PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diaries if parents aren't that bothered

Lily Grace
22-02-2011, 10:27 PM
OK one mum who is a friend hasn't returned the daily diary for 2 weeks but there has been a death in the family so cant put to much pressure on her. If Ofsted were due which they are not, I cant make mum write comments.

Other mindee has just started, filled in daily diary for a week and haven't seen it since. What do I, I cant force parents to return diary. What do you do???

muffins
22-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I had one that never brought it back so I would write it on a piece of paper for them & keep the diary with a copy in it!

Also had one who wasn't interested in it, never wrote in it & am sure never read it, but always left it in the childs bag so I just carried on writing in it!

Baildon bears
22-02-2011, 11:08 PM
A daily diary is really for parents info not ofsted so I would not worry to much if parents are not bothered then I would not bother, I do a daily diary for my self and put attence, spontaneous obbs, photo took etc.... This way important info does not get lost.

Noomie
22-02-2011, 11:18 PM
One parent reads almost instantly upon arrival home. Makes her feel part of her child's day. (no comments back though but feedback has revealed she loves it)

Another parent I have 3/4 diaries for and at some point one or the other arrives. No imput from them.

Others are never written in. 4.5yr old's mum was surprised I would do one at all as hadn't had one from previous minders.

Are the worth it? I don't know. I just do them anyway. xx

pinkbutterfly
22-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't do diaries for children over 3 that's because they are potty trained, parents get menu in advance, they don't nap any more and they can say what they did themselves. I have just learning journal for them with all the obs and planning.

button68
22-02-2011, 11:37 PM
One parent reads almost instantly upon arrival home. Makes her feel part of her child's day. (no comments back though but feedback has revealed she loves it)

I have a parent who is exactly like this one, they ALWAYS read the diary every night (if I forget to put diary in the bag they will text and ask what fruit LO had so they don't duplicate it at tea) - but they never write anything back. We do tend to have a chat at morning drop off though.

My diary does have a space for Parents Comments - it's just that no one ever choses to use it :o

Some CM's round here are saying Ofsted aren't happy if diaries aren't signed :( but as Basildon Bears said the diary is for parents not Ofsted.

Ripeberry
23-02-2011, 12:30 AM
One of my parents always reads the diary in the car before he drives off in the evening. Like he can't wait to see what J has been up to :)

miffy
23-02-2011, 07:58 AM
I do my daily diaries on an A4 sheet of paper - parents sign (and leave a comment if they wish) when they pick up so the diaries stay here and form part of the lj

I only do diaries for EYFS children and a very short version for those in EYFS who are at school.

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
23-02-2011, 08:10 AM
As Ofsted told me at my inspection ''You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink''
She was talking about a set of my parents at the time, who insist I write a daily diary even though lo is only here after school normally, so I literally (sp) write in it what I give him for tea, any homework or letters from school. During holidays when I have have longer they don't bother to send it!!!

My other parents read everything I write and although they don't write comments in the book, I know they appreciate knowing what their lo has been doing :thumbsup:

Carol xx