PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journals : Equivalent for Wales?

webbthomas
20-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi
I'm in the pre-reg stage and writing up my risk assessments, policies, etc. :eek: However, writing these up has started me thinking about what other documents, etc, I will need to be recording a child's development during their time with me ... because we are not governed (though I'm sure it will catch up with us) by the EYFS in Wales, what's the equivalent we can do for our mindees. Is it simply the Daily Diary? Is there a specific template for this? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here :blush: and perhaps I've been on this computer too long!! Thanks for your help.

Polly2
21-02-2011, 09:19 AM
You are right we don't have the EYFS paperwork requirements in Wales however it is good practice to complete some sort of learning journal for the children.

Sarah707 has written an e book with templates for these which I found really helpful to adapt.

Otherwise you could make up your own. :thumbsup:

aly
21-02-2011, 10:16 AM
as Polly says,
I do planning, and obs but I know CSSIW has said we dont NEED to do the other things like our english peers but I think if/when we do eventually get EYFS it wont be such a shock if we plan doing stuff similar before it comes in...though I have heard rumours from a teraching assistant ion my kids school that they are gonna scrap the foundation stage anyway...who knows eh!

lol

x

Emmylou75
22-02-2011, 08:57 PM
I do daily journal sheets so parents know how they've been, what they've eaten, nappies, what activities they've done etc...
I made them myself & they are very simple A5 tick sheets which they keep in an A5 folder they bring when they come. All my parents are happy with this & have never asked for anymore feedback but I have started doing development files which I give out to parents every 4 months which consist of observations I make & any artwork they do. When I had my inspection last year the inspector said they werent compulsory but they are good practice & if the parents appreciate them then carry on :)

Emma x

manjay
24-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I think you would find it difficult to prove you fulfil Standard 7 without keeping some kind of planning and developmental records.

I do deliver the Foundation Phase (which is actually a fab curriculum) but I follow the same principles with all of the children. My pre schoolers have daily diaries which go home each day. That has info about food, nappies, activities, sleeps etc. Each child then has a learning journal which I link to developmental outcomes within each area of the Foundation Phase. This has artwork, planned observations, spontaneaous observations, photos, etc. By keeping records in this way means that I can plan for each childs next steps.

All the things I do have developed over the 3 years I have been minding so definitely not something that happens overnight. If you don't have any knowledge of the Foundation Phase curriculum you might want to have a look.