PDA

View Full Version : Only 3 under 8yrs?

jo.jo76
21-02-2011, 04:25 PM
I know when my pre-reg inspector was here she said that I would only get 2 in the Early Years range as my own daughter is 16 months. My other chidlren are 8, 10 and 12, so do not affect my numbers.

But didn't realise until I looked at my registration that it says "may care for no more than 3 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 2 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time"

I was surprised as I thought it was normally 6 under 8! Just wondering how many children most people have been given?

mr man
21-02-2011, 04:39 PM
hope im right in saying, we can have 3 under 5 and 3 aged 5-7 ( makes the 6)
my son is 7 so u can have 5 under 8.

i was told they also take into account how much space/room you have, so maybe the other 4 children ( your own) this is also taken into account too. iykwim

i'm sure someone more wise will be a long :)

onceinabluemoon
21-02-2011, 04:46 PM
It depends on the amount of space you have too although I would have thought the inspctor would have told you if space restricted you at the time.

Perhaps they've made a mistake, they're only human, give them a ring and ask them to explain .

wendywu
21-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Does not sound quite right to me, give them a ring and ask why :panic:

jo.jo76
21-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, my house is not huge and haven't got a separate playroom, but it is 3 bedroom with lounge/diner and kitchen, downstairs toilet and bathroom upstairs. Also have garage which has all equipment and toys that are not in use are stored in. Plus garden. And I have registered whole house.
I remember her saying it that house is small and we talked about numbers changing when DD goes to school but expected to be able to have more than 3 now!

Kezzle
21-02-2011, 06:51 PM
They think your house is small :eek: uh oh, my house must be tiny then.

What do you think they may say to me (when the time comes?)

I have

ground floor: lounge, kitchen and utility back door lead to smaaaaaall garden of irregular shape with shed storage. (I literally live like 2minutes from a great park though)

1st floor: box room which is my 'office', double bedroom and bathroom, stairs to second floor

2nd floor: currently used as my OH's boys room where he likes to play xbox and it's his office.. plenty of storage tucked away too.

Penny1959
21-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I know when my pre-reg inspector was here she said that I would only get 2 in the Early Years range as my own daughter is 16 months. My other chidlren are 8, 10 and 12, so do not affect my numbers.

But didn't realise until I looked at my registration that it says "may care for no more than 3 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 2 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any one time"

I was surprised as I thought it was normally 6 under 8! Just wondering how many children most people have been given?

Agree best to phone and check that way you will know if been a mistake or know the reason if number on certificate correct.

Penny :)

FizzWizz
21-02-2011, 08:05 PM
My pre-reg inspector filled in part of her form with me and calculated the numbers wrong (I have my own two under five) - if I had not pointed it out I would have got the wrong numbers on my certificate so always best to phone and check... I'm sure if it was a space restriction she would have made it pretty clear at the time.

jo.jo76
21-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks everyone, think I will definitely ring and double check in the morning! Was curious if anyone else has had numbers restricted because of space

keeks
21-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone, think I will definitely ring and double check in the morning! Was curious if anyone else has had numbers restricted because of space

Yes, I would call them. I had my numbers restricted to 3 children under 5's and 1 child 5-7. I have got a two double bed converted upstairs flat. I haven't got a garden but am 5 mins from a lovely big park. I wouldn't want more children but my inspector said if I really wanted more children they would come in and measure and see what changes might need to be made to make more space.

Good luck!
xx

tulip0803
21-02-2011, 10:38 PM
When I first registered they did put a restriction on my numbers as I did not have "experience" other than my own children and I could only have 3 children(it was a very long time ago though). I was soon able to up the numbers though. It isn't common but I have heard of others having this done too.

They may just be concerned that you don't bite off more than you can chew when you first start as you also have 3 more over 8 to consider too. I was told that even when DS reached 8 (he was 7y 11m when I registered) it would not be automatic for me to be able to have the extra space anyway. (I was and they did IYSWIM). They may want to be sure that the care of the older children does not impact on the care of the under 8s as it says in the regs but she should have explained this with you.

Definately ring to check

Helcatt
21-02-2011, 10:58 PM
When I first registered they did put a restriction on my numbers as I did not have "experience" other than my own children and I could only have 3 children(it was a very long time ago though). I was soon able to up the numbers though. It isn't common but I have heard of others having this done too.

They may just be concerned that you don't bite off more than you can chew when you first start as you also have 3 more over 8 to consider too.

I had the same, as soon as I had my first inspection though, the restriction was lifted and I was allowed a higher number.

I am now wondering if they will allow us to increase numbers if I get hubby listed as my assistant

HX

jo.jo76
21-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Ah ok, glad others have had this too!

I do have experience, I am a TA3 at primary school and I'm used to managing a class of 30, sometimes on my own, so only being allowed 3 in my own home I was feeling a little put out! lol

tulip0803
22-02-2011, 06:02 PM
I had the same, as soon as I had my first inspection though, the restriction was lifted and I was allowed a higher number.

I am now wondering if they will allow us to increase numbers if I get hubby listed as my assistant

HX

It seems that normal preactice with an assistant means that you will still be able to care for 6 children at a time but they could all be early years IYSWIM. Does depend on area though.

xdirtydancerx
23-02-2011, 12:56 AM
I would ring and check hun as my house is extremely tiny yet I can have 5 under 8 + my DD

skytvaddict
23-02-2011, 08:13 AM
You definitely need to ring and check - my house sounds the same size as yours (if not smaller) and I can have 4 under 8, only 1 being in early years plus my own two DSs of 3 and 2. I also have 14 and 10 year olds so there is not much space.

Sounds like they may have made a mistake to me.

~Grasshopper~
24-02-2011, 08:24 PM
hiya

Defo ring up. i live in a teeny tiny 2 bed semi with a odd garden so only a patio to play on and my 2 boys share one bedroom, us in the other and im reg for 4 children as my 2 boys are under 5's.

xx

Reggie
01-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi all,

Pleased to say after what appears to be a lifetime, I have now been told by my Inspector I will be getting a letter out to say I am registered and should have my certificate within 2 weeks. On my Inspector's visit we discussed numbers and we discussed 6 under the age of 8. But she mentioned on my Statement of purpose I needed to alter this to read 4 to exclude my own 2. I have 2 children which are 3/4 although now nearer 4/5, they both attend full time school so they are able to be counted in the over 5 section but after reading the forum, I am thinking they may have me down as 4 on the certificate, but is this definately going to be excluding my 2 or does it not work that way. Don't think it is a space issue as we have a larger than average kitchen, playroom and lounge. Garden is not very big but they commented it is plenty big enough.

Any suggestions I would be grateful.

welshcake
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi all,

Pleased to say after what appears to be a lifetime, I have now been told by my Inspector I will be getting a letter out to say I am registered and should have my certificate within 2 weeks. On my Inspector's visit we discussed numbers and we discussed 6 under the age of 8. But she mentioned on my Statement of purpose I needed to alter this to read 4 to exclude my own 2. I have 2 children which are 3/4 although now nearer 4/5, they both attend full time school so they are able to be counted in the over 5 section but after reading the forum, I am thinking they may have me down as 4 on the certificate, but is this definately going to be excluding my 2 or does it not work that way. Don't think it is a space issue as we have a larger than average kitchen, playroom and lounge. Garden is not very big but they commented it is plenty big enough.

Any suggestions I would be grateful.

I have just gone to read mine as i have 3 kids of my own 6, 5 and 3 my certificate says i must care for no more than 3 under 8 and only 1 in early yrs age gap but my 5 yr old was 4 at time of pre reg and i have a section that states they can be excluded from early yrs age gap if they r in full time school, so i presume it means i can fill 3 places on top of my own 3. you have me wondering now x

berkschick
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
The number on your certificate is the number you are allowed to mind in addition to your own children.

You need to ring OFSTED and get your children moved up through the age groups.

NickyKD
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm confused now, i thought the number on the registration certificate was the number we could look after including our own children not in addition to. I am only allowed 3 under 8 aswell and i have 2 daughters aged 6 and 12 so i thought i was only allowed 2 more under 8

Minstrel
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm confused now, i thought the number on the registration certificate was the number we could look after including our own children not in addition to. I am only allowed 3 under 8 aswell and i have 2 daughters aged 6 and 12 so i thought i was only allowed 2 more under 8

The numbers on your certificate are the amount of minded children you may care for at any one time.

Your own 6 yr old (12yr old obviously doesn't count) will have already been deducted from the maximum of 6 under 8.

Which begs the question, if these are your only 2 children, why doesn't your cert say 'must care for no more than 5 under 8 and with no more than 3 of these being in the early years at any one time.' ???

~Grasshopper~
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
your own children are definatley NOT included on your cert, i can have 1 under 5 and 3 x 5-8's as i have 2 of my own under 5's.

xx

Reggie
01-03-2011, 09:20 PM
I can see I have definately started something here! Think I will give CSSIW a quick call tomorrow to confirm that the number on my certificate is excluding my own 2. We did discuss putting my 2 in the over 5 and I mentioned that I had been asked about 2 children after school in Sept 11, one will be 3 and the other 4 and they said I could put one in under 5 and one in over 5 group to suit myself so think I will just confirm what the certificate will be saying.

Thanks all, I can see an interesting topic!

NickyKD
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
The numbers on your certificate are the amount of minded children you may care for at any one time.

Your own 6 yr old (12yr old obviously doesn't count) will have already been deducted from the maximum of 6 under 8.

Which begs the question, if these are your only 2 children, why doesn't your cert say 'must care for no more than 5 under 8 and with no more than 3 of these being in the early years at any one time.' ???

Thanks for clearing that up, i am in a 2 bed maisonette and i did discuss with the inspector the space we have and we agreed that 3 would be enough. When the certificate came i did expect it so say 4 under 8 which would include my daughter so it makes sense she has been taken off

Minstrel
01-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, i am in a 2 bed maisonette and i did discuss with the inspector the space we have and we agreed that 3 would be enough. When the certificate came i did expect it so say 4 under 8 which would include my daughter so it makes sense she has been taken off

No problem - glad you have it clear in your head now x

tulip0803
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I can see I have definately started something here! Think I will give CSSIW a quick call tomorrow to confirm that the number on my certificate is excluding my own 2. We did discuss putting my 2 in the over 5 and I mentioned that I had been asked about 2 children after school in Sept 11, one will be 3 and the other 4 and they said I could put one in under 5 and one in over 5 group to suit myself so think I will just confirm what the certificate will be saying.

Thanks all, I can see an interesting topic!

Hi Reggie

The CSSIW certificate does not include your own children either. Mine says 5 under 8 as I have a 7 year old.:thumbsup:

You will need a change of certificate if yours are not in the right age group.