PDA

View Full Version : Would you???

claire'scherubs
23-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Charge or not?

Baby (7 weeks old) looked after by me, for 26 hours a week.

Rushed into hospital on Monday and still there.

Would you charge.......personally I am thinking no, but then am I am softie????

What would you do

birch24
23-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I have to say I wouldn't charge either. Poor thing hope she is ok.:(

little miss chatterbox
23-02-2011, 03:25 PM
No I don't think I would but then I am a softie too!
I would however point out that it is a one off and not charging due to circumstances.

hope baby is ok

carol cameron
23-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Right there with you, I wouldn't either under those circumstances.

With a bit of luck the parents will insist on paying you when you say you won't be charging:)

Might be worth limiting it to say 1 week and specific to emergency hospital admission though in case they think it would apply to any future time he's unwell ?

maisiemog
23-02-2011, 04:22 PM
i wouldnt charge either. Poor little thing. Hope they feel better soon!

Deb
23-02-2011, 04:47 PM
you could find you are making a rod for your own back here.

Be careful and think about it! You're running a business here but a bit of compassion wouldnt go amiss.

The Juggler
23-02-2011, 04:49 PM
OMG that is so tiny. how long have you had her??? I think I would offer to give half back or something??

Deb
23-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I thought there was a law against working before 6 weeks when you are discharged anywho?

The youngest I get is 9 months -slap bang in the middle of the old object permanence phase. :/

rickysmiths
23-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Sorry, I know this isn't going to be popular, I would charge as normal. My contract states they pay if the child is off sick. It is very difficult and sad for the little one, who I hope gets better soon, but you are a business not a charity and where do you draw the line if the child is ill again?

rickysmiths
23-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I thought there was a law against working before 6 weeks when you are discharged anywho?

The youngest I get is 9 months -slap bang in the middle of the old object permanence phase. :/

I don't think so especially if you are self employed for instance. You can go back to work when you are ready.

Do you remember the teacherlast year, who was back at work hours after the birth of her baby?

Minstrel
23-02-2011, 05:37 PM
The law is you must refrain from work for two weeks (four weeks if you work in a factory) after childbirth. But this wouldn't mean the child couldn't be in childcare from birth.

Deb
23-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I dont think I could stand up at 6 weeks post-partum let along go back to work!

Hope they are soon home

mufftie
23-02-2011, 06:16 PM
The law is you must refrain from work for two weeks (four weeks if you work in a factory) after childbirth. But this wouldn't mean the child couldn't be in childcare from birth.

i went back to work when my youngest son was 2 weeks old , needs must im affraid and i worked in a garage as a mechanic back then

claire'scherubs
23-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Long story, but mummy is a student at uni, so no choice in the matter really

flowerpots
23-02-2011, 07:50 PM
awww hun, hope little one is ok. im not really with the majority, i would still charge, were struggling for money at the moment and couldnt really afford to just refund the money, and if she gets her childcare paid for then it wont really make much difference anyway. :(

Chimps Childminding
23-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Think I would probably not charge for this week, but would have to see how it goes, if child is going to be off for a few weeks or so it might be a case of HAVING to charge!

carolyn01
23-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi, no i def wouldn't charge. Baby is only 7 weeks old and parents must be at wit's end so I would show some compassion and not charge personally. :panic:

jane5
23-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry but I would charge her, she is getting the childcare paid any way and even if she didnt get help with fees, I have still got bills to pay.:blush:

If her fees were due I would tell her to wait until the baby was out of hospital before she worried about the payment.

claire'scherubs
23-02-2011, 10:11 PM
OMG that is so tiny. how long have you had her??? I think I would offer to give half back or something??

she came to me at 3 weeks old