PDA

View Full Version : All in a quandary!

Lear
21-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi there – I’m in a bit of a predicament and wondered if you could give me your advice?

I've completed my Diploma in Homebased Childcare and 12 hours of Paediatric First Aid and am currently awaiting Ofsted to visit me. A lady who has a child in my son’s class and another baby has asked me to look after her children for one day a week. The older child will just need looking after for an hour after school and the baby will be all day. I’ve told her that I’m not yet registered but she said that it does not matter to her. I’m probably going to be registered in a month’s time – I’m wondering whether to say that I’ll look after them free until I’m registered, then once I am start charging. Do you think this would work?

Minstrel
21-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Technically you could do it for free but i was advised by my inspector not to do anything to 'compromise' my application (meaning this!).

Why not offer to have the children in their own home and work as a nanny until you are reg'd?

Minstrel
21-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Also a month might be optimistic if you are still waiting for your visit and CRB and SS checks need completing or have you had those done already?

Penny1959
22-02-2011, 04:14 AM
Agree - don't do it for free - maybe for months as can take ages to actually get childminding certificate.

Also people tend not to belive you would do it for free and so could mean that people including Ofsted will take a very poor view of it.

Going to the parents house as her nanny is really the only option. At least you will be legal and getting paid. Just make sure the parents knows that you won't be covered by childminding insurance (which you wouldn't if minding at your house before registration)

A word of caution - if this parent has a 'don't care' attitude to the rules of registered childminding - will she have the same attitude to your contract and policies and procedures once you are registered?

Penny :)

miffy
22-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Definitely don't offer to do it for free.

Like Penny says you could go to her house but I'd be tempted to wait until I was properly registered before taking this on.

Miffy xx

braichey
23-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi, im new so bear with me please!!
Since my friend went back to work a few months ago ive been looking after her 10mth old son one day per week for free as shes my friend (obviously). This made me realise that i enjoyed looking after kids and wanted to take it further so im in the process of applying to become a childminder. (love this site btw!!) Anyway, i read a comment above that ofsted will not look favourably on me "minding " this child. I originally thought it would go in my favour as experience or something but now in a bit worried. The mum is one of my referees so i cant "hide" him incase she has mentioned this in her reference. Will they believe im a nice person and am doing her a favour or will i have to fight my case when ofsted arrive...eventually?? AHHH

Minstrel
23-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi, im new so bear with me please!!
Since my friend went back to work a few months ago ive been looking after her 10mth old son one day per week for free as shes my friend (obviously). This made me realise that i enjoyed looking after kids and wanted to take it further so im in the process of applying to become a childminder. (love this site btw!!) Anyway, i read a comment above that ofsted will not look favourably on me "minding " this child. I originally thought it would go in my favour as experience or something but now in a bit worried. The mum is one of my referees so i cant "hide" him incase she has mentioned this in her reference. Will they believe im a nice person and am doing her a favour or will i have to fight my case when ofsted arrive...eventually?? AHHH

It is probably my comment to which you are referring to. I'm only repeating what my pre-reg inspector said to me which was 'Don't be tempted to start working before your certificate comes through even if it is for free'. I didn't bring up the subject (I was working PT elsewhere so had no intention of starting minding until i could earn from it) and she said it in a friendly manner, I think she was just saying that it might be hard for people to believe it was being done for free/kindness.

There's nothing actually illegal about it though- just hard to prove!