PDA

View Full Version : Business Name - conflict?

webbthomas
24-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm in the process of deciding on a name for my childminding business and am 99% sure I've chosen the right one :D On reviewing the internet and various childminding sites, there is only one person with the same name as the one I am proposing; they are based in Essex and I am in Cardiff. This person does not appear to have any website and I would be setting one up as soon as I am registered [fingers crossed].
Could anyone advise whether there it is OK to have the same name childminding business as someone else, across the other side of the country, or is it better to contact them stating my intentions / requesting whether they have any objection?
Would be interested in your views - thanks so much.

claireLouise
24-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I would not say it was an issue but grab the domain name before the other childminder does! The name I wanted to use got taken the day after I looked at buying it, still want to scream, have never got around to settling up a website with a different name!

mama2three
25-02-2011, 09:21 AM
there is one other minder on the forum with the same business name as me - my friend has the same name as a minder in the next village! We dont have any rights as such over the name so I would go ahead!
Just being nosy now , what name have you chosen?

manjay
25-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I think it is quite difficult to choose an original name unless it is personal to you by maybe using your name or your town. I wouldn't choose the same name as someone very close but one in a completely different country would be fine. Also when deciding make sure the domain name is free if you want a website. Most of the popular ones will have already gone.

Go on let us know what you have decided on:D