PDA

View Full Version : At the farm in the pouring rain!

Polly2
25-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Had a great day today! We nearly didn't go to the farm as the weather was awful but I just dressed them all up in waterproofs and went anyway!

My son enjoyed it the most - he got to make fire with flint and carve wood using real tools :clapping: . We all made butter and held rabbits and guinea pigs and baby chicks (saw some inside their eggs too with a torch thingy)

There was candle making and welsh stories in a teepee also :clapping:

We finished up with a tractor ride and feeding all the big animals.

Loving my job today :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
25-02-2011, 04:52 PM
sounds like you had a great time despite the weather - sometimes it keeps people away and places are not so crowded if you brave it!

manjay
25-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Remember there is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing;) Sounds like you had a fab day! Right up my street. Shame I am not a little closer

georgie456
25-02-2011, 04:57 PM
The best thing about going to places like that in the pouring rain, is that they are so much quieter!!! Everyone else is hiding out at a soft play somewhere having a miserable time!!!
We went on a mammoth winter walk earlier this week in the pouring rain - the kids had SO much and were quite literally covered from head to toe in mud - thank goodness for all in one waterproofs is all I can say!

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:03 PM
The best thing about going to places like that in the pouring rain, is that they are so much quieter!!! Everyone else is hiding out at a soft play somewhere having a miserable time!!!
We went on a mammoth winter walk earlier this week in the pouring rain - the kids had SO much and were quite literally covered from head to toe in mud - thank goodness for all in one waterproofs is all I can say!

Soo true! it was lovely and quiet, all the children had a chick each and we could take our time doing whatever! it really was fab :clapping:

I have asked local cm's loads if they wanna come but they would all rather sit in soft play so boring!!

the kids clothes weren't muddy at all - waterproofs did their job!

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Remember there is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing;) Sounds like you had a fab day! Right up my street. Shame I am not a little closer

You would have loved it hun - and I would have loved the company! They also had loads of different animal skins you could touch that the children had to guess who they belonged to. The squirel's still had a tail attached :eek: reminded me of that module we did last year!

manjay
25-02-2011, 05:08 PM
You would have loved it hun - and I would have loved the company! They also had loads of different animal skins you could touch that the children had to guess who they belonged to. The squirel's still had a tail attached :eek: reminded me of that module we did last year!

Had enough of animals today! One of our rabbits did a wee on one of the mindees:rolleyes:

aly
25-02-2011, 05:10 PM
which one did you go to?

hopefully we will be getting chicks soo, got my coop, and my incubator will be picked up next week, need to source the best place for chick eggs now.

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Cwmbran community farm.

I looked into getting eggs last year but it was quite expensive.

aly
25-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Cwmbran community farm.

I looked into getting eggs last year but it was quite expensive.
i found a company online that hires incubators for £35 and then the brooder for £15 {if together} but it was only a 3 egg one {they had more, bigger but more expensive} they even buy the chicks back if you dont want to keep them....but they advise as there is not a 100% hatch rate they advise to get a few eggs , the more the better chance etc,....but there is a local farm [cwm] that wil do everything for me brooder {10 egg} incubator and all the chick stuff, feeder and drinker etc fror £140...but then everythign is mine...so i might hire my incubator out...;) if you're interested.. im doing ours for the easter theme

aly
25-02-2011, 05:17 PM
whats the farm like?..not been to cwmbran one.

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:20 PM
So are you going to keep the chickens then? Trouble is I wouldn't want to give them away if I had watched them hatch :o I'm a bit soft like that!! I love my animals!!

We used to have bantum hens when we lived out in the wilds. Had one hen that sat on about 16 eggs!! she was amazing.

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:23 PM
whats the farm like?..not been to cwmbran one.

Its quite small really - but they have just had a bit of a cash injection I think and expanded a bit. I always go in the holidays as there are extra things laid on. Term time its really basic. http://www.greenmeadowcommunityfarm.org.uk/

We have just adopted tessa the tortoise you can see her on the home page!

aly
25-02-2011, 05:47 PM
will look at that link in a mo.

yeah we are hoping to keep 2 chicks, cant have anymore really as its a smallish coop, we will extend but think for now to get established with them just the 2.

x

Polly2
25-02-2011, 05:54 PM
will look at that link in a mo.

yeah we are hoping to keep 2 chicks, cant have anymore really as its a smallish coop, we will extend but think for now to get established with them just the 2.

x

Fab! Hey if you ever nearby and fancy meeting up - maybe in school hols? Give us a shout!

aly
25-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Fab! Hey if you ever nearby and fancy meeting up - maybe in school hols? Give us a shout!
:thumbsup: will do hun
x