PDA

View Full Version : baby bottles and weening..... help

jellybean cc
22-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi all
I am so excited i have had a mum come for coffee with a 3 month old little boy. She is looking for child care 2 days a week.

Can anyone tell me what is the latest must do's and must not do's with regard to formula milk i.e Is it best for her to give me a tin and i make it up when i need it. Should i give her the bottles back to wash herself?

Weening is it best she provides his food ready made up so she knows just what he is having each day.

Thanks for any help and advice

Katiekoo
22-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I ask parents to provide all food for under ones so they know what the child is having during weaning.

With milk - one of my Mums has those great sterilising bags that she sends the bottle in, then sends pouches of milk, so she's responsible for the sterilisation. Making up the milk - one parent sends pre measured up powder in a tub, and boiled water already in the sterilised bottle, I just add the powder to the water at the right time. Do whatever works for you, but I try to ensure the parent is responsible for any sterilising and measuring.

Washing bottles - I always wash up the bottles to avoid smelly milk residue. BUT my friend told me today not to wash the bottles as you may miss a bit/ not do it properly and then be responsible for any illness! Is that right? It would make my life easier if I didn't always have to wash up!

little chickee
22-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm sure that as far as bottles go the mum should provide you with the correct amount of boiled cooled water in the bottle and a measured out amount of formula.

You heat the water to the reqired temperature, add formula and shake well.

But my thoughts are that if i cannot be trusted to measure out formula and boil and cool water correctly then i should not be trusted to look after kids at all!! It is hardly difficult.

I will also accept ready made up bottles that i just heat up - maybe i shouldn't but when my own kids were on bottles they were made up the night before stored in the fridge and heated up when required - and this never hurt my kids so i see no problem with it.

as for weaning i would ask mum to provide all the food. All my parents do this anyway regardless of age of child.:thumbsup:

little chickee
22-02-2011, 06:38 PM
As for bottles i rinse under hot running water and give back to parents.

They have to wash them again properly and sterilise.

You could also ask for a empty, sterilised bottle and use ready made formula which the parent would supply.

mama2three
22-02-2011, 06:43 PM
My mindees mum gave me a steam steriliser and 4 bottles - and brings a tub of milk when needed. She trusts me with every other aspect of looking aftefr her precious boy and I dont see making up bottles as anything different. I have my moments when i envy minders whose parents bring everything daily - but at least mindee doesnt come with bags of stuff every day , I have it all here.

sillysausage
22-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I have a discussion with the parent and we agree what route we take.
Currently the parent provides a tin of milk and the sterilized bottles and I make up the milk as required. I boil the water and measure out the milk powder. I rinse the used bottles out for the parents to wash and sterilize.

As Little chickee says it's a poor do when we are considered responsible enough to provide care for a baby but not responsible enough to feed them correctly.

Same goes for weaning, I work with the parents so that the food I provide meets their requirements. If parents want to provide their babies food then great. If they don't, I am perfectly capable of batch cooking weaning foods and storing them correctly.

Donkey
22-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Bottles should be made up when you need them!!!

reheating previously boiled water is a no no I would have thought???

if I remember for when my dd had formula it said to boil the kettle 30 mins before feed was needed, then mix, then cool under running water...

milk powder is not sterile so the water is meant to be boiled (and fresh kettle of water) leaving it to cool for 30 mins would get the temp down to 80 ish degrees I think which is then hot enough to kill off any bugs in the forumla.

if you follow a different method on the advice of parents then you need to be writing this up in your safer food better business packs and I would be getting parents to fill something in that this is what they want you to do and then sign it.

In my house, I have a cold water milton steriliser (read up on miltons lots!) I do a fresh tank full every morning and I wash and sterilise mindees bottles. I am very lucky at the minute that mindee is on prescription ready mix formula so I take a bottle out, use my sterilised teat tongs, make up bottle, shake excess milton into the sink and then pour in ready mix and job done!!!

milton on contact with protein converts to a small about of salt and water. the level of salt is a fraction of the amount that WHO says is the safe level for water

Deb
22-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I just wet nurse them all.

God it's a palaver isnt it?

I do whatever the parent is happy with. I'm sure that I'm not about to put any child in mortal danger. One parent brought sterilised bottles and gave me cartons - I didnt have a separate scrubbing brush to clean it before I opened it with sterilised special scissors either.

One parent brings me a tub and leaves the bottles here for me to sterilise.

It's not rocket science. I wish some of you felt more confident to do your jobs without the threat of litigation hanging over your heads. :(

crazyhazy
22-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I make the bottles up according to the guidelines, with freshly boiled water and then add the powder within 30mins and cool to temp. Mindees mum gives me bottles which have been steralised, she used to give premeasured powder in little tubs but baby is varying the amount she wants at the moment so these days she's been sending the big tin, seeing as I'm able to count I don;t see the problem with me measuring lol

manjay
22-02-2011, 08:19 PM
It's not rocket science. I wish some of you felt more confident to do your jobs without the threat of litigation hanging over your heads. :(

I have every confidence in my ability to do my job but I will always follow best practice guidelines in relation to looking after the children.

As a childcare professional I don't think it is acceptable to say it was ok for your own children and they came to no harm. I take plenty of chances with my own that I would never dream of taking with the children in my care.

pinky33
22-02-2011, 08:28 PM
We provide milk for free if it's sma, cow and gate or aptamil (milk for free scheme).
Parents leve us one bottle to keep, and we tell them when it needs new teat, either every 3 months or before if it's to slow or damaged.

We steralise with Milton as dummys, teathers ect get thrown in too.
Cooled boiled once water and away we go.

onceinabluemoon
22-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I buy, wash, and sterilise bottles here. I buy and provide baby milk as part of my service for full timers. I make up bottles according to current guidelines (as in Flutterbye's post). I use a steam steriliser.

charleyfarley
22-02-2011, 08:45 PM
I have a new lo starting on Monday and his mom has so far left me a bag of nappies, a new tin of formula, a new water cup and 2 new bottles so yes I shall be making up his bottles as we need them during the day. She prefered to do it this way as it's less for her to remember and do before he comes to me.

I really don't mind and at least I know how the formula has been made and stored :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Deb
22-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I have every confidence in my ability to do my job but I will always follow best practice guidelines in relation to looking after the children.

As a childcare professional I don't think it is acceptable to say it was ok for your own children and they came to no harm. I take plenty of chances with my own that I would never dream of taking with the children in my care.

Dear god, I also wish some people (you in this case) weren't so touchy! Of course you do your job professionally and in line with best practice! No one suggested differently. BUT it HAS been mentioned that a minder does worry about a child becoming ill and being liable.

I agree that it's not ok to say 'mine did it and were fine' and use that as rationale against what we do with mindees.

The Juggler
22-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Dear god, I also wish some people (you in this case) weren't so touchy! Of course you do your job professionally and in line with best practice! No one suggested differently. BUT it HAS been mentioned that a minder does worry about a child becoming ill and being liable.

I agree that it's not ok to say 'mine did it and were fine' and use that as rationale against what we do with mindees.

i agree there may have been crossed wires here about what you were saying Deb but I don't think that the tone you've used is really necessary is it?. Just saying 'I didn't mean...../ or what I actally meant.....' is just as good usually :panic:

manjay
22-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Just my opinions as always:rolleyes:

singlewiththree
23-02-2011, 08:03 AM
I get left a tin, several bottles. I have a steriliser and do them myself. I don't reheat the bottles he drinks them at room temperature.

JCrakers
23-02-2011, 10:34 AM
:rolleyes: Times change dont they...I used to make 4-5 bottles up in a morning and stick em in the fridge for my own two. Stick them in the microwave when needed and bobs your uncle.

Now I have to faff about getting bottled water measured out by parents and put the powder in each bottle time.
Both were weaned at 3months also and now its 6months...will they ever make their minds up.
Becky

Deb
23-02-2011, 02:00 PM
What I meant was quite clear. :)

We know what to do, the information is available and clear - it's a shame we, as professional carers, worry about litigation and question our abilities.

Manjay, your opinion is refreshing - much more preferable than a page of love and sparkles.:cool:

AliceK
23-02-2011, 02:43 PM
:rolleyes: Times change dont they...I used to make 4-5 bottles up in a morning and stick em in the fridge for my own two. Stick them in the microwave when needed and bobs your uncle.
Now I have to faff about getting bottled water measured out by parents and put the powder in each bottle time.
Both were weaned at 3months also and now its 6months...will they ever make their minds up.
Becky

I did the same with mine too.

As regards the OP, I supply bottles, formula milk and use cold water Milton to sterilise. I will make up the bottles using cooled boiled water as and when needed. IF I had a parent who would prefer to supply everything themself that that would be fine but usually I supply it all for mindees of all ages.

xxxxxx

Flisspaps
23-02-2011, 06:33 PM
My mindee brings two prepared (powder and water) bottles with her in a cool bag which goes straight into my fridge, and this suits me just fine. I ask that parents either do this, or send in cartons with pre-sterilised bottles. I won't make up bottles during the day.

As for weaning OP, guidance is that some babies should be weaned at 4 months, but most at around 6 months and some later, so weaning may not be an issue for you for a good few months yet.

I ask parents to provide food for babies who are being puree weaned but I will provide food if they follow baby-led weaning.