PDA

View Full Version : environmental health visit!

TinyTinker
24-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Just had mine! He pointed out a few things I need to change, but had no idea they were wrong! lol.

I need to remove my plants out of the kitchen and not have the recycling boxes in there and can't have anything on the surfaces (like tea bag and coffee and sugar jars etc).

He also pointed out my extractor fan needing cleaning:blush: and said can you see those finger prints on the door of this cupboard (could only see them when you tilted a certain way in the light:rolleyes:

So my kitchen is to be cleared of all plants and a bit more cleaning needed up high! oopsey!

He said he can imagine it's hard not to have things out as it is a very small kitchen.

Felt a bit bad having someone come in and poke holes in my kitchen, but hey I guess it has to be done:D

mama2three
24-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Good job I never had the same inspector as you - sounds like a bit of a jobsworth! Mine hardly looked in the kitchen at all , was much more interested in whether I was following the guidance in safer food better business!

suzyjane73
24-02-2011, 03:33 PM
What's this??? Do environmental health come and look around your house too? No one's ever mentioned this to me??

sarah32
24-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Just had mine! He pointed out a few things I need to change, but had no idea they were wrong! lol.

I need to remove my plants out of the kitchen and not have the recycling boxes in there and can't have anything on the surfaces (like tea bag and coffee and sugar jars etc).

He also pointed out my extractor fan needing cleaning:blush: and said can you see those finger prints on the door of this cupboard (could only see them when you tilted a certain way in the light:rolleyes:

So my kitchen is to be cleared of all plants and a bit more cleaning needed up high! oopsey!

He said he can imagine it's hard not to have things out as it is a very small kitchen.

Felt a bit bad having someone come in and poke holes in my kitchen, but hey I guess it has to be done:D

Oh well, the inspector isnt going to like my kitchen then, the window ledge is full of plants and I have jars of all sorts on the side and im not changing a thing:laughing:

mrsmaggy
24-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Oh well, the inspector isnt going to like my kitchen then, the window ledge is full of plants and I have jars of all sorts on the side and im not changing a thing:laughing:

Same here with the jars...we live in a house not factory and will not change my home for NO ONE!! :D

rickysmiths
24-02-2011, 04:17 PM
What's this??? Do environmental health come and look around your house too? No one's ever mentioned this to me??

You have to Register with your councils Environmental Health Dept as a Food Premesis They are then permitted to do an inspection of your 'Food Premesis', your home.

You can order this publication free from the Food Standards Agency, it is the one we are all recommended to have.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

rickysmiths
24-02-2011, 04:19 PM

What a nutcase. No way i'm clearing all my surfaces or my plants. My potatoes are chitting on my kitchen window sil :eek:

TinyTinker
24-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I have a month to put the changes in place he requested and then he's going to re-visit unannounced!:eek:

I thought he was a bit thorough too, but hey as he reminded me it is no longer my personal kitchen if I am providing food to mindees it's a food business and should be treated like one:o

My kitchen doesn't look quite the same without my plants:(

oh and the best one was, he said I couldn't dry the kids paint brushes on the window sill and my door bell not working and the leaves in the outside flower bed made a bad first impression for my customers:angry: get him!

My 'customers' can't be that worried cos I'm full:thumbsup:

sarah707
24-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Plants in the kitchen is a biggie because of the potential for soil contamination.

Now we are registered as a food business it's one of the things they pick up on a lot.

Having things out on surfaces is usually ok so long as you don't prepare food on the surface they are on...

So you could have a tea making surface and a food prep surface... otherwise there's potential for cross contamination.

He had absolutely no right to comment on the front of your house! I would speak up about that next time he comes.

Hugs x

nic t
24-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Out of interest do they normally give you warning before they come?

What a cheeky so and so commenting on the outside of your house. :mad:

Deb
24-02-2011, 07:51 PM
We dont have an inspector in post at the moment. which is nice. There are 700 minders in my city, and only 2 have ever been inspected I'd like to keep it that way.

wendywu
24-02-2011, 08:29 PM
[
oh and the best one was, he said I couldn't dry the kids paint brushes on the window sill and my door bell not working and the leaves in the outside flower bed made a bad first impression for my customers:angry: get him!

My 'customers' can't be that worried cos I'm full:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Cheeky ******,:angry:

rickysmiths
24-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Plants in the kitchen is a biggie because of the potential for soil contamination.

Now we are registered as a food business it's one of the things they pick up on a lot.

Having things out on surfaces is usually ok so long as you don't prepare food on the surface they are on...

So you could have a tea making surface and a food prep surface... otherwise there's potential for cross contamination.

He had absolutely no right to comment on the front of your house! I would speak up about that next time he comes.

Hugs x

I'm sorry but you may be right Sarah but this is my home not an institution a restaurant or hotel catering for hundreds and I would have a massive issue with an inspector like this one.

Im lucky I have a brand new, very large kitchen, playmate will tell you, but I am sitting here looking at a Bread Bin, a metal basket of cutlery, a fruit bowl, a wooden knife block, a salt pig, a tall pepper mill, my chopping boards all, my Microwave, housed along 30' of work surface.

Oh no now there is a carrier bag of bread, a mobile, a sheet of paper, a bunch of keys and an old recipe book :eek:

I have a small plant by my Hob and 3 plants, 2 pots of bulbs and parsley on my only window sil above my sink and no where near any food prep areas.

If he is so picky then he should be advising no washing machine in the kitchen because of the cross contamination of dirty clothes and we should all have two sinks, one for hand washing only.

If you have no utility room, I am now lucky enough to have one where I have a sink and my washing machine is in it, but if you don't and dont have a downstair loo, where does he expect paint brushes to be washed and dried?

I can see cms trailling upstairs to the bathroom :rolleyes: The key is to keep everything throughly clean and if you have to clean paint brushes in the kitchen sink, heaven forbid :rolleyes: you make sure it is clean before you peel the potatoes for lunch.

What about B&Bs then? We have stayed in many a small one when we have had breakfast at a table in the kitchen, with the dog and cat sitting at our feet, muddy wellies by the door and all manner of clutter on the work surfaces. We have had fab breakfasts and never had food poisoning.
I was told when I reg with our local EH that CMs were in the same Low Risk Cat as B & Bs.

I think this inspector was/is a jobs worth and I would be telling him a few home truths. I would keep him waiting on the doorstep when he returns and apologise about having to change a nappy! i thought they had to make an appointment to visit cms? Thats what out EH Officer told us.

sarah707
24-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Ricky I totally agree with you on this one.

However EHOs do have the power to shut childminders down if they do not comply with their requirements :(

I was under the impression (many moons ago now) that the NCMA were trying to lobby to get all childminders treated the same way so that there was a universal check in place... and that ended up as the booklet 'Safer Food Better Business for Childminders'.

Perhaps their remit should be stretched to include supporting childminders like Bluehouse?

:D

TheBTeam
24-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I can see cms trailling upstairs to the bathroom :rolleyes: The key is to keep everything throughly clean and if you have to clean paint brushes in the kitchen sink, heaven forbid :rolleyes: you make sure it is clean before you peel the potatoes for lunch.

This made me laugh cos some of the children we have had would not eat the potatoes but love to eat the paint, so they would be more worried about the potatoes contaminating the paint!!!!!!!!!!!

rickysmiths
24-02-2011, 09:35 PM
This made me laugh cos some of the children we have had would not eat the potatoes but love to eat the paint, so they would be more worried about the potatoes contaminating the paint!!!!!!!!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rickysmiths
24-02-2011, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=sarah707;878259]Ricky I totally agree with you on this one.

However EHOs do have the power to shut childminders down if they do not comply with their requirements :(

I was under the impression (many moons ago now) that the NCMA were trying to lobby to get all childminders treated the same way so that there was a universal check in place... and that ended up as the booklet 'Safer Food Better Business for Childminders'.

Perhaps their remit should be stretched to include supporting childminders like Bluehouse?

Maybe, because it does sound as if he has gone a step too far. They surely have to prove beyond doubt that there is a genuine cause for concern/danger to mindees to close you down, in my experience you have to be pretty dire for that to happen.

In BlueHouses shoes I would be asking for a different inspector to give a second opinion.

miffy
24-02-2011, 09:53 PM
This thread is enough to put anyone off registering with Environmental Health - I thought they were supposed to make allowances for the fact that it is our home they are inspecting not a food premises!

Sorry Bluehouse but your EHO sounds like a right pain in the proverbial - what a shame he's coming back!

Miffy xx

TinyTinker
25-02-2011, 08:08 AM
^ have to agree!

We felt quite insulted after the visit! :angry:

rickysmiths
25-02-2011, 03:52 PM
^ have to agree!

We felt quite insulted after the visit! :angry:

I'm not surprised I would have told him what for :laughing: I worked in the catering indusrty for years. Most good cms homes are such a low risk they are off the bottom of the scale.

In our area our Chief EHO nearly wet himself when he was forced to Register all cms. There are nearly 1800 in Herts and the EHOs weren't given any more staff. The result is that they along with most authorities will never visit all cms. Two years ago when we had to register they did 4 inspections in our town out of 50-60 cms and as far as our group know no one have been done since.

The reality is they have much more to have concerns about than the cms believe me, I have worked with EHOs and it is horrifying what you see. I can't believe any cms kitchen would be anything like as bad. We wouldn't get past Ofsted :thumbsup:

I would phone and speak to the inspectors boss and question the unanounced follow up visit that he has threatened , the whole tone of the inspection, the carping comments on the outside of the house which are not in his remit and non of his business .This guy was way out of order and was rude to you in your home. They are not supposed to do this to us. anyone r
Unless there was a complaint and a very serious cause for concern or an out break of Food Poisoning reported. I would insist on an appointment if there is really a need for a second visit and a different inspector as the original inspector is not welcome in your HOME.

That you have no trust in the man at all and because he was so rude you, can't risk him bumping into one of your parents and giving them unnecessary cause for concern or him being rude to them because it could lose you business.

Unlike a commercial organisation like a nursery, you are not at home all the time. If they turn up unannounced and you are not there he is wasting Tax Payers money.

Rmead
25-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Wow I didn't think you weren't allowed things on your worktops, that's ridiculous and plants, so no herbs?! I'll be leaving everything out to see what the Env Health people are like here! Can't believe how cheeky he was about non-food things either!

babs
25-02-2011, 09:11 PM

I need to remove my plants out of the kitchen and not have the recycling boxes in there and can't have anything on the surfaces (like tea bag and coffee and sugar jars etc).He also pointed out my extractor fan needing cleaning:blush: and said can you see those finger prints on the door of this cupboard (could only see them when you tilted a certain way in the light:rolleyes:

you got to hide your kettle ,toaster, microwave, bread bin, coffee maker too. im sorry but i would of shoved his paper work where the sun dont shine and put him out my front door.... end of .... its my house. i dont mind them coming in and saying dont put raw meat over veg in fridge etc. but that is over the top.

i went to our local council for a training course filled out a pack and they went though a few things with us and said they would pick a few of us off to inspect but not to worry as it was just routine some ppl asked if we had to move anything and they said no its your home and treat it that way as long as you use your common sense things will be ok...

onceinabluemoon
25-02-2011, 09:50 PM
That's absolutely ridiculous!

I would ring his boss and ask for another inspector to do the follow up too, tell them how much it has upset you.

I even had our dogs water bowl in the kitchen when the inspector called (without warning) and he mentioned it but merely said don't feed the dog in the kitchen while you're cooking for the children.

He didn't say anything about the coffee machine, kettle, coffee and sugar, mug tree etc that were on the units either...

jojos2011
26-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi

oh dear better move my plants and coffee tea sugar containers the things we do for the roleof minding little ones but that why i do xxx

PixiePetal
26-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I can't believe some of these things - my surfaces have things on them, it's hard enough to get DH to move his work tools etc:rolleyes: and the dogs are fed in the kitchen - after mindees leave. One dog has her crate in there too - nowhere else to put her - kitchen is quite large and it is in a corner

My surfaces are cleaned and fridge is checked etc

wendywu
26-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Im sorry but he would have to make an appointment if he wanted to come again.

But as Ricky Smiths said phone and kick up stink about his treatment of you.

And i agree that they would have to have a very strong reason to close you down. So my tea and coffee pots are staying put :angry:

I have not even registered yet and if this is the way it is going i may not. :panic:

manjay
26-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't think they have to make an appointment! they may make one as they realise we may not always be in. My inspection was unannounced and was extremely thorough however she made no mention of things on my worksurface. If she had made reference to the leaves at the front of my house I would have given her a broom to sweep them up:D

rickysmiths
26-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Im sorry but he would have to make an appointment if he wanted to come again.

But as Ricky Smiths said phone and kick up stink about his treatment of you.

And i agree that they would have to have a very strong reason to close you down. So my tea and coffee pots are staying put :angry:

I have not even registered yet and if this is the way it is going i may not. :panic:

I think you have to now. It became law about 2 years ago because of some European directive.

munch149
26-02-2011, 08:27 PM
I had them call me and said they don't send them out to childminders anymore?

wendywu
26-02-2011, 09:03 PM
[
QUOTE=rickysmiths;879386]I think you have to now. It became law about 2 years ago because of some European directive.[/QUOTE]

Yes i know, i did try to do it through your link but it would not let the email send.

So i guess i will have to phone them up. They better not be as stroppy in Surrey though as they were with Bluehouse :angry:

rickysmiths
27-02-2011, 01:18 AM
[

Yes i know, i did try to do it through your link but it would not let the email send.

So i guess i will have to phone them up. They better not be as stroppy in Surrey though as they were with Bluehouse :angry:[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the like to the Food Standards Agency? That was to get the Folder 'Better Food Better business for Childminders. The register you need to ring your own Local Council and ask to be put through to the Environmental Health Officers. They will probably ask some questions and send you a simple form to fill in.

:thumbsup: Someone in Surrey will know better what format any inspections take in your area. They have been very few and far between here, only 4 in 2 years! They were very simple and the inspectors who visited the cms didn't even go into the kitchens of two of them. They asked some questions, gave them the Better Food Folder and ran through some of the things they expected them to do. Apprently they were very nice.

Penny1959
27-02-2011, 02:59 AM
When my daughter had a EHO visit a bit like the one Bluehouse had - and I had one that was hardly an inspection at all - totally different requirements it would seem - so a bit like ofsted / prospect inspectors with own views - she plucked up courage to complain to EH about her inspection and ask for clarification as to which EHO officer (hers or mine) was right.

Eventually she got a reply and it appears that if you follow safer food better business then EH will be happy (and SFBB - does not mention moving things off work surfaces or most of the other things mentioned by posters that their EHO has insisted on)

So Bluehouse IF these actions have been put in writing - complain - nicely by asking for clarification. If they are not in writing then they are only advice not actions - so you can chose if you want to take the advice or not.

Penny :)

PS my daughter did have actions and these were removed after her letter of 'clarification'

Newbie1!
27-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I sent my forms to EH months ago and never heard anything back - could this be the case that they maybe arent going to inspect me then or do you think I should be chasing? Dont want to open a can of worms :laughing: :laughing:

christine e
27-02-2011, 08:41 AM
I sent my forms to EH months ago and never heard anything back - could this be the case that they maybe arent going to inspect me then or do you think I should be chasing? Dont want to open a can of worms :laughing: :laughing:

I would have a chat with other childminders in your area as it seems that all areas are different. Here we filled in a form, had a telephone interview and then recieved a letter to say that we had registered with them. See what the childminders in your area say and chase up if you think you need to but I do think you should have something on file to confirm that you are registered with them. If you don't know any childminders that you can speak to then how about having a chat with your Dev worker as they should know.

Cx

madwoman
04-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi hun, i have registered with 'safer food better business' but they just sent me out a list of questions, which i filled in and sent back, and have not heard anything else from them. I think i will give them a ring next week just to check all is well, thanx for the reminder :thumbsup:

Newbie1!
05-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Hi hun, i have registered with 'safer food better business' but they just sent me out a list of questions, which i filled in and sent back, and have not heard anything else from them. I think i will give them a ring next week just to check all is well, thanx for the reminder :thumbsup:

How did you do this love? I was trying to register with them but all I ever get is information packs, copies of diaries etc but not sure how to actually register? :blush: :blush:

braichey
07-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi, ive just had my development worker round. She had been a childminder and in her current job for 11 years so i assume she knows what shes on about. She mentioned registering as a food business and then said they may try to arrange to inspect your premises as they are told to visit all new businesses. She then went on to say i should REFUSE them entry as its NOT a legal requirement with childminders and i am such a small businesss, then to phone her to report this!! Aslo companies will try to flog me products i need as legal requirements etc but again they can buzz off!!
I dont know if this is the same for all areas but im in birmingham area. You should check this out as i will refuse them and you may be able to also....another headache removed!

braichey
07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I was told by my development worker (today) i am within my rights to refuse him entry and to report to her if they try. :panic: Little confused here now!!

rickysmiths
07-03-2011, 08:00 PM

That is the Folder issued by the Food Standars Agency for us to follow they are not who you register with. You need to ring your local Council and ask to be put through to the local Environmental Health Dept. They will send you a form to fill in and register. They may even give you a copy of the Better Food Safer Business Folder.

rickysmiths
07-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I was told by my development worker (today) i am within my rights to refuse him entry and to report to her if they try. :panic: Little confused here now!!

I wouldn't try it. :eek:

They are absolutely allowed, by law to enter you 'Food Premesis' if they choose to to inspect. If you are on holiday or it is the weekend when you are not working you could ask them to come if they would kindly come back at another time. But ultimately you can not refuse them the right to inspect.

What most areas do though is book an appointment with cms because they realise that we are not 'open' for business the same way as a restaurant or shop.

catlyn
18-03-2011, 10:05 AM
just had mine!!! and after reading some of the horror srories on here I was bricking it....spent all week cleaning and disinfecting, moved loads of stuff upstairs out of sight, cleared the benches...bought an apron :panic: a fridge thermometer, a probe....all things they told me to buy on the food hygeine course I did on saturday. I even spent an afternoon making sure everything was labelled and dated if it had been opened.....guess what!!!
She came in, asked if i had the food standards pack, filled a questionairre in based on the pack, signed a form and went!!! Didnt even look in my kitchen...in fact I didnt even havce to open the kitchen door...what a week of worry for nothing ( I live in Co Durham)

Kezzle
19-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Riddle me this, do you have to register with EH even if you don't plan on providing meals, say i just wanted to offer drinks and possibly snacks although i'm wondering whether parents could provide snacks? hmmm.

Kezzle
19-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Riddle me this, do you have to register with EH even if you don't plan on providing meals, say i just wanted to offer drinks and possibly snacks although i'm wondering whether parents could provide snacks? hmmm.

Its ok i found my answer, not the one i would have liked though :rolleyes:

singingcactus
19-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I was registered with EH in my last home, and I really wish everyones visit could be the same as mine was. She was excellent, she understood that this was a home and the kitchen was multi purpose. She would have offered any help in working out procedures for maintaining the health of the food and the children if she felt there was a need, but she was happy with my procedures.
Having heard so many other horror stories on here I have decided not to register here, I really don't need the hassle of visits, menu planning, food wastage etc, so parents provide everything here. It is working really well - although I really miss being able to cook for the kids, having done it for the last 16 years or so.
Thinking about it though, the removal of plants from the kitchen is a sound consideration - I might well think about moving mine if I can find somewhere else for them. I don't see though, how it can be possible in a small busy kitchen to keep even one side clear, although I can easily see the reason for it.
As for the comments about the 'shop front', maybe he was trying to be helpful and supportive - but I think I'd be wanting to poke him in the eye too.

onceinabluemoon
20-03-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't see though, how it can be possible in a small busy kitchen to keep even one side clear, although I can easily see the reason for it.

I have a tiny kitchen and have the small piece of worktop next to the cooker as my food prep area. It measures 600mm by 600mm. EH were fine with this.

The rest of my worktops have bits and pieces on them and do tend to get cluttered up sometimes (by my teens who think 'put it away' is an alien language and to be avoided at all costs!), which does in all honestly make them difficult to keep spotlessly clean so I can see why they dont want things on the work surfaces.
However as long as you can show a clean and clear food prep area (you could even put a blue tacked label above for EH purposes) that should be sufficient (according to our EH team anyway...)

Rubybubbles
20-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I have reg in Bucks, I phoned and the man said okay, will send you the form. Not likey to come see you, unless you provide all meals as in hot lunchs/evening meals, and that they are going to start inspections on childminders early 2012:)

TBH the form they sent was rubbish, so I had to put my own sheet in with what I did!

You do HAVE to reg though:mad: when bucks CC send out forms they ask if you are reg with EH:(

madcaz
28-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi
Had my inspection friday. After reading the posts, had a good tidy up, was due a spring clean anyway :) Also filled in the file. Had a lady inspector, she was very nice, she stayed about 45mins, she asked to see my fridge thermometer, food probe and anti-bac. Talked more about day to day things. Had a letter today saying everything was good and no recommendations were made. Happy dayz :clapping:. Im sooo glad I didnt have the same person as you, although reading your post made me make sure everything was in its place, thanx :)

rickysmiths
28-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I have reg in Bucks, I phoned and the man said okay, will send you the form. Not likey to come see you, unless you provide all meals as in hot lunchs/evening meals, and that they are going to start inspections on childminders early 2012:)

TBH the form they sent was rubbish, so I had to put my own sheet in with what I did!

You do HAVE to reg though:mad: when bucks CC send out forms they ask if you are reg with EH:(

I have a friend in Bucks, has been a cm for years. The cms have had to be registered with EH for years now and they have always visited cms and already inspect regularly so be ready!

Rubybubbles
28-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a friend in Bucks, has been a cm for years. The cms have had to be registered with EH for years now and they have always visited cms and already inspect regularly so be ready!

nice, thanks for that haha!