PDA

View Full Version : being messed about!

moogster1a
22-02-2011, 06:02 PM
had a lady wanting a full time place. Really chuffed as they're like gold dust round here. Just had a call from her to say can he start Monday ( again, super) but she only needs mon, tues, wed. I had a quick think and said I'd need a half price retainer for the other 2 days but she said tax credits won't pay for when she's not actually at work. I said retainers are common and I think they will. Does anyone know?
failing that, I said I'd then charge extra for the 3 days. Does this sound fair?

Alibali
22-02-2011, 06:21 PM
If she doesn't need Thur and Fri you can then fill them with someone else, so she shouldn't have to pay for them at all, a retainer would only be used if she was wanting you to keep the other 2 days for her to use. I charge a slightly higher rate for my part timers than my full timers, but only £3 a day.

miffy
22-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree with Ali and I don't think tax credits will pay for childcare when she is not at work.

Miffy xx

Baildon bears
22-02-2011, 06:45 PM
How annoying have you signed contracts for full time space? I would charge a higher hourly rate as you were expecting to fill a full time space and let her know if you can't fill the other spaces and a full timer comes along you may have to give notice. But no you can't charge for days you don't have.

mufftie
22-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Tax credits pay the amount on the bill regardless of wether the child is attending nursery on certain days or not if the parent suggests that her bill is x amount to tax credits then they will just say ok we will give you x
Amount towards the cost and not actually question the amount of days thats for as they ask you to average the cost over the whole year and they know costs vary

But at the same time I agree with the others you can't charge a retainer if she never wants to use the extra days it's up to you to fill those days with an other child

nic t
22-02-2011, 07:22 PM
If that was me then I would put them on a part-time contract for the Mon, Tues, Wed. Then advertise the part-time Thur, Fri space if you want to.

As far as I'm concerned a 3 day contract is still a nice earner and I find that most contracts are part-time, infact I've never had a full-time mindee.

If I found a minder that only did full-time spaces and I wanted part-time then I would go elsewhere I'm afraid.

The Juggler
22-02-2011, 09:59 PM
i agree hon, take the 3 days and you will probably be able to fill the other 2 days. by all means charge a higher hourly rate.

Last year I had 6 EYFS children filling my 3 spaces through the week as they were all part time.:)

marnieb
23-02-2011, 07:53 AM
I agree, just take the three days, and you cant charge for the other days. Like Juggler I have 4 mindees, all part time doing 2 or 3 days a week each. That seems to be the norm, tbh!!! And yes, as well I charge £3 a day more for them.

Ticktoria
23-02-2011, 08:24 AM
If that was me then I would put them on a part-time contract for the Mon, Tues, Wed. Then advertise the part-time Thur, Fri space if you want to.

As far as I'm concerned a 3 day contract is still a nice earner and I find that most contracts are part-time, infact I've never had a full-time mindee.

If I found a minder that only did full-time spaces and I wanted part-time then I would go elsewhere I'm afraid.

I agree :) Cant see how you can charge her for days shes not going to use that you can use IYSWIM

Chimps Childminding
23-02-2011, 08:34 AM
I agree with everyone else!!! None of my children are full time, most are only 2 days a week with 1, 3 days. I also don't think you can charge her for the 2 days she doesn't need, it would be different if she needed you to keep 5 days open and only use 3 different days each week but if she is wanting set days you can always fill the other 2!!