PDA

View Full Version : Parents not keen on you having your own children?

snufflepuff
21-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Had a lady phone me today, she asked about prices, sibling discount (even though she later said she only has one child???), my age, how long I have been minding. She didn't seem keen on my age (only 23) or the fact i've only been minding for a year (although I have worked in childcare for 7 years). But she really, really didn't seem happy with the fact that I have my own child!!! How odd....

samb
21-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Gosh that is odd! I have never heard of that before!

jumpinjen
21-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I have had enquiries before that weren't keen on other children at all..... i advised her that a nanny might be more suitable as I couldn't give one to one. Plus I home educate my children so all mine are home all day, not just before and after school.... there are four of us, soon to be five and there are lots of benefits to little ones of playing with older/other children, parents don't always see that though, they want a focus on their (very precious to them) child! Don't be offended by it though!

jen x

Alibali
21-02-2011, 07:10 PM
No-one has ever asked me my age, I think a few of her questions are a bit odd.

jumpinjen
21-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I was grilled about my age too once, and my driving license (was it clean etc). I don't think she sounds that odd...... perhaps i just have lots of odd people enquire!!!!!

jen x

Alibali
21-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I was grilled about my age too once, and my driving license (was it clean etc). I don't think she sounds that odd...... perhaps i just have lots of odd people enquire!!!!!

jen x

I was asked about my driving license once, but that is understandable as I do drive the lo's about, but at the first phone call I'd think that a bit strange too, or maybe it's me who's a bit odd:laughing: :laughing:

jumpinjen
21-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I was asked about my driving license once, but that is understandable as I do drive the lo's about, but at the first phone call I'd think that a bit strange too, or maybe it's me who's a bit odd:laughing: :laughing:

I do wonder about us sometimes!!!!!:laughing:

onceinabluemoon
21-02-2011, 07:20 PM
My kids are always around too (also homeschooled) and so far nobody has found it a problem. In fact all but one of the mindees adore my teens and the parents think it's fab they interact with their little ones.

Sounds as if this one may not be really sure about leaving their little one so try not to feel hurt by their attitude.

The Juggler
21-02-2011, 10:11 PM
i think she sounds like she's after a nanny too - for one-to-one care. I don't home school but I promote my setting and the mixed age ranges as having the benefits of these family groups and the benefits that babies and toddlers get from mixing with these older age groups as well as peers.:D

Helcatt
21-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I've found having my own here tends to be a benefit. Lots of parents seem to think that as I'm feeding my own kids too, I won't be feeding them crap etc etc

Also, have found that my lovely big girl is so good at being on best behaviour at the right time,that I look like the best mum in the world. When she's on good form that is!

HX

tulip0803
21-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I have never had that before!!

One of my friends was informed that one parent did not want her to take on any other children as it upset her daughter! Three options given.
1 - Pay for all 3 spaces
2- Go find someone else (Nanny)
3 - Lump it

They chose option 3

snufflepuff
22-02-2011, 08:46 AM
I wasn't offended- that's probably not the sort of person I want to work with anyway hehe! She said she would be back in touch but I very much doubt it!

Happy Bunny
22-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I had a parent call once and she asked how many of my own children did i have, when i replied 5 her reponse was "oh my god, how on earth can you manage childminding on top of that"

georgie456
22-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I have never had that before!!

One of my friends was informed that one parent did not want her to take on any other children as it upset her daughter! Three options given.
1 - Pay for all 3 spaces
2- Go find someone else (Nanny)
3 - Lump it

They chose option 3

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I love this!

Cammie Doodle
22-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Some people are strange :rolleyes: One parent told me that I was not allowed a dog !!!!! Needless to say I did not have the child (lol it was a case of love me love my dog :blush: ) But some like the fact you have other children I got 2 of Mindees because I had my Foster baby at the time of their visit.

Mouse
22-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Over the years I've found that some parents don't want to use you if you have young children of your own as they think their child will be treated differently.

It's a fair point. I have a cm friend who has a 3yr old son. He's allowed to do whatever he wants (her view is it's his house, his toys, his mum), but she'll stop mindees doing the same as him. The other children all have to fit in around him. I've often seen them all standing around in the playground while her son plays - they're not allowed to move off until he says he's ready. She'll then have a go at the mindees for dawdling when X wants to get home! And in the house, if X wants to play with something the others have got to let him.

Obviously I'm not saying this is the case here, but it is a reason why some parents want a cm with no children, or older children.

caz3007
22-02-2011, 10:33 AM
It's a fair point. I have a cm friend who has a 3yr old son. He's allowed to do whatever he wants (her view is it's his house, his toys, his mum), but she'll stop mindees doing the same as him. The other children all have to fit in around him. I've often seen them all standing around in the playground while her son plays - they're not allowed to move off until he says he's ready. She'll then have a go at the mindees for dawdling when X wants to get home! And in the house, if X wants to play with something the others have got to let him.

OMG cant believe the playground bit, that they arent allowed to play until he says so. Actually I cant believe the whole thing. I certainly wouldnt want my child looked after by someone who allows their own child to make the rules.

Mouse
22-02-2011, 10:38 AM
OMG cant believe the playground bit, that they arent allowed to play until he says so. Actually I cant believe the whole thing. I certainly wouldnt want my child looked after by someone who allows their own child to make the rules.

And she wonders why her son is a spoiled brat! It started becasue she didn't want her son to feel pushed out by childminding (fair enough), but it's gone to such an extreme that he rules everything. If she's planned a day out, but he doesn't want to go, she cancels it. She's absolutely drained by it all. She knows she's got to get a grip, but doesn't have the energy to deal with it. I've told her she needs Super Nanny!

maryp0ppins
22-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Over the years I've found that some parents don't want to use you if you have young children of your own as they think their child will be treated differently.

It's a fair point. I have a cm friend who has a 3yr old son. He's allowed to do whatever he wants (her view is it's his house, his toys, his mum), but she'll stop mindees doing the same as him. The other children all have to fit in around him. I've often seen them all standing around in the playground while her son plays - they're not allowed to move off until he says he's ready. She'll then have a go at the mindees for dawdling when X wants to get home! And in the house, if X wants to play with something the others have got to let him.Obviously I'm not saying this is the case here, but it is a reason why some parents want a cm with no children, or older children.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kindredspirits
22-02-2011, 01:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had this exact arugment with my DH - I told George no for snatching a toy off another child at home - DH says 'they're his toys' :rolleyes: I very calmly explained to my childish DH that I don't want our son turning into a bully, I don't expect him to snatch and I ask him if there are toys he doesn't want to share and they all go away.

Deb
22-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I have 5 of my own, two of which are under 8. They keep their own toys in their room, the stuff downstairs are my resources. No one has first claim. When I'm working, they are mindees :)

I had a call once asking if had a space, I did, but she would only come and see me if I was an outstanding minder as her daughter was a princess and very special. :eek:

Yep, good luck with that.

Helcatt
22-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I had a call once asking if had a space, I did, but she would only come and see me if I was an outstanding minder as her daughter was a princess and very special. :eek:

Yep, good luck with that.

I've had a few like that! think she changed that when she realised that there were only 5 in the whole borough and none near her!

Lick'le Oakes
22-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I had a lady phone ask lots of personal questions including....my weight:eek: :eek:

jo f
23-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Your weight???? :eek:

Lick'le Oakes
23-02-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah honestly, she was a doctor and must have wanted a healthy childmiinder:D

Deb
23-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Minder has vacancies:
own car and teeth
BMI 31
Non-smoker/No SOH

Monkey26
23-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I often get asked my age at the first visit but i think thats because im 24 (been minding since 20) and look young and don't have any children of my own! Having said that, since i got married prospective parents haven't asked!? Have i aged, is it the fact im married or just a coincidence?! HAHA xx