PDA

View Full Version : A reminder about facebook

sillysausage
23-02-2011, 08:59 PM
One of my parents was chatting about facebook today. She said that she was really glad that I never make any comments about childminding other than the occasional 'what a fab day I'd had'.
She was telling me that her husband was horrified when one of their facebook friends (who is a childminder) had posted comments about what a horrid day they'd had, children being awful and weren't parents ungrateful so and so's (and a few other choice things too apparently). She observed that because 'it's a small world' and we often share friends/work colleagues without knowing it (cos we're not facebook friends with everyone we know), and it would be very easy for such comments to get back to the people about which they were made IYSWIM. And whilst many parents would not mind their childminder telling them to their face, that their children had been right proper pains etc, they might not want the rest of the world to know. Unfortunately because we know our friends, it is often easy to work out which children or parents negative comments might refer to and this could result in, at worst, a breach of confidentiality.

The parent also said that they had considered sending their child to this childminder but in light of the comments the childminder often made on facebook, from a professional point of view, they were glad they'd chosen me instead.

Add to this the fact that many people have pretty low security on their facebook accounts, allowing friends of friends etc to view things it can mean that negative comments can have a much wider audience than they were initially intended.

So please people please be careful what you post on facebook...it may impact on peoples' professional opinion of you, which could in turn impact on word of mouth recommendations.

nic t
23-02-2011, 09:07 PM
As much as I sometimes want a rant I would never put anything about my childminding on there!

You are right, you never know who will see it and it is unprofessional, imo.

jamiebec2000
23-02-2011, 09:08 PM
my husband thinks facebook is the route of all evil, and hates it, but it doesnt stop him from being nosey on my friends and our families status :laughing:

I tend to only post jokes or play the really addictive farm games :blush:

Some peoples comments are best kept to themselves

Becky

fiona
23-02-2011, 09:20 PM
my status today was.... i am in here under the eyfs folders... please send chocolate and coffee!! this is as much as a childminding thing i would do, i know a few childminders in my area who post photo's of the children in their care:eek: i would leave this to a parent even though i have permission forms i would never dream of doing this!!!!! i am friends with all my parents on FB and this is their request! we do private message as well as e-mail but we encript everything! maybe a little over the top but thats me!!!!

sweets
23-02-2011, 09:28 PM
i rarely write anything about childminding on fb, if i do then its never negative things and i wont be friends with mindees parents, not until they leave then its a nice way to keep in touch.

what i am having trouble with at the moment is hiding posts of my news feeds! i am friends with quite a few teenagers (children i used to nanny for) but the problem is they often write offensive posts with swearing in. i dont want my adult friends to see these posts but at the moment it wont let me hide them :panic: ive tried hiding posts by clicking on the x in the top right and it says they are hidden but when i refresh the page they are back again, it even does it if i click hide all thier posts!

snufflepuff
23-02-2011, 09:32 PM
The most I write is things like 'ahh lovely, all three children asleep, time for a tea break'

I once had a parent go crazy because i'd made a comment that she very wrongly thought was about her child. Totally her insecurity but made me think twice about what I write as people can easily read things, even the most innocent things, in the wrong way.

TheBTeam
23-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Me too I dont really write anything childminding related on it.

Mookins
23-02-2011, 09:41 PM
my husband thinks facebook is the route of all evil, and hates it, but it doesnt stop him from being nosey on my friends and our families status :laughing:

Becky

same as my hubby...

if i do say anything about minding its usually what weve been doing or how fab the day has been never anything negative fo the hope of getting more business

if i have anything negative i come here for a moan bu teven then its not very often...thank goodness

xx

MaryMary
23-02-2011, 10:31 PM

Becky

It must be a man thing! :rolleyes: My hubby hates it too!
I go on facebook so I can see what my kids are up too :D It is sometimes easier to contact the 15 yo on chat than to try and shout over her music :laughing: My eldest is at uni now, so I can see what she is up to (sometimes wish I didn't! :eek: ) :laughing:

I never post anything too personal, and try to get my kids not to aswell - easier said than done. I am addicted to 'Bejewelled Blitz' :blush:

Happy Bunny
24-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I love facebook but i wouldn't dream of putting anything on there to do with childminding.
One of my old mindees parent is on my friends but i never put any photo's comments or anything about the kids or my day.
I think the only comment i ever put on there was "i am surrounded by paperwork need coffee lol lol"

xdirtydancerx
24-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Apart from my business page which advertises my childminding and what we're doing (topics, not what we're actually doing lol) I never write about anything childminding related on my actual facebook page. In fact, more recently I can't even be bothered to update my status :rolleyes:

marnieb
24-02-2011, 07:42 AM
My OH hates it too!!!!

But, I never, ever post anything about cming on there, and I wouldn't be facebook friends with any of my parents, cos frankly, I dont want to know what they get up to on their days off, and I dont want them knowing my business either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hebs
24-02-2011, 07:43 AM
i never write anything negative about the children, normally moans about doing accounts/paperwork or what a fab days we've had

i DO post pics of the children on fb, i have an album on there thats specifically for the mindees parents who have asked me to post the pics so they can show family, parents are tagged in the photos and Ofsted were totally fine with it
I do have 2 sets of parents who dont want their kids photos posted so even the ones with their kids in the background DONT get posted, i show them the photos online so they know their children are not in them and they are also perfectly happy with this.

i also have a fb page for my business :thumbsup:

caz3007
24-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I dont post about minding except nice stuff. Personally I dont want everyone to know I am a childminder, those that know are the ones closest to me.

I dont post photos of any children, even friends ones, as I wouldnt want my DS on there without my permission. I do sometimes send pics to one of my mums via blackberry messaging and have said they are for her only and please dont post on FB unless its just her son in it.

christine e
24-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I think people should be really careful when using facebook. I never ever make any reference to any of the children.

One thing that really concerns me about facebook is that often people discuss their holidays and how many sleeps etc until they go off to xyz for so many nights, or that they are off out for the day. Great advert for anyone wanting to break in and steal your wordly goods, as someone commented earlier you just don't know who is friends with who and who is reading what you post.

Cx

auntym
24-02-2011, 08:57 AM
I only post positive things about minding. Only negative things I ever put are about having to get up at 630 and cant wait for a lie in at wk end. Lol. But my parents also put the same on theirs . In general its never anything to do with minding and more about 'going to see chipmunk this week' woo woo lol

Rubybubbles
24-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I agree, I see lots of people moaning (in fairness, I have lots of forum friends on facebook, but never seen anything:thumbsup: ). And have a parent on facbook which make sme laugh as all she does is say, arghhhhh when are the kids going back to E, E lied she said the kids were good ect ect:laughing:

Hubby dislikes facbook, but does have a page to stalk everyone funny enough:rolleyes:

debratina
24-02-2011, 09:18 AM
i have stopped using facebook thanks to another childminder make a nasty comment to me when i was having a bad day.
and to tell you the truth i don't miss it one it.

flowerpots
24-02-2011, 09:24 AM

Becky

so do i:blush: , i havent even got a fb account. :)

Beetlejuice
24-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't be facebook friends with any of my parents, cos frankly, I dont want to know what they get up to on their days off, and I dont want them knowing my business either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave in to one parent who kept sending me requests so I accepted. I am more guarded about what I write but it's worked in my favour as she always posts when her kids are ill and if she didn't post there I wouldn't know!!! A few times she's posted that the kids have been sick/feverish etc and I've messaged her to remind her not to bring them to me the next day :laughing: Otherwise they would get sent to me dosed up on calpol in the hope I wouldn't notice.

I usually say stuff like I'm up to my eyes in paperwork/study etc etc - doesn't hurt to let them know how much work I'm doing when I'm not working lol!! I've only ever posted one picture of a mindee - with the parent's permission - because she wanted to see a pic of him meeting father christmas and share it on her page for family.

mufftie
24-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I never ever post anything on face book I only ever read other peoples status's for exactly that reason , I will onlycommunicate through private messages and my name cannot be searched for as I have it blocked to friends only and non of my parents are my friends , my job is kept private as it just says self employed so only those that know me well know I cm .
I know all too well about people reading others face books as my sister in law who lives on fb and who I can't stand takes great delight in updating me on what my son is doing in the marines before I've been officially told by my lad himself , this seriously pisses me off and I've warned all my children to be careful what they write

maryp0ppins
24-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't even have a facebook account!!

My dd's have & they have one of my mums as a friend & the things she writes about her children is sometimes really awful & to me seems like attention seeking as what she writes is most parents battles (eg Kids driving my mad they've had colds for 2 weeks now & I'm sooooo tired, Fed up with the kids crying wish someone would just whisk me away, Great teething again = more sleepless nights, Fed up with X back chatting me, Hubby off to watch football guess who's left with the kids again etc etc)

It honestly make me feel quite upset as they are excellent kids & she should be proud :thumbsup:

Mrs Pootle
24-02-2011, 03:41 PM
so do i:blush: , i havent even got a fb account. :)

I can't stand fb, I have no inclination to tell the world what I am doing, and I certainly don't want to read anyone elses trivia.
If I have something to say to a friend, I would rather pick up the phone, or have them round for a coffee.:D

georgie456
24-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I can't stand fb, I have no inclination to tell the world what I am doing, and I certainly don't want to read anyone elses trivia.
If I have something to say to a friend, I would rather pick up the phone, or have them round for a coffee.:D

Oooh I couldn't live without fb! My parents and sister all live abroad (all in different countries!) so for us, it is a lovely informal way of keeping in touch, sending photos to each other and having a little chat in the evenings.
Now my nieces and nephews are getting older they are joining so my children get to keep in daily touch with cousins, who without fb, they would have little to no contact with at all.

The Juggler
24-02-2011, 04:27 PM
i rarely write anything about childminding on fb, if i do then its never negative things and i wont be friends with mindees parents, not until they leave then its a nice way to keep in touch.

what i am having trouble with at the moment is hiding posts of my news feeds! i am friends with quite a few teenagers (children i used to nanny for) but the problem is they often write offensive posts with swearing in. i dont want my adult friends to see these posts but at the moment it wont let me hide them :panic: ive tried hiding posts by clicking on the x in the top right and it says they are hidden but when i refresh the page they are back again, it even does it if i click hide all thier posts!

:laughing: :laughing: i have a second cousin (21) who needs bleeps in her posts too. she is fb friends with my aunt who is 80 - goodness knows what she makes of her:eek: :panic:

manjay
24-02-2011, 04:47 PM
[/color]
:laughing: :laughing: i have a second cousin (21) who needs bleeps in her posts too. she is fb friends with my aunt who is 80 - goodness knows what she makes of her:eek: :panic:

I have this too with my own 18 yr old DD! and she has my Mum as one of her friends:rolleyes: .

I love fb and don't see any problem with it. I wouldn't have parents as friends but I very rarely mention work anyway

Pipsqueak
24-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I like FB to and don't see a problem with it - provided its used sensibly.

i have a personal and a work account and n'er the twain shall meet - I am not even friends with myself!

I would not however post stuff about individuals... might post about the LO's all being asleep or how cute or similar but never anything negative.....

Would not post pix either

clorogue
24-02-2011, 05:58 PM
The safest thing is to believe that what you are saying on facebook, you are saying to the world!

venus89
24-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Another FB fan here and I do sometimes post about the LOs sleeping or about having a good day but rarely post about work and would never, ever post a negative comment..... I do have a parent as a friend but we were friends before I started minding her son.

The other thing that annoys me, apart from really sweary people, is people who use text speak instead of proper english :blush: None of my FB friends do but friends of friends do and it really really bugs me :panic:

Bitsy Beans
24-02-2011, 08:33 PM
As far as I am concerned FB is for personal stuff ONLY, not work at all.
I have one parent who's a friend on FB but she's not just mindees mum she's my hairdresser too so it's a bit more of a friendship IYSWIM.

BlondeMoment
24-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm not "friends" with any of my parents either (apart from one who is a family friend). Work is work, social is social. However I'm glad you put this cos I hadn't really thought much at all about what I put in my statuses about work. Nothing awful and certainly no names or photgraphs but I'm sure I've said things after a tough day like I must be mad to be a childminder etc. I'm sure I've done no harm but this thread will certainly stop me doing any in future.
Thanks x

ajs
24-02-2011, 09:28 PM
friends with parents, post childrens photos and chat to them too.
gosh i must contravene all rules then

even had professional photos done with one of my mindees and our pics are on my account too

Vickster
25-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I only post nice things about the day no specifics. I am friends with one parent as she is my friend, but not the other one.

WibbleWobble
25-02-2011, 08:23 AM
i have a FB account. I only have one mum as a "friend" and i never put anything about childminding on. No pics no status reports etc. I do send "mum" a message evry so often (was her birthday last week, she kept her children at home to play with her for the day- that was her trreat) so said happy birthday. I like to see pics of my lovely mindees at home and doing stuff with mum and dad.

mandy xxx

MaryMary
25-02-2011, 08:36 AM
[/COLOR]

One of my FB friends posts were quite offensive - often swearing (about her ex) even using the 'C' word! :eek: I have hidden her :( I don't want to see that! The worrying thing is she is a CM :panic: I met her on my ICP course!

BlondeMoment
25-02-2011, 01:46 PM
One of my FB friends posts were quite offensive - often swearing (about her ex) even using the 'C' word! :eek: I have hidden her :( I don't want to see that! The worrying thing is she is a CM :panic: I met her on my ICP course!

You can't help what other people put as their status tho and I'm sure the parents you're "friends" with appreciate that