PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted again!

Bananabrain
21-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Have just spoken to them regarding food hygiene.
My questions were: Is it still a 'core' course like it used to be? ie a legal requirement
And, Is there a specific course needed and does it need to be a specific length of time {like first-aid has to be 12 hrs}
The answer was that she 'didn't know'.
She referred me to the Food Standards Agency' website.
I don't understand.
Surely if it is a legal requirement, there must be some standards/criteria to judge on?
Am I being thick?
Help please lovely people.
I ask these questions because I don't want to waste time doing the wrong one.
Why is it that I keep phoning Ofsted and the NCMA and keep getting the 'I don't know' response?
I really don't know what I would do without this forum!!!

Mouse
21-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I didn't think food hygiene was a legal requirement. If it is, I'd be interested to know as my certificate is almost 3 years old.

nic t
21-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Having a food hygiene certificate is not a legal requirement.

sarah707
21-02-2011, 06:57 PM
It is not a legal requirement of the Eyfs as Mouse says.

It is good practice to have a qualification renewed every 3 years - you can do it online or go on a course.

However you might find it is a local requirement depending on the Environmental Health department at your council.

I would ask them!

Hth :D

Penny1959
21-02-2011, 07:11 PM
It is not a legal requirement of the Eyfs as Mouse says.

It is good practice to have a qualification renewed every 3 years - you can do it online or go on a course.

However you might find it is a local requirement depending on the Environmental Health department at your council.

I would ask them!

Hth :D

Agree with Sarah
Not a requirement of EYFS - is good practice.
Some La's require it as part of their quality assurance schemes.

EH may suggest that you need it but in fact they should only require that you follow Safer Food Better Business if sticking to National Guidelines.

It is a minefield out there and the answer you get will be different every time!

Sorry I know that is not much help

Penny :)

Donkey
21-02-2011, 07:48 PM
its good practice to renew every 3 years...

my local workforce development team put the training on for us this time, I paid for my last one.

I did a level 2 in food safety in catering which was run by the CIEH via st johns ambulance...

good luck!

Bananabrain
21-02-2011, 08:21 PM
You see that's my problem!
Ofsted told me it is a legal requirement. Everyone on here says different stuff.
I'm still none the wiser with regard to exactly what course and what duration!
If Ofsted say they don't know, or to be precise 'that's not in our remit' who the ...............does know?
And how are we mere childminders supposed to keep up?
I know I'm picky, but I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability.

Mouse
21-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Ofsted told me it is a legal requirement. Everyone on here says different stuff.
I'm still none the wiser with regard to exactly what course and what duration!
If Ofsted say they don't know, or to be precise 'that's not in our remit' who the ...............does know?
And how are we mere childminders supposed to keep up?
I know I'm picky, but I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability.

Who at Ofsted told you it was a legal requirement? Can you get back in touch with them & ask them where it says that?

Blackcat
21-02-2011, 08:48 PM
its not required but they like you to have it.
I did mine online took about 30 mins plus a test and you get your cert within 2 days
and its a level 2 catering one cost me £15

Chimps Childminding
21-02-2011, 09:28 PM
its not required but they like you to have it.
I did mine online took about 30 mins plus a test and you get your cert within 2 days
and its a level 2 catering one cost me £15

We have just done that!! Think it was £25, but done in a morning and certificate arrived a couple of days later!! There is a link on forum somewhere - not sure where though :blush:

miffy
21-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Do you have the name of the person you spoke to? Perhaps then you can get back in touch with them and ask again.

Perhaps it would be an idea to e-mail Ofsted your questions so that you get a written response and a contact name.

Meanwhile I'll just repeat what everyone else has said, a food hygiene certificate is not a legal requirement atm.

Miffy xx