PDA

View Full Version : how much diet advice do you give?

newandlearning
22-02-2011, 04:09 PM
hi everyone..

I was wondering how much dietary advice you give parents..

I've one lil one who is always coming with processed food and how awful poos so I've suggested to mum she may want to start doing more solid food and see if this helps with the whole poo'ing thing..

and I've another lil one who hates milk so the mum gives choc milk or horlicks to her lil one before bed... the lil one is 16mths old... I said I wasn't sure giving choc milk was a good thing but can also see the mum's reason which is 'choc milk has to be better than no milk' I've suggested possibly a strawberry shake or honey milk could be better for her ...

I'm not sure if its good for me to pass comment on these areas of diet really.. I offer advice as mum was wanting me to give her choc milk here and I said I didn't really want to but would be happy re-trying normal milk... arrr...:panic: :panic: /...

I don't want to come across as up my own nappy :) .. should I possibly just not get involved and only offer advice if asked for.. I'm not sure..x

mushpea
22-02-2011, 04:32 PM
I have always tried to gently suggest to parents that things are either not so good or 'better' but you dont always get anywhere,,,
I have one child that eats sausages and pork pies for breakfast but the mother cant understand why child is sick before arriving at mine!
Another parent whose child has just turned 1yrs and has only just this week started on finger food and hasnt got a clue what to do with it.
then a third child whose parent sends them with sandwichs with jam in so thick it could have been sliced then wonders why the child wont eat them.
another whose mum cuts off the crusts at home as child wont eat them but happily eats crusts at mine
I have stuff with all of these and they just dont take any notice and carry on regardless.

The Juggler
22-02-2011, 05:20 PM
i think with bedtime sugars I'd be more likely to stick my nose in and hand her dental info leaflets about the dangers.

She'd be better off giving her some cheese or yoghurt than choc milk.

On the processed foods all you can do is hand a leaflet/info about the dangers on small digestive systems of too much processed food.

Baildon bears
22-02-2011, 05:31 PM
It's really difficult situation, my co-ordinater once told me I should send health info to all parents so as you are not singling out a parent but I still did not feel comfortable doing that. Now your mindee has had choc milk there's no way she will want normal and I would not give it at my house either. I would suggest how bad it is for her teeth and maybe to reduce the number of choc powder they put into it as I bet only a little bit of powder would just flavor the milk enough.

mufftie
22-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I had the opposit trouble with a parent , she couldn't understand why her child had constant runny poos , but he would come to me every day with a box full of fruit in every shape and form a typical box would be a huge banana an apple and strawberries plus fruit flakes or a fruit bar and to drink would be an innocenti fruit smoothy he was 2 yrs old and a small 2 yr old at that

onceinabluemoon
22-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I give advice if I think its in the childs best inrterest but I'm always aware that the parent is the parent and it's their child not mine and make a point of saying that. Some parents dont like it, others do, you jsut have to see how it goes really...

Carol M
23-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I display loads of leaflets, including ones on Healthy Eating, on my notice board. A sign says "parents are welcome to borrow" and if I have an issue I make sure lots of relevant info is displayed and can point out to parents.
Then it is up to parents if they want to read and not just take my word for it:panic:
Carol xx