PDA

View Full Version : Do you think being a pregnant childminder put new parents off?

Ben10mad
22-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Hiya guys as the title says really, i have had 2 new parents round within two weeks and both haven't got back to me, i have had to let them know that I'm pregnant as I'm showing however much i try and cover up but I'm only having 3-4 weeks off. Have any of you had problems with taking new children on?
I'm advertising like mad haven't stopped as i'm low on children, i need them in as i have an assistant to pay.

thanks in advance for the replys.

munch149
22-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I would say yes as annoying as it is because they know they will have to sort childcare for that time and don't always know anyone. I know with my mum she is taking all her holidays when I do as has no other childcare

pinkbutterfly
22-02-2011, 05:04 PM
I can understand them. Maybe they just haven't got anybody who could fill in while you're off for a few weeks. Have you got a solution (like a back up childminder) you could offer them?

ChocolateChip
22-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, have to say it probably would put me off if I'm totally honest :(
Purely for the reasons above, having to find childcare for the time you were off.

I have been asked by a couple of parents if I intended to have any more ( I have 3 of my own) so I do think it's a factor.
Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear- hope you get something soon!

The Juggler
22-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I have to say yes hon. I don't have local family and I wouldn't want the thought of my child starting then having to go elsewhere for 3-4 weeks (or longer if you are struggling or unwell at the end of your pregnancy). sorry :blush: I know that's tough to hear.

I think especially 1st time mums might wonder how you'll cope with tiredness and your baby and their baby (even though you'll probably cope fine).

Having said that my own childminder had 2 babies in the 2 years I was with her and it was fine but it would have put me off when looking.:blush:

Could you maybe target advertising for short term cotnracts until your maternity leave starts?

Katiekoo
22-02-2011, 05:25 PM
I think it could be putting people off. People also think about the time off with potential problems - sickness, stress etc etc. It's sad but true.
I've been asked about my future plans to have more children at the 'meeting parents' stage, I found it quite uncomfortable - there aren't many jobs where you get asked that type of question, especially by someone you just met! It really shouldn't make a difference but it does.

donnamarie2
22-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, Sorry but it would put me off as you never know how smoothly pregnancies are going to go and after having 3 csections myself i would worry about that happening and how long you would be off after for.
I know it sounds harsh but it would be a worry unless you could provide me with someone else for when your off .

marnieb
22-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd have arrangements in place now, if possible, so that new parents would be reassured that when you're off you've already got childcare covered. If you already have an assistant it shouldn't be too hard.....

miffy
22-02-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm sorry to say it would put me off too :(

As people have already said the worries would be finding cover, possibly at short notice, if you were unwell during the pregnancy; how much time you would have off after the birth (I know you said only a few weeks but many things can change this) or even whether you would go back to work or not.

Miffy xx

Tealady
22-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I lost potential business because of being pregnant. I only got one after schoolie sign up because I was their only option.

mum2two
23-02-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think it would.

I only took 4 weeks off when I had DD, although no new ones etc, but I signed up 3 new ones a couple of months before we were going away for a 3 week holiday, and they were fine using another cm for those 3 weeks.

xx

Ripeberry
23-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Hiya guys as the title says really, i have had 2 new parents round within two weeks and both haven't got back to me, i have had to let them know that I'm pregnant as I'm showing however much i try and cover up but I'm only having 3-4 weeks off. Have any of you had problems with taking new children on?
I'm advertising like mad haven't stopped as i'm low on children, i need them in as i have an assistant to pay.

thanks in advance for the replys.

Is this your first child? If it is, that would put me off as until you have your own you don't know how it's going to affect you and lots of parents (that I've met) would think that you would not care as much for their child.
Which of course is natural as it would be your first baby.
Short term contracts may be the best way for now.
Can CMs get maternity pay?

munch149
23-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Think there is a maternity allowance which is different tho don't think it's much

Ben10mad
23-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Is this your first child? If it is, that would put me off as until you have your own you don't know how it's going to affect you and lots of parents (that I've met) would think that you would not care as much for their child.
Which of course is natural as it would be your first baby.
Short term contracts may be the best way for now.
Can CMs get maternity pay?

hiya
this is my second child, i have always been busy but its gone so quiet. Will have to try and get short term contracts for now.
thank you for the advice