PDA

View Full Version : Polystyrene

Bernie
23-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Just having a little panic. I was given the biggest bag of polystyrene 'S's' (the ones that come in boxes for packing). It was so big it filled our living room. The LO's have had the best time with it, making our very own winter wonderland. However I couldn't store it due to the vast amount, so I offered it to the local pre-school and they said they are not allowed it due to health and safety.

Are we not allowed to use it and on what grounds? I have used it for years. Admittedly not to the extent we have done for the past few days, but for crafting and in the tuffspot.

Any ideas?

rickysmiths
23-02-2011, 11:02 PM
You have to be very careful with it because if a lo swallows any it will not show up on an x-ray apparently. I imagine they perhaps could suffocate in it as well because it is plastic. Because its static it sticks to everything I don't like it I must admit.

twise
24-02-2011, 06:13 PM
i was told by an ofsted inspector that this was not allowed due to a child swallowing and choking on them at a nursery.

mama2three
24-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I use it quite a lot too - had ra'd it and am careful with supervision. tend to use the larger blocks that come as packaging to build with , and the smaller ones in the tuffspot with the snow animals. Maybe time to think again.

Deb
24-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Where's this book of 'not allowed' kept?

And, what's a 'tuff spot'?

Sounds like fun to me:)

mama2three
24-02-2011, 07:42 PM
tuff spots are big trays from builders yards , meant for mixing cement etc but great for messy play!
I call 'not allowed' being on the' slapt wrist list!'

Deb
24-02-2011, 07:45 PM
ah! a builder's tray :) Yeah, we got one of those.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

This is funny, for checking the 'slapped wrist list'

Did you know, we arent allowed to give children grapes? I was told that today at a soft play centre.

Chimps Childminding
24-02-2011, 08:16 PM
ah! a builder's tray :) Yeah, we got one of those.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

This is funny, for checking the 'slapped wrist list'

Did you know, we arent allowed to give children grapes? I was told that today at a soft play centre.

One of my mindees absolutely loves grapes and her mum sends them all the time!!! I used to cut them in half when she was little, but she is almost 3 now and eats really well, so I'm not stopping her having them :angry:

We soon won't be allowed to breathe for fear of inhaling something toxic :D

sweets
24-02-2011, 08:20 PM
[/COLOR]

One of my mindees absolutely loves grapes and her mum sends them all the time!!! I used to cut them in half when she was little, but she is almost 3 now and eats really well, so I'm not stopping her having them :angry:

We soon won't be allowed to breathe for fear of inhaling something toxic :D

i know a child can choke on anything but grapes are the perfect shape to choke on!

a friend of a friends little girl (nearly 3) choked on a grape about 3 years ago and died.

cutting them in half is not enough either, they should be quartered.

SYLVIA
24-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Mine also have grapes, but I always cut in half(large ones in quarters) until they start school. Don't know why I bother though as parents come home, bung child in buggy and give them a bunch of grapes or a whole banana!

Deb
24-02-2011, 08:38 PM
what do we call a large grape?

Bananabrain
24-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I always cut grapes in half, in fact I did it today.
Can someone please explain what the difference is between the possibility of choking on grapes and other foods. Apple or cucumber or carrot for example?
What is this 'book of not allowed' and can I get it from Amazon?:laughing:

sweets
24-02-2011, 08:54 PM
grapes are rounded and can slip easily to the back of the throat, they are also very slippy when wet. they are just the perfect shape to block a windpipe.

my mindees love them but i always quarter them as even with cutting them in half the end of them remains the same shape.