PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody got one and would share with me?

Dragonfly
22-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi, conjuntivitis doing its rounds as well as ever thing else, has anyone got a policy that excludes tiny/very young
mindees for a couple of days but doesnt exclude older ones able to be a bit more hygenic. not sure how i would word it or start:blush:

miss mopple
22-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I have just redone my first aid and we talked about conjunctivitis. You cant exclude for it and nowadays most doctors wont prescribe dropes etc as apparently the majority of cases are non infectious.

ChocolateChip
22-02-2011, 05:22 PM
In my sickness policy I have put
'Whilst I will take advice from the Health Protection Unit any decision to exclude a child due to being infectious will be made at my discretion, as I have a duty to protect others in my setting.
Common exclusion periods are as follows:
Vomiting/ diarrhoea- 48 hrs from last instance
Conjunctivitus- 24 hrs after first treatment (if not too much secretion)
Chicken pox- until all sores are dried (scabbed over)
Infections- 24hrs after first dose of anti-biotics

So as long as it's in your policy you can do what you like!
You could put in a bit more info re the conj. to state the difference between older children who can be a bit responsible and babies and toddlers who can't, if you want.
Another phrase I have in my policy is that they need to be 'clinically well' to attend, i.e. no temperature and able to join in normal routines and activties, that covers quite a lot of situations where there is any doubt.

Dragonfly
22-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Thank you for your replies. The local school excluded a youngster last week because of conjuntivitis, and usually (15yrs of minding) if one gets it in the setting others are soon to follow.I know that if the eyes are itchy red and pussy you need eye drops of which you know longer have to go to the doctors for.

Chimps Childminding
22-02-2011, 07:45 PM
There isn't an exclusion period for conjunctiitus, so it is really up to you!! I have now amended my paperwork to say that child can return a a minimum of 12 hours after treatment has started. So in most cases they can come back the next day.

One lo went to docs a few months ago and parent was told just to bathe with warm water, another was given drops, so it seems to depend on which doctor you see as to what treatment you get :rolleyes: