PDA

View Full Version : How long can you stay registered for if you havent any mindees?

fieryleo1984
24-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Everyone, hope this isnt a stupid question!! I am so close to getting registered now and paid for my registration with ofsted, firstaid, health dec etc. However talking with my OH we were thinking of ttc for another baby in august time. So my question is how long can you stay registered for if you havent any mindees? If I wait til baby number 2 was born to start minding? I was thinking of delaying my application but I have spent so much money so far.

Thanks for any advice.

Emma

maisiemog
24-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I think it's 2 years but not sure if maternity leave counts in that. I personally wouldn't delay. August is still a few months away, plus it could take a few months to get pregnant, and then you are pregnant for 9mths. You could earn a fair bit of money in that time, as well as getting maternity pay whilst off.

Plus a lot of minders only take a few weeks off so they dont lose many mindees. We're ttc and have been for the whole of my registration process and whilst I've been minding. If we'd put it off I'd still be waiting to start now over 2 years later! Glad I didnt for that reason!

fieryleo1984
24-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Thankyou so much. I think I just worry to much. My partner is worried more that I am! How I would cope with only taking a few weeks mat leave ( last time I took 11 months off as I had additional maternity benefits etc).

x

crazyXstitcher
24-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I would still take on mindees before you ttc, for the reasons maisiemog said. I was alraedy ttc while I was registering. Minding was my back-up plan if ttc didn't work. Fortunately it did and i was pregnant before i finished registering. I still registered anyway and took on a short term (5-6month) contract before going on maternity leave and the money came in very handy as you can imagine.

I also took a long time off, over 2.5 years (I think you can actually go up to 3 years before they cancel your registration - I was getting very close!) before starting again. Ofsted just phone up every few months to see if you are minding yet so they can arrange an inspection if you are.

muffins
24-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Theres no reason why you couldn't just mind part time. When I was on Mat leave the children went CM friends of mine who the children knew through me & the parents where happy with that!

fieryleo1984
24-02-2011, 06:09 PM
thanks again for the replys, i work partime at the moment-3 days a week so wasnt planning on giving up work till I have mindees unless I am made redunadant (I work for local goverment). Im so nervous, its a big decision, I just want to be able to spend time with my daughter and be able to help other people who have to go back to work knowing that there children are being well looked after.
x