PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillitis

snufflepuff
20-02-2011, 07:00 PM
My son has been diagnosed with tonsillitis today and is now on antibiotics. Would you close tomorrow if you were in my situation? The HPA guidance says there is no exclusion period. If I am to stay open, do you think I should let parents know? And if they say they want to keep their child away would you still charge?

Deb
20-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Depends really, how old is your child? If it were on of my older boys that could stay in their rooms all day watching tele I wouldnt mention it - but the boys would be told not to come downstairs at all whilst I was working.

If it were one of my younger boys (6 and 5) and I they were okish and didnt need nursing all day, then i would give the parents the option of not bringing their child and then I wouldnt charge.

mushpea
20-02-2011, 07:28 PM
if theres no exclusion period does this mean its not contagious? if so then i would just open as normal,, you can mention it to parents but say itsnot contagious and there fore will charge if they dont come,, put yourself in the other shoes,,, would you accept a child with tonsilits,, if the answer is yes then yes i would charge if they dont come.

snufflepuff
20-02-2011, 07:45 PM
put yourself in the other shoes,,, would you accept a child with tonsilits,, if the answer is yes then yes i would charge if they dont come.

This was exactly what I was thinking- if a child is on antibiotics I ask that they don't come for 24 hours incase they have a reaction but after that i'd be happy for them to attend as long as they are happy enough in themselves/ able to join in as normal etc.

Minstrel
20-02-2011, 08:19 PM
It is contagious but very dificult to catch unless they are going around licking people etc [yuk]

The Juggler
20-02-2011, 09:51 PM
i didn't close when dd had it. she stayed in her room most of the time but she was very ill. I wouldn't accept a child with it in first 48 hours on antibiotics unless they miraculously get better really quickly as they need to be in bed and with their parents.

Trouble
20-02-2011, 10:53 PM
my son has toncilitus to at the min, and after two trips to a=e with him this weekend i have shut for tomorrow and possibly even tuesday.

he needs my time as someone has just told me :D :thumbsup: