PDA

View Full Version : using slings

Deb
23-02-2011, 04:58 PM
baby carriers, not arm supports :panic:

I am going to mention it to parents, but not ask permission as such. BUT would you feel that you had to mention that you were going to use a sling to carry baby in?

I'm going to be having 3 two year olds and a 9 month old from sometime in March, and the school run is a fair old walk away, so I thought I would carry babe in a sling and pop two of the toddlers in the pram and swap them half way or whenever. Cant get a triple through the A frame gates in the park I have to walk through.

So, then, would you ask/mention it?

Trouble
23-02-2011, 05:12 PM
As long as all the children are safe which i think you have covered i dont see why you would have to mention it

but i will say take care of your back lots of tea and relax when you get back :thumbsup:

Baildon bears
23-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I tried a baby carrier when my son was a baby, trying to avoid a double buggy though I ended up having to get one anyway. I felt like my little one was not secure while leaning forwards pushing, unless you mean a back carrier not tried one of those, I would not fancy carrying a 9 month old to school and back not sure if I would want to damage my back for my job. Good luck anyway.

Playmate
23-02-2011, 05:50 PM
I tried a baby carrier when my son was a baby, trying to avoid a double buggy though I ended up having to get one anyway. I felt like my little one was not secure while leaning forwards pushing, unless you mean a back carrier not tried one of those, I would not fancy carrying a 9 month old to school and back not sure if I would want to damage my back for my job. Good luck anyway.

I wouldn't want to damage my back either 9mths can be a fair weight. I would use a double buggy and get the 3 year olds to take turns.

Deb
23-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm a big old bird and have used a sling before.

I am training the 2 year olds to walk by the pram and they are coming on grand. One of them is a nightmare tho and is always a step behind and getting her feet under the wheels. Bless her.

merry
23-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Did I read that right, 3 two year olds and a 9 month old :eek: You must be mad :laughing: If you're going to be walking a good distance carrying a 9 month old in a sling it might be a good idea to research which are the best kind to get, cos most are for smaller babies. Could you get a buggy board for your pushchair too, might save you having to stop halfway and swap the toddlers around, also the wind, rain and cold can still be quite bad in March and you might find that none of the toddlers are keen on walking. You can get triple tandem pushchairs but they're very expensive.
I wouldn't ask parents permission but I would tell them I'd be doing it, in fact if I was one of the parents I'd be wanting to know how you were going to manage them all anyway.

:)

Helen79
23-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I haven't got parent's permission, same as I don't have permission for using a buggy or highchair, it's just standard equipment. Don't think I've told parents that I use one either.
I think in my policies I've written something about using age appropriate slings and buggys so parents can see that I use one and have a RA for using the sling in my outing RA.

Donkey
23-02-2011, 06:45 PM
interesting group for you Deb

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110918748959270

there are loads of different slings out on the market...

I would possible look at some form of wrap rather than a baby carrier, those tomy style ones kill!

Deb
23-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah the Tomy one's a killer - Thanks Flutteringby

little chickee
23-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I wouldnt feel the need to get a parents permission to use a sling. If thats what you need to use then use it.

What would you do if they said no? Do you have another option? If not don't ask!

FussyElmo
23-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I suppose it would depend on the mums views. Whereas I agree its just another piece of equipment some people might not see it like that and the mum might not want you to put her child in a sling instead of a puchchair.

Personally I would tell mum I was planning on putting the baby in a sling :thumbsup:

flowerpots
23-02-2011, 07:41 PM
just out of interest, what will you do with baby if its raining? ive never used a sling but would consider it, i dont think i would ask parents permission.

:)

claire'scherubs
23-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I use a 'back pack' for my 1 year old on the school runs, he loves it, has an 'umbrella' when its raining, and he is strapped into too.

Gives me 2 hands free to walk the 2 4year olds back to the car.

Wouldn't want to go to far with him on my back but it is a godsend. Saves no end of time when having to get between 2 school in 10 mins

Mum knows I use it and LO loves it even started singing in my ear now

Helen79
23-02-2011, 08:02 PM
You can buy raincovers (http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/covers/) for slings for bad weather

flowerpots
23-02-2011, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Helen79;877495]You can buy raincovers (http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/covers/) for slings for bad weather[/QUOT

oh, didnt realise there was such a thing. :blush:

singingcactus
23-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Wraps are great - I carried my BIG baby in it till he was 2 and no longer wanted to go in it. He was born the length of a 5 month old and is now just 5 but the size of an 8 year old. I never had any issues with weight distribution with a wrap sling.
However if you want a simpler sling I can recommend a mei tai sling. I currently carry my 10 month old mindee in one of these and he loves it. He faces me the whole time so I can chatter to him and he to me, he can snuggle and sleep in it, he is mostly covered so rain not an issue at all. :D I even put my 5 year old in it the other day to show someone how to use it, again no worries with my back. The sling holds baby against your body so weight distribution is along your own centre of gravity.
I used to carry a newborn in my sling when I was pregnant with my youngest because I had a 2 year old and a 1 year old in the pram too.
I can't remember if I have ever discussed this with parents but they all know I am a baby carrier, I hold babies to sleep, a carry them around, and I don't ever let them cry it out, and I talk a lot about slings.

Helen79
23-02-2011, 08:12 PM
You can buy/make a fleece poncho (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/poncho.html) too to keep everyone cozy. There are simpler no sew patterns as well, where you just cut 2 holes in a circle of fleece.

Lincsminder
23-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Wraps are great - I carried my BIG baby in it till he was 2 and no longer wanted to go in it. He was born the length of a 5 month old and is now just 5 but the size of an 8 year old. I never had any issues with weight distribution with a wrap sling.
However if you want a simpler sling I can recommend a mei tai sling. I currently carry my 10 month old mindee in one of these and he loves it. He faces me the whole time so I can chatter to him and he to me, he can snuggle and sleep in it, he is mostly covered so rain not an issue at all. :D I even put my 5 year old in it the other day to show someone how to use it, again no worries with my back. The sling holds baby against your body so weight distribution is along your own centre of gravity.
I used to carry a newborn in my sling when I was pregnant with my youngest because I had a 2 year old and a 1 year old in the pram too.
I can't remember if I have ever discussed this with parents but they all know I am a baby carrier, I hold babies to sleep, a carry them around, and I don't ever let them cry it out, and I talk a lot about slings.

I still carry my heavy 2 year old in a wrap sling its fine so long as it is tight. Up until a year he fitted under my coat but now I just put a rain coat on him and he is fine.

miffy
24-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I'd be asking the LA to alter the A frame at the park so I could get a triple pushchair through :)

Miffy xx

mama2three
24-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Wow , you must be fit!
have you looked at the joovy? tandem double buggy plus a toddler step / seat on the back , and same length as a standard tandem.

onceinabluemoon
24-02-2011, 09:21 AM
I use a Close Parent sling and its brilliant, It hold the child very close to you so there is not that 'lag' on your bag which makes it ache...

They're pretty expensive but often come up on ebay for about half the price x

Chell
24-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Singingcactus, it was nice to get down to your post and see someone postive!

You can get hundreds of different slings these days. I hate seeing babies flopping around in those Tomy type baby carriers. Some of those don't position the babies hips correctly.

I used a Calin Bleu wrap when DD2 was small, she was so snug and comfy in it.

This type:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rhTQ5otcL._AA115_.jpg

onceinabluemoon
24-02-2011, 11:22 AM
This type:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rhTQ5otcL._AA115_.jpg

Ahh this is the same type, but different brand, as the one I have (Close Parent), they're fab and my mindees love being in them.

JCrakers
24-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I wouldnt be able to carry a 9m old..my back is really bad.
I dont pick up the kids unless i really have to and I can't sit on the floor :( Always have to use a chair. If i sit on the florr for longer than 10mins I suffer for days....so have to think about myself and my safety. I'm an old croc for saying im only 36 next weds. Feel like 66...:p

I had a double buggy with a buggy board which worked well for me when I had a 10m, 23m and a 2.5yr old :D
Becky x

Chell
24-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I wouldnt be able to carry a 9m old..my back is really bad.
I dont pick up the kids unless i really have to and I can't sit on the floor :( Always have to use a chair. If i sit on the florr for longer than 10mins I suffer for days....so have to think about myself and my safety. I'm an old croc for saying im only 36 next weds. Feel like 66...:p

I had a double buggy with a buggy board which worked well for me when I had a 10m, 23m and a 2.5yr old :D
Becky x

You might be suprised if you had a decent sling. I have a rubbish double buggy but it hurts my back far more than a sling. I get a sore lower back from struggling to tip the buggy for kerbs.