View Full Version : absent corpus callosum

24-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I have had an enquiry for a full time baby space, baby is only 9 weeks just now, but care not needed till August. Baby still having test as this was picked up on scan along with a few other problems.

Does anyone have any experience of this ? Mum says baby will have special needs, but as yet they don't know how severe.

Would this be managable along with 2 other full timers aged 21 months and nearly 3?

24-02-2011, 08:41 PM
a quick google tells me that it's impossible to tell, as there are differing levels of severity. It will certainly mean that you will need to work with a multidisciplinary team - portage, speech and language, physio, neuro etc.

Although you cant charge a higher rate because the child is disabled you will need to think about the extra charges involved.

So, to conclude - yes, it's perfectly possible; with support.

Good luck :)

24-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Deb, I googled too, and I think that scared me more, especially about the seizures and what to do with the other lo's if there were frequent seizures, poor Mum is having a tough time x

24-02-2011, 09:15 PM
i guess it would depend on the severity of the childs needs,,, if you could only have the one child then I dont see why you cant charge a higher rate??
I had a child with cerbal paulsy ,,I didnt charge extra and had his brotherr plus a schoolie, as he got older it was clear that he was affected mentaly as well as pysicaly and would need one to one care so therefore had he stayed with me i would have charged extra to relfect this as it happend his parents had a change of circmstances and he left me, i was gutted at the time as i had put so much of my time and energy in to him and seen him change so much for the better,,,i did have lots of contact with his physios , and carried out what they asked of me and I made sure he was able to join in everything the others did,, it was lovley to see him join in and enjoy himself,,
anyway think hard before taking the child on as to wether you can commit yourself to the leval of care the child would require.