! but you can't be thinking things like that otherwise you would only sit everyone down the middle of the car!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: