PDA

View Full Version : Storing parents' buggies

helendee
22-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Can anyone help me out on the above? Husband and I are looking after 6 children every day, most of whom arrive in their own buggies in the morning; the problem is where to store them during the day... the buggies that is and not the los....:)?

We live in an average 3 bed terraced house and don't have much room to store them, not to mention the health and safety aspect!!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to put them or how to ask parents politely to take them back home again!

Thanks x:)

caz3007
22-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I would tell them you just dont have the space for all these buggies and can they take them with them. After all a nursery wouldnt have the space either

Happy Bunny
22-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I have a small storage shed outside where i store mine. (informed parents i will not be held responsible for any loss if they choose to leave them in there)
I would ask parents to take them home if you cannot store them, bet they would moan if their little ones hurt themselves on a buggy.

Mouse
22-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I have a covered shelter at the side of the house and I lock them in there. Luckily though, it's only ever 1 or 2. Before we had the shelter put up, I had one parents would bring a massive pushchair & leave it. I told her it would have to stay outside (at the side of the house, inside the gate, but no shelter), so she got a big raincover to put over it. We used to padlock it to the drainpipe & leave it there.

If you haven't got the room, I would do a letter to parents telling them that due to lack of space, health & safety and insurance (would you be covered if anything happened to the buggies?) you are no longer going to be able to store them during the day.

Other than that, would you be able to get one of those small storage units or even a plastic greenhouse & leave them in there? What about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tidy-Tent-Bike-Cave-Garden-storage-shed-cover-GREEN-/200578810253?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item2eb36dc18d

sweets
22-02-2011, 09:52 AM
at the moment buggies are the bain of my life!!!!

i have 2 mindees arriving with them as dads drop them off and mums pick them up and walk home as they dont drive.

they are folded up and put in my hallway and we have to sidestep round them as my hallway is tiny (2 bed terrace). that then means tho that i cant put my buggy in the hallway so has to be stored in the car which is a pain if we have been for a walk and a LO falls asleep. ine of the buggies brought is an umbrella fold but not the tiny ones and the other is a quinny buzz that is actually larger folded than left up so that slots at the bottom of the stairs.

i did think of telling the parents that they couldnt bring them but that would mean mums going home for them before picking LO's up and but wouldnt be practical and would delay pick up time.

if any new mindees come with them i am going to tell parents that i can only store the basic umbrella type strollers that fold up small.

WibbleWobble
22-02-2011, 10:00 AM
i have a great big shed....but it usually has an enormous motorbike in it! We can squeeze a folded buggy in but one of my LOs comes in a quinny. So that gets folded and put in my boot. I get mum and dad to do all the lifting-its not my job to put these things up! I will not have any buggies in the house. make a mess and take up too much space!

mandy xx

caz3007
22-02-2011, 10:01 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tidy-Tent-Bike-Cave-Garden-storage-shed-cover-GREEN-/200578810253?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item2eb36dc18d

Does anyone have one of these. I want to store some lidded stacking boxes of toys in something to get them out of DS's room so we can get him a desk. Was wondering how good they were and if they would be suitable for what I want them for

rickysmiths
22-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I have a covered shelter at the side of the house and I lock them in there. Luckily though, it's only ever 1 or 2. Before we had the shelter put up, I had one parents would bring a massive pushchair & leave it. I told her it would have to stay outside (at the side of the house, inside the gate, but no shelter), so she got a big raincover to put over it. We used to padlock it to the drainpipe & leave it there.

If you haven't got the room, I would do a letter to parents telling them that due to lack of space, health & safety and insurance (would you be covered if anything happened to the buggies?) you are no longer going to be able to store them during the day.

Other than that, would you be able to get one of those small storage units or even a plastic greenhouse & leave them in there? What about something like this?

Aren't these fab. We have been talking about a shelter for me to push my buggy in during the day so I don't have to keep collapsing it. This would be ideal. Funily enough I have a parent starting in April who has asked if they can leave a buggy, never had this before on a regular basis so this might be the answer. I like the idea that we can collapse it if its not in use. Of to hunt for a better price!!

Blaze
22-02-2011, 10:51 AM
The thing is about the tidy tent - think it would be OK in a secure garden, but not out front...the materiel could easily be slit to get at what's inside IYSWIM....I looked at getting my one my own kids bikes & decided that it wan't really very secure.

caz3007
22-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Whoops, thought I was posting a new thread :laughing:

Mouse
22-02-2011, 11:12 AM
The thing is about the tidy tent - think it would be OK in a secure garden, but not out front...the materiel could easily be slit to get at what's inside IYSWIM....I looked at getting my one my own kids bikes & decided that it wan't really very secure.

We've got one in the back garden for the bikes. You're right, they're not at all secure, so I wouldn't put one where anyone could get to it.

They are quite big - we can fit 3 bikes in one, and fit together with poles (isn't a pop up one), so it's not the sort of thing you'd put up & fold away regularly. Ours has always been water tight (unless someone leaves the zip open :rolleyes: ), so would be pretty good for storage.

solly
22-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a parent who leaves her buggy everyday, if i have only got her child then i will use her buggy if i need to use my buggy then hers just stays outside the front of my house at her own risk and not stored under shelter as only have a small porch and that is where my buggy goes if i use it. I have enough to store without worrying about other buggies, it the same if the children bring scooters and bikes

georgie456
22-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Wow I've never had this issue before - I am only in a small 2 bed terrace so I would not be able to let parents leave buggies here - there is absolutely nowhere to put them without them being in the way all day. Luckily all of my mindees arrive by car and I use my own double pushchair.

HomefromHome
22-02-2011, 11:32 AM
rain covers on and bicycle locked together out the front! and parents accept you will not be liable for theft! if you have lots someone would be hard pushed to nick a train of buggies! we just dont have room (most of us) so either they take them or they have to stay out. i do suggest they get the cheaper umbrella types if they can so it's less tempting for thieves.

mufftie
22-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm really lucky I have an office downstairs / formally the garage which I can access of the hallway so I just push them in there , I have all my car seats and own biggies in there aswel

kel1983
22-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm really lucky I have an office downstairs / formally the garage which I can access of the hallway so I just push them in there , I have all my car seats and own biggies in there aswel

We too have a downstairs office which is also a spare room, buggy park and room where I put the travel cot for afternoon nap. Its very handy.:thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-02-2011, 01:24 PM
i would fold them and put them out in the back garden.:)

Louise0208
22-02-2011, 02:30 PM
only 1 mindee has a buggy....and shes nearly 4 :rolleyes: so it gets collapsed & put away in the hall wardrobe (a nice big old shabby chic white pine cuboard for the mindees coats, shoes etc....and the all important hoover :D )

i dont use the buggy as she walks perfect for me...and to be fair 4 is way to old for a buggy.....and the the fact that its absoloutly bogging & i wouldnt push a scabby dog in it! :(

i have an attached garage which has my own prams & car seats in.

babs
22-02-2011, 08:05 PM
i dont have buggies in house they are left on my front with rain cover over, at parents risk if i go out i push them down the side of the house.....

Dragonfly
22-02-2011, 08:23 PM
mouse what are the tidy tents like in windy weather are they quite tough?

onceinabluemoon
22-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I have two that come in buggies and have my own buggies in the hall so parents can only bring small umbrella strollers.

To the minder who has to store the buzz, if you flip the big wheels off and lay then underneath and telescope the handle back in it makes a much smaller fold (and only takes 1 minute)