PDA

View Full Version : Play on a Budget

childcareexpo
22-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Hiya,

From the ideas you suggested on here, we are developing some hands on workshops for Childcare Expo 2011.

The theme for the workshops is "Play on a Budget". The workshops will promote the idea of using the natural environment to develop a child’s creativity, communication and imagination. It will provide you with creative ways to maximise your setting by demonstrating innovative activities which involve objects and toys which could easily be found around the home and in the natural environment.

With this in mind we hope that the workshops will provide you with tips, ideas and inspiration to provide the children in your care with opportunities to develop these skills, no matter how large or small your space or budget is.

Is this something that might be of interest to you and how could we make the workshops as beneficial to you as possible?

Free registration to attend the show has opened and the seminar schedule has been announced simply visit www.childcareexpo.co.uk to book on; each seminar costs just £8 + VAT when booked in advance.

childcareexpo
11-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Just wanted to let you all know about the exciting things going on at Childcare Expo in September....

Early Years Outdoors: Magical Journeys

Stuck for ideas for your outdoor space? Fancy getting messy in the garden? Snuggling up in our cosy corner? Sharing your ideas and experiences with other outdoor play enthusiasts?

Then come along to Early Years Outdoors: Magical Journeys and be inspired by fantastic examples of outdoor resources and approaches. Designed and created by Learning through Landscapes and TTS Group this magical journey will fill you with practical and realistic ideas that you can take back to your setting.

Play on a Budget Workshops

Trying to find activities for your early years setting that don’t cost the earth? Wondering what you can do with those left over bits and bobs that are hanging around?

Visit the Play on a Budget Workshops at Childcare Expo 2011 to discover how you can create cost effective yet educational activities for the children in your care. Get hands-on, practical advice about den building and delivering numeracy, problem-solving and reasoning using fun activities from Networks for Knowledge! Or discover sensory play with Play to Z’s stimulating sensory environment filled with a sand and water play area; a storytelling tepee and a cosy stimulating area for babies to enjoy treasure baskets and sensory play. These inspiring workshops are free to attend and you can drop in and out at your leisure.

Seminar Programme

Wondering about the changes to the EYFS? Want to ensure that your activities are working for both boys and girls? Feel that you want to know more about child protection?

Then book yourself onto one of the educational seminars at Childcare Expo. Just £8 + VAT (when booked in advanced) guarantees your place to receive advice from a top industry expert about the topic that really matters to you.

And if that wasn’t enough Director of Development, Education & Care at Ofsted Patrick Leeson will be opening the show on Friday 16th September!

For more information about any of these opportunities visit www.childcareexpo.co.uk/whats-on.htm

See you there! :clapping:

Donkey
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I have looked at it and booked my ticket but...........

can you check with the exhibitors if/how much things they are planning on bringing to sell on the day??

I got really excited to go to the tes exhibition in manchester and there wasn't many exhibitors selling things...

I even brought money home, which is practically unheard of for me!!!

Pipsqueak
11-04-2011, 08:22 PM
thanks for that info :D :thumbsup:

cherry
11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Thank you. just registered :thumbsup:

miffy
11-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I got really excited to go to the tes exhibition in manchester and there wasn't many exhibitors selling things...

I even brought money home, which is practically unheard of for me!!!
:eek: :laughing:

Was there not as many stalls there as last year?

Miffy xx

childcareexpo
12-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi Flutterbyes

There are always exhibitors selling resources at the exhibition. I know last year Fine Solutions, Direct Educational Services and TTS Group were all selling from their stands so I should think they wiull be doing that again this year.

We also have some new companies on board like Cost Cutters and Nexus Learning. I will have to find out if they and others sell products during the show.

We had a meeting with TTS and learning through Landscapes last week regarding the Magical Journeys feature area and it sounds like it's going to look great. I have said that there needs to be ideas in the area for childminders as well as nurseries so we are covering everyone.

It's only going to be the second year of the show in September but I really hope that everyone gets lots out of it and I can build something that everyone puts into their calender as a must attend event.

Emma :)

Donkey
12-04-2011, 12:27 PM
no miffy...

everyone had much much smaller stand and it was heavily geared towards schools...

did have an argument with the ypo people again though lol

told them they were discriminating against childminder because even though some of us have LA funding they still wont deal with us...

her argument was well how do we know your a childminder...

er... I have an ofsted registration number...

lol

comm play things had 1/4 of the floor space...

childcareexpo
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
It is hard to get companies to take part in shows at the moment. A lot say the budget has been cut even though most stands cost less than an advert.

We target purely early years so most of the exhibitors should be relevant to childminders as well as nurseries.

If there are any companies that you would like to see, let me know and I will let you know if they are exhibiting or we will try and get them on board.

Em :)

AnnieM
12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree most of the stands at TES were pants for childminders. :( I have actually complained to TES about the lack of resources for childminders and home educators, especially in the early years. :thumbsup:

I personally was looking forward to the book people clearance stall again and the sensory warehouse stall, I also liked spacekraft last year as they had lots of show offers, but they had nothing this year and the other two weren't there. :(

Donkey
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
spacekraft - but they have to be selling stuff :)
book people
sensory toy warehouse
natures play resources
little linguist
dickory dock designs

oh and childminders like freebies :D

childcare magazine

im still thinking

childcareexpo
13-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will get onto it and try my hardest.

Em :)

AnnieM
13-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I think stands selling little things, that are not always worth buying online because of the postage costs would be good too. I do realise it is an exhibition and not an early years market, but to have a combination of the 2 would be an ideal in my opinion. :thumbsup:

childcareexpo
04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey All,

We've just published an article on our blog that was written by Catherine Clark from TTS that is full of free and cheap ideas for childminders, which we thought might be of interest.

The link is - http://www.childcareexpo.co.uk/m-blog/view/sometimes-the-best-things-in-life-are-free(682).htm

Kimberley :)

Penny1959
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey All,

We've just published an article on our blog that was written by Catherine Clark from TTS that is full of free and cheap ideas for childminders, which we thought might be of interest.

The link is - http://www.childcareexpo.co.uk/m-blo...-free(682).htm

Sorry link won't open for me - says Error on page / page not found

Penny :)

childcareexpo
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry link won't open for me - says Error on page / page not found

Sorry Penny,

Here's the link again it didn't seem to copy right!!

http://www.childcareexpo.co.uk/m-blog/view/sometimes-the-best-things-in-life-are-free(682).htm

Hope that works! :)

Penny1959
04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you - now opens.

Curvylou
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the link....as a newbie and with a 1yr old, I find it hard to think of fun activities for older children.

childcareexpo
06-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Curvylou & Penny1959,

I'm glad you both found it useful! If you keep checking the blog we've got plenty more ideas coming up in the next couple of weeks!

Take Care,