PDA

View Full Version : royal wedding - day off?

Helen79
23-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't work bank holidays and don't charge for them, I'm just working out my hours and holidays for April and wondered what everyone else is doing for the Royal Wedding bank holiday?
Are you working that day, taking it off and what are you charging?

nic t
23-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't work Fridays so not a problem for me.

If I did I would just treat it as any other Bank Holiday as per my contracts. So in my case I wouldn't be working but would charge half fees.

mufftie
23-02-2011, 12:10 PM
The 29 th happens to be my hubby's 40 th birthday and I'd booked a weeks holiday anyway from the 28th as were doing a mini run to cornwall in our classic minis along with 2 thousand other mini fans who do it every year :D
It's going to be manic as I've actually bought him a mint condition mini pick up which I've hidden in a friends garage , the plan is to give it him that morning to drive to Newquay in ( he thinks he is driving the cooper we have )
It's been a huge mission buying insuring and collecting this car when he works from home himself , ive still got to tax it next month and ship it to a garage to be checked over without him twigging

So as you can guess my thoughts will not be on the royal couple that day lol

Louise0208
23-02-2011, 12:31 PM
its the school easter holidays here then so i shall be working...but charging extra ..... but the school are having an extra day off after the holidays so i shall be having all the schoolies an extra day :D

i shall just be back from my holiday the week before so will need the money (not that im thinking of the money of course :p )

jelly15
23-02-2011, 12:34 PM
So excited, I am having the day off (don't charge) :clapping:

Rubybubbles
23-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't work bank holidays and don't charge for them, I'm just working out my hours and holidays for April and wondered what everyone else is doing for the Royal Wedding bank holiday?
Are you working that day, taking it off and what are you charging?

same for me!

april going to be a nice month (apart from lack of funds lol!)

Mrs Pootle
23-02-2011, 01:10 PM
It's school hols here so I'm not working (only do term time). My dd's are going to put on their party dresses, make feathery wedding hats and sit and watch it on tv. :D

mushpea
23-02-2011, 01:25 PM
i belive its classed as an official bank holiday so as i dont work bank holidays I will have the day off but I have to say I am totaly miffed by the whole affair,,, these people have so much money they dont know what to do with it yet insead of having their wedding on a weekend or a bank holiday thats already in place the make another holiday and therefore not only does it mean loss of wages for people but I would imagine incovnince for people too ie childcare issues etc,, the royals just dont seem to think of anyone but themselves in this issue

Ripeberry
23-02-2011, 01:48 PM
same for me!

april going to be a nice month (apart from lack of funds lol!)

I was doing the invoices for March and most of my mindees are only coming for 3 or 4 days out of the whole of April :eek: Also April 27th is me and DH's 10th wedding anniversary so quite a special month :clapping:

manjay
23-02-2011, 01:53 PM
I have booked the week off anyway and we are off in our caravan to South Wales. However if I had been working I would have charged as per normal bank holidays. Full fee if not needed and double fee if needed:thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
23-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't charge for bank hols unless someone asks me to work and then I charge extra!
So unless someone wants me I will be having the day off (although if I am working we will still make a day of it anyway :D ):D

LisaMcNally09
23-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I am treating it as any other bank holiday and not working but charging normal fee. I am taking the three days in the middle off and that way i end up with 11 days off and only losing 1 1/2 days money (i charge half for my holidays):D

I cant wait:clapping:

Carol M
23-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Not working, no charge.
Carol xx

snufflepuff
23-02-2011, 02:45 PM
We booked a short holiday that week ages ago, before the wedding was announced. So I will be closed that week- at the moment I don't work Fridays anyway. I have a family due to sign contracts for either a Tuesday or Friday, so depending on which day they chose Fridays may still be my day off then too.

Otherwise i'd have treated it as any other bank holiday- normal fee payable if they don't need me to work, double fees if they do need me to work.

rickysmiths
23-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm Having the day off. I have booked the 3 days that week as holiday so I will sit and watch this wedding all the way through! I worked through Charles and Dianas and Andrew and Sarahs! Even though C @Ds was a Bank Holiday.

Mushpea. Yes it is an extra Bank Holiday. I'm sorry you're so upset.

The only time there has been a BH for a Royal Wedding up to now was in July 1981 for Charles and Dianas wedding. I don't see what the problem is having another one this year 30years on? You make it sound as if there have been loads of them.

Sorry as well, because there is an extra Royal BH next year for the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

See the link in this thread:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76870

~Chelle~
23-02-2011, 06:24 PM
i belive its classed as an official bank holiday so as i dont work bank holidays I will have the day off but I have to say I am totaly miffed by the whole affair,,, these people have so much money they dont know what to do with it yet insead of having their wedding on a weekend or a bank holiday thats already in place the make another holiday and therefore not only does it mean loss of wages for people but I would imagine incovnince for people too ie childcare issues etc,, the royals just dont seem to think of anyone but themselves in this issue

:thumbsup:

Or they could have chosen another month, seeing as April has so many Bank Holidays already and then there is May day bank holiday and the one at the end of May. So in the space of just over a a month, there will be 5 bank holidays :eek: That is one week of no pay :censored:

Dragonfly
23-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Thats what I thought Chelle:)

Playmate
23-02-2011, 07:06 PM
We wil be having a day off the same as any other BH and getting normal pay because know one ever wants to pay £9 p/hr for us to work :D
We have always charged normal pay for bank hoidays, but said we are available for a higher rate of pay and have never had any quibbles. We will probably spend the day catching up on paper work anyway :laughing:

mushpea
23-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm Having the day off. I have booked the 3 days that week as holiday so I will sit and watch this wedding all the way through! I worked through Charles and Dianas and Andrew and Sarahs! Even though C @Ds was a Bank Holiday.

Mushpea. Yes it is an extra Bank Holiday. I'm sorry you're so upset.

The only time there has been a BH for a Royal Wedding up to now was in July 1981 for Charles and Dianas wedding. I don't see what the problem is having another one this year 30years on? You make it sound as if there have been loads of them.

Sorry as well, because there is an extra Royal BH next year for the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

See the link in this thread:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76870

no i dont mean they have had loads i just mean its like the world revolves around them,, lots of people get married each year and i fail to see how theirs differs from anyone elses yet they have made people have a day off for it, yes some companys will still open but many will shut , i just dont see why the cant have it on an 'already' bank holiday,, they seem to lthink that everyone will want to watch them???

Helen79
23-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Think I'll probably stay open then. dh and mindee's parents will probably still have to work so I'll feel bad for taking a day off just because someone is getting married. I can't afford to take another BH off since there's so many that month anyway.

charleyfarley
23-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I shall be charging my full fee for all those contracted for Fridays :thumbsup:

Carol xx

suez
23-02-2011, 07:49 PM
im a fool :blush:

im working it as a normal working day , i only stipulated in our contracts BH MONDAYS.

the lo's i have guarenteed on a friday, mom works in a place that would defo be open, and as i worked BH friday over xmas i feel i cant change my prices now....so im stuck with it!

BUT seeing as im working for them iv told others im open as normal......so i still earn some pennies:thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
23-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not working, but don't charge for bh's so my choice!!! I am also booking off the weds and thurs of that week as monday is a bh, don't currently work tuesdays, then following week bh monday and off tues, nice long week off for losing least amount of money!!! :clapping:

Louise0208
23-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Like the rest of us they can get married as & when they want...... i know i wouldnt want the country telling me when i shouldnt get married....no matter how 'inconvenient' :laughing:

was it the royals that declared it a bank holiday? if ot then its hardly there fault!

TheBTeam
23-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I dont work bank holidays and dont get paid for them, so i will enjoy the day off, but not be able to do much cos it will make money even tighter,:rolleyes: but i have got to the point where i would rather have the time than the money!!! (well to a point!)

Twinkles
23-02-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm happy to have an extra bank holiday !

Having said that I will be in Spain on a girlie shopping and sunbathing holiday :thumbsup:

Louise0208
23-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Having said that I will be in Spain on a girlie shopping and sunbathing holiday :thumbsup:

sounds bliss :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
23-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Me too :clapping: :clapping:

Now I'm really good at shopping, do you have room for a little one? :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Bananabrain
23-02-2011, 08:27 PM
What really peeves me is not the bank hol issue, but the amount of money spent when there are so many people struggling in this country.

mushpea
23-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Think I'll probably stay open then. dh and mindee's parents will probably still have to work so I'll feel bad for taking a day off just because someone is getting married. I can't afford to take another BH off since there's so many that month anyway.

ah now thats what i was meaning,,, gosh im rubbish with words,, see i was trying to say that I dont want to loose a days money because somone is getting married,, lots of people do it just like lots of people have hip replacments yet noone hears about it unitll somone famous has one like the queen.

debratina
23-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I am just waiting for my invitation to come through the post :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Debra x

jane5
23-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I charge full fee for bank holidays if parents dont use me and double if they do and my parents wont be using me so I get a day off.
They are also taking the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off that week in between so I get 11 days off (including the weekends) on full fees :D

My dh will be working one of the bank holidays :(

miffy
23-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't work Fridays so not a problem for me but if I did I would charge full for anyone contracted for that day

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
23-02-2011, 10:06 PM
no i dont mean they have had loads i just mean its like the world revolves around them,, lots of people get married each year and i fail to see how theirs differs from anyone elses yet they have made people have a day off for it, yes some companys will still open but many will shut , i just dont see why the cant have it on an 'already' bank holiday,, they seem to lthink that everyone will want to watch them???

The thing is, in reality it will generate a massive interest and will create a lot of revenue for many companies. All the souvenirs, the food and drink industry on the day, the paper plate and table cloth maufacturers for all the parties!, elc selling all those Royal Wedding Happyland sets. There will be more tourists that will come to London over the Easter break, stay longer and they will be spending money.

Think of all the expensive clothes and hats that will be bought. The flowers, corsages and button holes never mind the flowers for the Abbey and the Brides bouquet.

All the Charities that will get donations of thousands and thousands of pounds because they have asked for donations not presents.

All the wedding guests that will be staying in hotels. The Catering Companies who will provide lunch for the 2000 guests, only a few get to go to Buck house the majority will be entertained at venues around London.

All the people like me, when Charles and Diana got married, who are commissioned by Buckingham Palace to provide goods. I was asked to make a Wedding Cake. It was then given to a local hospital in the city (Bath) I lived in and all the patients who were in hospital on the day of their wedding had a piece of one of the several hundred cakes that were commissioned. I was then allowed to use that when advertising and got business as a result. It was reported in my local paper, with photos and then months later ones with the cake so I got a double wammy of free advertising.

These are things we don't realise unless we are envolved in them I guess. The Royal Family don't blow their own trumpet either.

Sorry I'll get off my Soap Box now. :blush:

Oh and all the boxes of chocs and wine all the people like me, who have a day off will be consuming while we watch the Wedding, and the tissues!

wendywu
23-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Like it or not it is our future King and Queen getting married.

Everyone makes their own rules regarding BH, every one has the choice to charge or not to charge. It is up to us.

I bet there are a lot of parents who moan that some schools are shut for polling day causing them to pay for a full days care. :)

rickysmiths
23-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Like it or not it is our future King and Queen getting married.

Everyone makes their own rules regarding BH, every one has the choice to charge or not to charge. It is up to us.

I bet there are a lot of parents who moan that some schools are shut for polling day causing them to pay for a full days care. :)

Very true about the Polling Stations it used to annoy me, not because of the childcare cost but the school closing. Why do they have to use schools anyway? There are loads of Community Centres, halls what about using the local Childrens Centres the impact of those closing for the day would be less wouldn't it?

Louise0208
24-02-2011, 07:33 AM
The thing is, in reality it will generate a massive interest and will create a lot of revenue for many companies. All the souvenirs, the food and drink industry on the day, the paper plate and table cloth maufacturers for all the parties!, elc selling all those Royal Wedding Happyland sets. There will be more tourists that will come to London over the Easter break, stay longer and they will be spending money.

Think of all the expensive clothes and hats that will be bought. The flowers, corsages and button holes never mind the flowers for the Abbey and the Brides bouquet.

All the Charities that will get donations of thousands and thousands of pounds because they have asked for donations not presents.

All the wedding guests that will be staying in hotels. The Catering Companies who will provide lunch for the 2000 guests, only a few get to go to Buck house the majority will be entertained at venues around London.

All the people like me, when Charles and Diana got married, who are commissioned by Buckingham Palace to provide goods. I was asked to make a Wedding Cake. It was then given to a local hospital in the city (Bath) I lived in and all the patients who were in hospital on the day of their wedding had a piece of one of the several hundred cakes that were commissioned. I was then allowed to use that when advertising and got business as a result. It was reported in my local paper, with photos and then months later ones with the cake so I got a double wammy of free advertising.

These are things we don't realise unless we are envolved in them I guess. The Royal Family don't blow their own trumpet either.

Sorry I'll get off my Soap Box now. :blush:

Oh and all the boxes of chocs and wine all the people like me, who have a day off will be consuming while we watch the Wedding, and the tissues!

nice one :clapping: :thumbsup:

my family are not big fans of the royals but unlike them i have admiration for harry & wills (both of whom my sons are named after) and Lady Di when she was alive, i feel they are a whole new generation of royals that can make a difference to the stigma attached to the once outdated royal family.

Roseolivia
24-02-2011, 09:21 AM
If people are working why not make it a special day with the children, get them to dress up, have a party, watch the wedding, do royal crafts etc. Sure the parents will enjoy you doing this