PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody a member of national trust???

LittleStar's
25-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone is a member and if so do they use it often, I'm looking at joining but worried that it sounds great now , pay all that money , then never use it. :)

jaytravis
25-02-2011, 06:16 PM
we were only had one place that was close to us but it was lovely to go there with the mindees and my children only thing was after a year to rejoin it was £25 dearer as it was only cheap for the first year although they do send out your new memeber cards about a month before taking your money i cancelled but still have a years membership card dare not use it incase i got caught lol
apart from that if you have plenty of places you can use the card i would say go for it

muffins
25-02-2011, 06:57 PM
We've got 3 castles & a roman fort all within 20mins drive so mine gets lots of use:)
One of them is Dover castle with all the underground tunnels & hospital etc, they also hold lots of events for children during the holidays.:clapping:

funemnx
25-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I got a joint membership with DH 2 years ago. We found we used it quite a bit. Not just our local places but where we've been away for a few days too. My Dad sometimes comes with us too, and I've got my friend in on my hubby's card a few times :blush:

I love going for the long walks and finishing with tea and cake! :laughing:

TheBTeam
25-02-2011, 07:19 PM
It is probably best to search and see what they have to offer near you, then work out how often you are really likely to go.

We have it every year if we go to Swanage, purely because the car park fees we save makes the membership worthwhile, then any other use is a bonus.

Although we havent been to Swanage for about five years.

christine e
25-02-2011, 09:26 PM
We had family membership when ours were little and used it alot. I now have single membership and use it mainly for parking at local country park which costs £5 a time so it works out for us.

Cx

miffy
25-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Hubby and I are members - we use it quite a lot and often have a few days away seeing NT places near wherever we are staying.

It's great in the Lake District too as quite a few car parks are NT and we don't have to pay! :D

Miffy xx

SammyM
25-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I've got such a money saving tip for you!! If you go online and become a member of the New Zealand National trust, you can use that membership to get entry to UK attractions as there is a reciprocal agreement between the two countries, we did it a couple if years ago and saved about £50 on a family membership - well worth all the funny looks from the old dears in the ticket offices!

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w...

Bushpig
25-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Yes, we have been members for years and use it as often as we can :thumbsup:

mrs c
25-02-2011, 11:15 PM
We have been members for years. We used to look through the handbook, suss out places/areas we would like to visit and have a holiday in that area. Certainly got our money's worth!

AnnieM
25-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I am a member, just for the car park fees for Clumber Park as it costs £5, I get my money back in no time, as we use it lots for both days out with the kids and walking the dogs. :thumbsup:

mrs_scottydog
26-02-2011, 09:05 AM
We became members so that we could go to our local forest, we've more than covered the cost of the membership. We also used it on days out a bit further afield. Best thing to do is have a look on their website to see if there are places near you that you go to or would want to go to and see if it would be worth getting a membership. Hx

Kezzle
26-02-2011, 11:02 AM
My boyfriends parents always had a family memebership while him and his siblings were growing up and they used it lots as a cheap family day out and when away on holiday.

Then when me and bf got together we 'borrowed' his dads card and have had it ever since as they didn't use it so much and it allowed us to spend lovely days out exploring for a fraction of the price.
They've cancelled it this year which i was gutted about (now looking into wether i can afford it myself)

It made us go out more we made more of an effort to travel places as we knew we'd only need to pay petrol. Since the cancellation we've been no where :(

Toothfairy
26-02-2011, 11:29 AM
For years we were members of both NT & EH.
I found the children loved the castles more that the stately homes so this year we have stopped the National Trust and just renewed our English Heritage.

We love Dover Castle, Bodium Castle, Pevensay Castle and we have just been to the Lullingston Roman Villa again as my DD is doing a Roman project for school.

EH is £77 for the year (2 adults and up to 6 children) :thumbsup:

Kezzle
26-02-2011, 01:56 PM
For years we were members of both NT & EH.
I found the children loved the castles more that the stately homes so this year we have stopped the National Trust and just renewed our English Heritage.

We love Dover Castle, Bodium Castle, Pevensay Castle and we have just been to the Lullingston Roman Villa again as my DD is doing a Roman project for school.

EH is £77 for the year (2 adults and up to 6 children) :thumbsup:

Thats about same price as NT isnt it?

singlewiththree
26-02-2011, 02:13 PM
My daughter is a member of the national trust so that we get the carpark free It was a lot cheaper for her than for us to join as a family and they aren't really wanting to enter the halls etc at the moment.

Kezzle
26-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I've just been on National Trusts website and they do educational memberships, as a childminder would you be allowed to apply for that one? It's half the price but your then probably limited to term time only.

Mrs Pootle
26-02-2011, 03:49 PM
It is probably best to search and see what they have to offer near you, then work out how often you are really likely to go.

We have it every year if we go to Swanage, purely because the car park fees we save makes the membership worthwhile, then any other use is a bonus.

Although we havent been to Swanage for about five years.

Absolutely love Swanage :thumbsup: - we go every year, and loads of NT places to visit. We always go to Corfe Castle and Brownsea Island, my children nag for us to go every year. It's a long journey for us too as we are from up North.
NT membership is definitley worth it if there are places local to you, or in the area where you might holiday.

georgie456
26-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I've got such a money saving tip for you!! If you go online and become a member of the New Zealand National trust, you can use that membership to get entry to UK attractions as there is a reciprocal agreement between the two countries, we did it a couple if years ago and saved about £50 on a family membership - well worth all the funny looks from the old dears in the ticket offices!

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w...

Thanks for that tip - fab idea!

LittleStar's
27-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone,

I had a look and there are 4 within half an hour, and quite a few where my mums caravan is , so I am going to save up and join in time for the easter holidays xxxx

buildingblocks
27-02-2011, 07:36 PM
We are members of both NT and EH and although we don't have many of the properties near to us we do get our moneys worth as we are within an hour of Clumber Park and an hour to 2 hours drive of quite a few more in Yorkshire. But it comes into its own when we go on holiday as we always try to use it while we are away.