PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofs

mum26
25-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I've been reading that a lot of you put the children in waterproofs to go out in rainy weather. Can I ask which ones do you use and do you supply them or do parents buy their own. Another question, which is probably quite silly, but can they go in the washing machine?

At the mo none of the children I look after have waterproofs, only normal raincoats which don't really keep much of the wet weather off. After being stuck in quite a bit this half term, waterproofs seem very tempting.

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I have all in ones which I bought form a local lady but if you look on e bay there are loads! Regata make is good.

I usually sponge mine down but have put them in washing machine once or twice when really muddy but I think they lose their water repellent if you did that a lot.

I suppy them and keep them here that way I can go out whenever I feel like it without having to worry whether parents have remembered wet gear. I also have wellies here. :thumbsup:

kel1983
25-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I bought some off ebay. They came in really handy on wednesday when we took a trip to the local lake to feed the ducks in the rain.

Twinkles
25-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I have all-in-one rainsuits that I supply ( that way I know they are always there when I need them ).

Sorry can't remember the make but they were about £9 from ebay.

And OH YES they go in the washing machine on a very regular basis.

I'm just wondering whether to invest in some adult size ones now :idea:

Monkey26
25-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I have all in ones, i purchased them myself as got sick of parents not sending them despite regular reminders :rolleyes: Mine are from: http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/regatta-puddle-suit-ii-p-kw974-c-laser-blue.html but they have gone up in price since i got my last lot, i paid £12.99 each! HTH xx

mum26
26-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks, think I will get some, at least we can go out whatever the weather then.

TheBTeam
26-02-2011, 09:08 AM
One child i look after has two sets of all in ones, so mum offered to leave one here, but for the others i provide waterproof over trousers and have a couple of spare waterproof jackets if needed, I have only done this since having my dogs which mean we spend more time in muddy places though so i felt that it was my change so i ought to help protect the kids.

I paid about £4 a pair whilst i was ordering all of our wet weather dog walking gear, I bought a standard stock of 3/4 year old ones as they fit the smaller ones cos they have a button bottom and the bigger ones even if a bit short in their wellies.

georgie456
26-02-2011, 12:20 PM
One parent provides an all in one waterproof - she brings it on a Monday and takes it home on a Friday. The others don't bring them but I have bought loads of different sizes from ebay (all Regatta ones)
I wash them on a cold wash in the machine.

manjay
26-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a few different makes. They all stay here as we use them most days so not practical for parents to take them home, clean them and get them back for the next day. I put mine in the washing machine and about once a month they get washed with waterproofing solution. The same kind we use when washing our own wet weather gear.

One of the best investments I have made for my business:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
26-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I got some waterproof trousers and jacket from freegle :thumbsup:

might put a wanted ad on for more:)

mushpea
26-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I ask the parents to send them because not only can i not afford to buy 10 different sizes of rain coats but I dont have anywhere to store them,, you wouldnt expect a school to supply and store kids raincoats,
parents dont always send stuff but we still go out places,,, we went for a lovley walk in the woods the other day and despite me giving the parents a weeks written notice that the child needed wellies and me telling them the day before the child still came in trainers,,, hence a extremely muddy child and a very shocked mum on pick up time,,

manjay
26-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I ask the parents to send them because not only can i not afford to buy 10 different sizes of rain coats but I dont have anywhere to store them,, you wouldnt expect a school to supply and store kids raincoats,
parents dont always send stuff but we still go out places,,, we went for a lovley walk in the woods the other day and despite me giving the parents a weeks written notice that the child needed wellies and me telling them the day before the child still came in trainers,,, hence a extremely muddy child and a very shocked mum on pick up time,,

I completely understand! However for me I am talking about the pre schoolers so I would only usually have 3 at a time. If I provide them it puts me in control of what we do each day and as I now strive to spend at least 50% of the day outside getting muddy it works for my setting. I certainly wouldn't be buying waterproofs for all the after schoolers I have.

mushpea
26-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I completely understand! However for me I am talking about the pre schoolers so I would only usually have 3 at a time. If I provide them it puts me in control of what we do each day and as I now strive to spend at least 50% of the day outside getting muddy it works for my setting. I certainly wouldn't be buying waterproofs for all the after schoolers I have.

I know what you mean but I have 6 preschoolers and fail to see why their parents cant provide them and if parents choose not to send them then the child just gets muddy.
I did used to keep spares of anything and everything but it just overtook my home and i got fedup with it so i got tough and told parents to provide or have a messy child. they all have spare cloths so i just change them afterwards

manjay
27-02-2011, 01:28 PM
I know what you mean but I have 6 preschoolers and fail to see why their parents cant provide them and if parents choose not to send them then the child just gets muddy.
I did used to keep spares of anything and everything but it just overtook my home and i got fedup with it so i got tough and told parents to provide or have a messy child. they all have spare cloths so i just change them afterwards

and that's fine if it works for you. We all work in different ways. We spend a lot of time scrabbling around on the floor in the woods which wouldn't work for me if the children just had normal trousers on. We would just end up having to go home early because the children were wet.

I have just completed a research project for my degree on using the natural environment for outdoor play and one of the main points that came out of it was the way in which parents loved that I provided the outdoor gear.

As I say we are all different and we all have different USP's. This I think is one of mine.

The Juggler
28-02-2011, 05:44 PM
i have several in different age ranges. my parents are good with old clothes/changes of clothes but still the garden is a total mudbath in the windter. i have the regatta ones and when it's really cold I just put their big coats on over the top.:thumbsup:

i paid around £14/each for them on waterproofworld.co.uk. I only have 3 - 2 in up to 2/3years and one in 3/4.

someone posted a link to a new site the other day where they were 11.99.:thumbsup:

justdaz
28-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I have several sets of differing sizes I have purchased myself. Some from a camping shop that was closing down and others from Lidl/Aldi when they have offers on. Most are regatta.

I also have a number of snow suit salopettes and jackets that came from Lidl at approx £10 a set, fantastic value. i also have a shed full of wellies of varying sizes. parents donate as their little ones grow.