PDA

View Full Version : big mistake!!

Ava's Nana
24-02-2011, 09:03 PM
ok...i took on 2 siblings about a year ago for 2 hrs after school mon-fri, the school is 7miles away from me so as you can imagine its costing me a fair bit in petrol, i had no other mindees at the time which is why i agreed to the distance id be travelling each day, and their the only children i collect from this school, come sept i'll only be collecting the youngest as the other one will be starting senior school. i charge £4per child per hour (no discounts).
during school hoildays i also have the older sibling, i have all 3 for 7hrs and 15mins each day, mon-fri and charge the same £4 per child per hour BUT I'VE NEVER CHARGED A THING FOR THE ELDEST CHILD..i now realise i've made a huge mistake by doing this as im loosing over £100 per week i also have no spare seats in my car so i cant take on any more children as i dont have the room. i really need to inform mum that i need to start charging for the eldest child as i really do need the money...do you think i can do this and can you offer any advice on how to go about it (mum is a single parent and gets no help with childcare costs from tax credits but is on a very good wage)?? :ohdear:

sarah707
24-02-2011, 09:48 PM
The professional way to do it is to call mum in for a contract and fee review.

Say you have considered your fees in view of what other local childminders cost and due to inflation / the recent rise in general costs.

Explain that these are your new fees and give whatever notice period is written in your contract for the change to take effect.

The only thing you might need to consider - if mum can't afford it she might take the children elsewhere.

I hope this helps :D

The Juggler
24-02-2011, 09:56 PM
i would probalby get her in for a review as Sarah says. point out to her that you have never charged for the older child saving her/costing you £100/week.

At this point in time you really need to be able to take on another child but can't due to car spaces. Tell her you are giving her the option of paying for the space from here in or having alternative arrangements for her older child.

Can I ask why you have never charged for the older child??

miffy
24-02-2011, 09:58 PM
As you have no contract in place for the eldest child you don't need to give any notice but you will need to speak to mum and sort out a contract with her.

For the other two children you will need to give whatever notice period is on the contract before you can increase fees or vary the terms and conditions.

If she is paying childcare costs for all three children she may be entitled to help from tax credits so worth looking into again.

Miffy xx

Ava's Nana
24-02-2011, 10:07 PM
thank you both for ur advice. my daughter used to babysit for this lady a couple of evenings a week which is how i met her, she was complaining alot about the price she was paying for childcare, she had to pay full price for her cm 6 wks hols plus pay another childminder to have the children when cm was away,i dont charge for my hols and i only really tend to have 2 wks a year. im only 7 miles up the road but childcares about £1 per hour cheaper here then where shes lives, the reason i never charged in the first place was i was trying to help her out as i felt sorry for her, but ive since realised that she is soooo much better off then she lets on,where as im really loosing out, i really cant see many other cm doing it for nothing...think im the only stupid one lol.
thanks again :D

Ava's Nana
24-02-2011, 10:11 PM
i did suggest she trys tax credits again...she says she has and is not entitled to anything! but to be honest im not sure if this is really true and i do wonder if she does really get help but just wont say, suppose its none of my business..

claireLouise
24-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Stand your ground ask for a contract and fee review (in Scotland the Care Commission expect me to do this every 6 months as normal practice) and start charging but be prepared to lose the business and I would recommend that you start giving a discount for siblings.

Hope this helps.

Penny1959
25-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Agree with others - contract review needed.

One point I would like to make - Is the oldest child covered by your insurance if you do not charge and do not have a contract?

Penny :)

caz3007
25-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I certainly wouldnt be doing it for free, possibly think about charging her £10 per hour for all 3 or something like that. Is the eldest of an age where she could consider leaving them home alone, cos she may decide to go down that route.

Like you say she would be hard pushed to get one child free elsewhere, so hopefully you can both come to an agreement that you are both happy with